Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2020 9:18:34 PM EDT
I might be interested in some primer trades since I can't ship them after selling them.

That and it might be kinda fun to chat about it, talk about gear, etc.   All we talk about is depressing political stuff.

For example, I like the 7 station RCBS Pro Chucker but I do not like the lack of design quality.   I have it, it works great when it works, which is most of the time.   Maybe I have unrealistic expectations....  it's mainly the priming function that kinda sucks, but I hear other brands have primer trouble too, so maybe I shouldn't be looking at a Dillon with envy and lust ....

I mean, I know she likes be because she's smiling at me all the time that I look at her.
--
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
why cant you ship the primers after selling them? are you looking to sell locally?
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to sell primers locally, I can guarantee you will have no problem at any price in the neighborhood or reasonable. Likely the same for powder and maybe bullets.
Link Posted: 9/14/2020 4:03:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why cant you ship the primers after selling them? are you looking to sell locally?
View Quote

Shipping primers requires legal standards that I can't meet... that I know of.
Not a registered HazMat shipper/dealer, etc etc

Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:34:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Shipping primers requires legal standards that I can't meet... that I know of.
Not a registered HazMat shipper/dealer, etc etc

View Quote

I may be interested in some. where in ky are yoy?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Same here - would be interested in some primers!
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I started this thread with discussing reloading in mind and maybe making some mutual trades of primers or powder.
I don't exactly have any items in mind I wish to trade right now.

But if someone needed a bit of what I have, I would probably be able to make a swap happen.    I live south of Frankfort.

Did I mention that I am using a RCBS Pro Chucker 7 ?    Is anyone else working with that platform?   It seems okay but its factory-primer mechanism is no compliment to RCBS.
I think I've hacked my setup to work, but it's not 100% reliable, but it's much better than it was.    The redeeming feature is 7-stations vs the typical 4 or 5,
but with the primer feature the way it is, it's probably not much faster than a 6-8 station turret press.

If I add a case or bullet feeder, then I think it would exceed a turret, but I would have to keep a close eye on the primer mechanism to avoid small-disaster breaks or spills.

I've 'found' that many people prime by hand and ignore these slick 'auto priming' features (or not so slick...).   Doing it that way, even the Lee Loadmaster is a speed machine.
The youtubers like to resize on a single stage, prime by hand, and do all the rest on any progressive they have.   Seems to work well that way.

...shoulda got a Dillon.   haha
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, Dillons are great. RCBS single stage is what I started out on
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, Dillons are great. RCBS single stage is what I started out on
View Quote

Those are the two I currently have.  Along with a lee hand press for hotel room reloading.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I started on Lee breach lock and still use for decapping and rifle loading (no 223 for me). I bought a Dillon 550B for 9mm and love it.
Found the manual indexing better for errors that occur, either machine or myself induced. It's a little slower than auto indexing but I like the control it offers me and ability to double and triple check charges.

I'd like to get a turret press for rifle loading but that's down the road a bit as I sold my LR rifles for NV.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 11:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've run a lee challenger single stage for 9mm, 300blk, 45acp, and used to load 357/38 and 10mm, for the last 12 years since i started. Still haven't made the jump to a 650, mostly because i keep telling myself if i hold off I'll get a 1050.
P.s. i would trade a folgers bucket of primed and sized mixed range pickup 45acp large primer brass for same of 9mm brass. Primed brass can be shipped non hazmat btw.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Reviving this thread. Can anyone who has a Dillon SDB or 650/750 email me? Have some questions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm a filthy poor, who uses a Lee 4 hole turret press.

I can do about 100 rounds an hour and, my reloads are more accurate and reliable than most factory ammo.

I'll go back to my poor place now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I can do about 100 rounds an hour and, my reloads are more accurate and reliable than most factory ammo.

View Quote

the 100rds per hour killed me on my rcbs. great when young and have time, sucks when you volume shoot
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

the 100rds per hour killed me on my rcbs. great when young and have time, sucks when you volume shoot
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really need to step up to a progressive press.

The thing that stops me is my desire to visually confirm powder levels, in each case, before I seat the bullet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The thing that stops me is my desire to visually confirm powder levels, in each case, before I seat the bullet.
View Quote

You can do that on a progressive. I did, it wasn't just mindless pulling a lever. Progressive presses do suffer from primer seating issues, I had 0 issues in primer seating with single-stage but on 2 dillons I'd say 2% of primers didn't seat all the way. It wasn't an issue, great for training with malfunctions, and easily solved by putting a round in the chamber and letting the slide go forward.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#16]
My process for pistol ammo (usually 1000 to 1500 in a batch)...

Deprime on Rock Chucker and store dirty brass
Wet tumble and inspect when preparing to load a batch
Resize on Rock Chucker, chamber gauge, and store in gallon bag
Hand prime while watching TV using RCBS hand priming tool
Flair, charge, seat bullet, and crimp on Hornady LNL
Measure OAL and chamber gauge for final QC before storing in ammo can

My bottleneck process (usually 20 to 100 in a batch)...

Deprime on Rock Chucker and store dirty brass
Wet tumble and inspect when preparing to load a batch
Resize on Rock Chucker, trim, deburr, chamber gauge, and store in gallon bag
Hand prime while watching TV using RCBS hand priming tool
Use Rock Chucker for the remainder of the process in conjunction with a Chargemaster
Measure OAL and chamber gauge for final QC before storing

I shoot a good bit of revolver so I really like/need Federal Primers. If anyone in central KY would like to trade Winchester/CCI primers for Federal primers, I would be up for it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can do that on a progressive. I did, it wasn't just mindless pulling a lever. Progressive presses do suffer from primer seating issues, I had 0 issues in primer seating with single-stage but on 2 dillons I'd say 2% of primers didn't seat all the way. It wasn't an issue, great for training with malfunctions, and easily solved by putting a round in the chamber and letting the slide go forward.
View Quote

I had primer seating issues on my 550B using CCI small pistol for 9mm. Made a thread in reloading section, can't find due to archives being offline, but the conciseness was CCI is a bit thicker than others.
I switched to Winchester and have had zero problems in several thousand rounds *knocks on wood
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Once I get settled in and get the Redding T-7 and Dillon 650 set up, it’ll be a party.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't like storing dirty brass, so my processes have been as follows:

Pistol Brass:
Dump in an ultrasonic cleaner, then dry it
inspect, deprime/resize, then flair the brass
Store the brass in gallon bags.

When ready to load, prime the brass, then charge, then seat a bullet.

Rifle Brass:
Deprime the brass
Clean in an ultrasonic cleaner, then dry it
inspect, resize, and if needed, ream primer pocket and trim, then clean the brass again.
Store in a gallon bag.

When ready to load, prime the brass, then charge, then seat a bullet.

I use a RCBS RockChucker, and the RCBS electronic Chargemaster.

If someone is in Louisville, I'd be happy to trade either CCI 41 or CCI 34 primers for some small pistol primers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm coming in late on this one but visual confirmation is no problem with a progressive. For typical 9mm, 45 ACP and 223/556, the powder is readily visible in the case with little to no movement on your part. Once you get into a rhythm, it's super easy to incorporate the powder glance into the rotate/place bullet/new case action.  I even load my 600yd ammo on the 550b and weigh each charge after it drops. It's just a process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top