Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2023 8:44:35 AM EDT
If you have a DNR account on Go Wild, you probably got this too.

MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) today announced it will hold a public hearing on proposed permanent rules to revise chapters NR 1, 11, 45, 51, 115 and 116 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code, relating to a variety of DNR property management regulations. The public may submit comments on the proposed revisions through Dec. 10.

The rule updates for this package include important topics such as department fee structures, vehicle and boat use regulations, camping rules and hours of operation, technology regulations, rules relating to the possession of animals, general property use rules and property-specific rules. All rules under consideration in this rule package are specific to DNR-managed lands only and do not govern non-DNR lands.

The public may review the scope statement, rule package and plain language summary on the NR 45 rule webpage. The DNR encourages the public to learn more about the rule changes and provide comments by joining a virtual hearing on Tuesday, Dec. 5 at 4:30 p.m. via Zoom. Registration is required, and participants can register at any time until the hearing is concluded.

All comments on the proposed rule must be received on or before Dec. 10, 2023. Written comments may be submitted by U.S. mail or email and will have the same weight and effect as oral statements presented at the public hearing.

Submit written comments and any questions on the proposed rules to:      

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Attn: Brigit Brown
P.O. Box 7921
101 S. Webster Street
Madison, WI 53707-7921
[email protected] or 608-219-1295

This section pertains to shooting ranges on state owned land.

SECTION 77. NR 45.095 (1) (b), (g), (i), (m), and (p) are amended to read:
NR 45.095 (1) (b) Discharge or handle any weapon on the range while any part of a person is
down range of the firing line.
(g) Shoot at targets that are not placed in a designated target area or affixed to target stands, if
provided, or move target stands unless the person is sighting or patterning a shotgun with size T or
smaller shot.
(i) Unless otherwise posted at the range, shoot Shoot during the period beginning at sunset and
ending at sunrise any time outside the posted hours of operation.
(m) Use Except in accordance with permit issued by the department, use incendiary, exploding,
glass, plastic, metal, clay, or other breakable materials as targets.
(p) While shooting at a shooting range, possess or, consume, or be impaired by an intoxicant or
other restricted controlled substance.
SECTION 78. NR 45.095 (q) to (s) are created to read:
NR 45.095 (1) (q) Use a firearm other than a handgun, as defined under s. 175.60 (1) (bm), Stats.,
on any designated handgun range.
(r) Shoot from anywhere other than the designated firing position or firing line.
(s) Shoot armor piercing, tracers, incendiary ammunition, or any weapon chambered in .50
BMG.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't really see anything spooky in there, unless I missed something.   Interesting, I've got a Go Wild acct. and didn't get anything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
So now they want to prohibit people shooting 50's at the state owned ranges? What is this absolute fear that people have about 50bmg? WHen was the last time one was used in a crime? I've had people tell me that 50bmg will go through 30' of dirt. Funniest thing is alot of the places that wont let people pop off a 50bmg have no problems with people using 700NE there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:39:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm guessing it's an energy thing and not a 50 bmg thing. But you do make a valid point.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 2:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just trade the .50 off for a 600 Nitro Express.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 8:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob940:
So now they want to prohibit people shooting 50's at the state owned ranges? What is this absolute fear that people have about 50bmg? WHen was the last time one was used in a crime? I've had people tell me that 50bmg will go through 30' of dirt. Funniest thing is alot of the places that wont let people pop off a 50bmg have no problems with people using 700NE there.
View Quote

They say it's a maintainance reason. Sounds like they're saying 50BMG does too much damage to backstops.

SECTION 78 prohibits the use of firearms other than handguns at handgun ranges, prohibits shooting
from anywhere other than designated position or firing line, and prohibits armor piercing, tracer,
incendiary, and .50 BMG ammunition in order to extend the service of range backstops and reduce
closures for maintenance.

It's here in this linked PDF -> https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/sites/default/files/topic/Rules/PR0320DraftRule2.pdf
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By kapusta:
I didn't really see anything spooky in there, unless I missed something.   Interesting, I've got a Go Wild acct. and didn't get anything.
View Quote

I got it yesterday. Interesting... I have multiple e-mail accounts, and this was not sent to one I use on my Go Wild account.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:

They say it's a maintainance reason. Sounds like they're saying 50BMG does too much damage to backstops.

View Quote
Thats a load of crap. If they had steel targets I could see that, but fucking wood backers? A 50bmg makes the same hole as a .500s&w, .50ae, .50 beowulf and .50 blackpowder. a 12ga slug makes bigger holes and shreds wood worse. Or how about people using 00buck?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd rather just go out to some dead end logging road in the national forest anyway.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Flathead9:
I'd rather just go out to some dead end logging road in the national forest anyway.
View Quote

And if you run into an old man with a green '04 Wrangler Rubicon, stop and say "hi"...
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]

And if you run into an old man with a green '04 Wrangler Rubicon, stop and say "hi"...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'll keep an eye out...we're back above Hwy 70 once again...got our retirement home in Vilas now.

Gonna need some locks changed in a couple months if you're still working?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:40:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#11]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

I'll keep an eye out...we're back above Hwy 70 once again...got our retirement home in Vilas now.

Gonna need some locks changed in a couple months if you're still working?
View Quote

Got ya covered...

still working part time, I consider myself "semi" retired, I'm almost 74, collect pension & S.S. so don't need it...  

but  ...

doing safe jobs mostly ...

not advertising, at all ...

not actively monitoring phone nor answering phone when home, letting all calls go to answering machine to weed out the tele-scammers.... unless I'm near it and recognize caller on caller ID ...

no "billing" for later payment ... C.O.D. only - cash or check - no "plastic" in any form ...

all work is done by prior appointment only, not doing emergency service crap at all - scheduling jobs for monday, tuesday, thursday and friday only - I do NOT work on wednesdays, saturdays, nor sundays whatsoever ... nor in month of November after the 10th, nor the week I have a spring turkey tag, nor the first week of duck season...

There is younger locksmith in the area now also, to do all those 24/7 emergency calls. A girl in her 30s, and I've been "mentoring" her for 2 years now. She's born & raised here, and she's good at it too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 11:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Got ya covered...

still working part time, I consider myself "semi" retired, I'm almost 74, collect pension & S.S. so don't need it...  

but  ...

doing safe jobs mostly ...

not advertising, at all ...

not actively monitoring phone nor answering phone when home, letting all calls go to answering machine to weed out the tele-scammers.... unless I'm near it and recognize caller on caller ID ...

no "billing" for later payment ... C.O.D. only - cash or check - no "plastic" in any form ...

all work is done by prior appointment only, not doing emergency service crap at all - scheduling jobs for monday, tuesday, thursday and friday only - I do NOT work on wednesdays, saturdays, nor sundays whatsoever ... nor in month of November after the 10th, nor the week I have a spring turkey tag, nor the first week of duck season...

There is younger locksmith in the area now also, to do all those 24/7 emergency calls. A girl in her 30s, and I've been "mentoring" her for 2 years now. She's born & raised here, and she's good at it too.
View Quote

Great news...be in touch...
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By prebans:

I get it, but it’s frustrating only bringing the BMG out west of the Mississippi.
View Quote

Big +1. I miss the Dakotas; plenty of LONG distance shooting spots.

Any word on Shioton? I seem to recall that they banned BMG, but find no mention of it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 1:50:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Sand pits are everywhere
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top