Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2021 8:27:32 PM EDT
like the subject bar asks....

Anyone make a utv legal or have any experience making a Roxor able to be street licensed?  

I have a farm about 5 miles from town and it'd be great if I could use it on the farm but run into town when needed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
what county are you in ?? in Carroll all you need is a flag
and a triangle for the rural black tops  , in the town of Carrollton that's all you need aswell , SxS and golf carts are a means of transportation..
ive seen a few Talons & Razors on 65 hwy but they are running 60 mph+.

TS2

Link Posted: 8/25/2021 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
forgot to add , first of the month I was out in the Blackhills , Rushmore, strugis area , out there in S.D. and in Rapid City the police use the SXS  down town to cruz the area's and the SXS in that city are all licensed looks to be the same size plate as a motorcycle tag and they are everywhere in that city .

TS2
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Largely dependent on where you are. My town allows them with a license, but out in the county the rules get a little hazy. Other places have no restrictions, still other places restrict them from being on the road at all.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're going to call it a farm vehicle, it's not supposed to be driven outside of a certain radius from that farm.  Then I don't think it's supposed to be driven on state highways with the exception of crossing them.  

There's a bunch of rules about making them street legal too.  Windshield,  turn signals, horn, mirrors, etc.  Not too expensive to get that done.

Some towns have stickers for golf carts, but exclude utvs since they are not considered low speed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya might want to speak to a State Patrol officer in your area who inspects restored and homebuilt vehicles to see what makes a vehicle road legal and whether it can be licensed. DMV office might be another source of info on how, or if, one can license a off-road vehicle and what that requires.

Where I live which out in country is many small towns around me allow ATV/UTVs in them(without license plates) due to all the small(er) towns having farm communities around them, as one needs to travel through the town to get from one field to another.

When you find out what is needed in Mo, let us know as this might be some info needed for future passing on.

Link Posted: 8/26/2021 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what county are you in ?? in Carroll all you need is a flag
and a triangle for the rural black tops  , in the town of Carrollton that's all you need aswell , SxS and golf carts are a means of transportation..
ive seen a few Talons & Razors on 65 hwy but they are running 60 mph+.

TS2

https://i.imgur.com/ii9vYdB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JCrC9wo.jpg
View Quote

I'm in Pike county 1/2 way between Eolia and Bowling Green
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks FB,

Looks like the short answer is 'no'.  

A Roxor is basically a CJ with a 2.5 diesel engine in it.  Stripped down and sold as a utv.  It is relatively easy to make it street legal [it is street legal in other parts of the world].  

I wonder what it takes to license it as a street vehicle [after adding turn signals and mirrors]?
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the UTVs/ATVs are going to be county by county, and some municipalities within a county restrict them even though the county allows them. I think the bigger highways (63, 24, 50, 65, 70, 44, etc.) are no go, but I didn't actually look it up.

Your rig might be better than a UTV; If you check the motor vehicle code and make your rig compliant (Horn, lights, etc.) and get it inspected and buy a plate you can drive it anywhere you like.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#11]
An orange triangle and orange flag (minimum of 72" above ground) is state requirements. Follow the links that 67Firebird posted. And NO UTV's are not street legal in Missouri. Yes you can operate them on some paved roads but not on state or federal highways. Each county and municipality can and will set their own laws/ordinances on top of state laws.

The typical uses for operating of road vehicles on paved roads are for farm/landscaping uses and if you are disabled. Being disabled, I can operate my UTV on all secondary paved roads (no state/fed highways) without any restrictions between sunrise and sunset.  Most of the time the police won't mess with you unless there are certain ordinances/laws prohibiting UTV uses on paved roads or you are acting stupid.

Another very important note. If your UTV is 50" wide or less (per manufacturer) then you must register and title them just like you do with any ATV. For example, a Honda Pioneer 500 must be registered/titled and sticker renewed. If the UTV is 60" or wider, then they do NOT have to be registered/titled.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#12]
A lot of it is locally moderated.  Cass county went to a permit system which I think is smart.  The point of the permit is to show you have insurance coverage in case something happens on public roadways.  I carry full coverage on mine but I bet most have none at all.  I've never been bothered by local law enforcement even without a flag or triangle, however mine has headlights, brake and running lights.  

I'd say technically since a mahindra roxor hasn't gone through crash testing and all the other DOT requirements for a titled road vehicle, it's can't be fully street legal.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
There's ways to get the Roxers street legal but it involves jumping through some hoops that are questionable and if you ever were in a serious crash your insurance company may be less than thrilled about the situation.

I looked at them pretty hard a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth it for a 50 hp jeep.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There's ways to get the Roxers street legal but it involves jumping through some hoops that are questionable and if you ever were in a serious crash your insurance company may be less than thrilled about the situation.

I looked at them pretty hard a few years ago and decided it wasn't worth it for a 50 hp jeep.
View Quote

Any insight as to how to get them street legal would be a help.

Roxors are basically a CJ 5 which has proven to be road worthy.  

They can be tuned and increase the hp.  The one I'm considering is already tuned.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:53:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They can be tuned and increase the hp.  The one I'm considering is already tuned.
View Quote

Here is the short version.

Find a company that will help you register/title it in a state that allows the Roxor to be street legal. Then you have to reregister/transfer the title to the state you live in. There are a lot of hoops to jump through and it is not cheap either. And as others have said, it is still questionable on how legal it actually is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:11:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Deuskid

A good place to start.  https://www.dirtlegal.com/services/roxor-street-legal-registration
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#17]
LE doesn't seem to care about them where I live in Theodosia / Ozark County.
I see them flying down Hwy 160 all the time.

Some have triangles on them, most don't.

With the way folks cant stay in their own lanes going up hills and around blind curves here, I would not want to drive a SxS on these roads. Head on collisions are frequent in these parts. You want all the safety features (seat belts, airbags, etc) you can get.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks FB,

Looks like the short answer is 'no'.  

A Roxor is basically a CJ with a 2.5 diesel engine in it.  Stripped down and sold as a utv.  It is relatively easy to make it street legal [it is street legal in other parts of the world].  

I wonder what it takes to license it as a street vehicle [after adding turn signals and mirrors]?
View Quote

I'm going to guess the Roxor was imported for off road use only, and at some point you'll fall foul of the fact it's not 25yrs old and therefore has to meet current regulations for vehicles if you want to run it on the road (pretty sure it cant). Now the question would be did you know that...

Isnt there a Roxor office in O'Fallon (by Bristol Grill)

Is or was... https://www.globaltrademag.com/tech-mahindra-ltd-opens-ofallon-mo-location/
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm going to guess the Roxor was imported for off road use only, and at some point you'll fall foul of the fact it's not 25yrs old and therefore has to meet current regulations for vehicles if you want to run it on the road (pretty sure it cant). Now the question would be did you know that...

Isnt there a Roxor office in O'Fallon (by Bristol Grill)

Is or was... https://www.globaltrademag.com/tech-mahindra-ltd-opens-ofallon-mo-location/
View Quote

They're assembled in Auburn Hills, outside Detroit, Michigan, since March 2018, so the 25 year rule wouldn't apply to them. Yes, they're sold as off road only, but can be plated, if you sink some money into it.

I've personally seen 4 wheelers, plated, running around Jefferson City, in 2004.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38496/a-1300-mile-road-trip-in-a-mahindra-roxor-utv-shouldnt-be-possible-but-this-guy-pulled-it-off

Video of a guy in Columbia Missouri running it on the highway.

Mahindra Roxor episode 11 made it home 1500 miles
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LE doesn't seem to care about them where I live in Theodosia / Ozark County.
I see them flying down Hwy 160 all the time.

Some have triangles on them, most don't.

With the way folks cant stay in their own lanes going up hills and around blind curves here, I would not want to drive a SxS on these roads. Head on collisions are frequent in these parts. You want all the safety features (seat belts, airbags, etc) you can get.
View Quote

Well it is state law that any UTV/ATV/off rod vehicle that is operated on state secondary roads do in fact need to have the triangle AND a bicycle flat that is no less than 7 feet above the ground. See the links that 67Firebird posted earlier.

And local LE to include Sheriff departments and municipality departments don't always know what the state laws are.  I had a city officer try to write me a ticket for operating my UTV on city streets until I showed him RSMo 304.013 which states that since I am disabled, I can operate a UTV on paved secondary roads to include city streets between sun rise and sunset. My small town has since passed an ordinance allowing anyone to operate a UTV on city streets as long as they are at least 16, have a valid driver license and insurance. The triangle and flag are still required since that is state law.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm bumping this thread because I'm going to try and make my ROXOR street legal and then register it.  In theory [per DMV] there are forms, inspections and then the vehicle is 'recharacterised'.  It'll take some parts gathering and also time to install the necessary elements so it'll be a slow process.

I'll report back what my experience is after the project is completed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Two of the biggest hurdles to overcome is the top speed of 45 MPH and the lack of modern safety equipment. You can tune to increase the top speed fairly easy. Top speed for road legal vehicles in Missouri is a minimum of 55 MPH last time I checked.

Of course you will need parking lights, turn/hazard lights, license plate light, reverse lights and a horn. And if you have a windshield installed you must also have wipers installed and working. That is why you see a lot fo street legal dune buggy/rail cars without any windshields, no windshield - no wipers required.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm bumping this thread because I'm going to try and make my ROXOR street legal and then register it.  In theory [per DMV] there are forms, inspections and then the vehicle is 'recharacterised'.  It'll take some parts gathering and also time to install the necessary elements so it'll be a slow process.

View Quote

Awesome, keep us posted please.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you use the company's link that I post or are you going a different route?
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Two of the biggest hurdles to overcome is the top speed of 45 MPH and the lack of modern safety equipment. You can tune to increase the top speed fairly easy. Top speed for road legal vehicles in Missouri is a minimum of 55 MPH last time I checked.

Of course you will need parking lights, turn/hazard lights, license plate light, reverse lights and a horn. And if you have a windshield installed you must also have wipers installed and working. That is why you see a lot fo street legal dune buggy/rail cars without any windshields, no windshield - no wipers required.
View Quote

Re tuning for speed

Addressing all the issues
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Did you use the company's link that I post or are you going a different route?
View Quote

Different route....

Going to try and do this on my own.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Re tuning for speed

Addressing all the issues
View Quote
Let us know how that goes. And the reason I brought up windshields and having to have functioning wipers is that a lot of people will over look that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top