Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2020 3:01:24 PM EDT
Heard this morning about the fires. Most of our family lives in Salem, some out in molalla, and they're sorta getting ready to go since Scott's Mills evac order was sent out about half hour ago.

I'm a little suspicious about the wide spread of so many insta fires.

Anyway, hope you're safe and it either doesn't reach you or passes you by.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Heard this morning about the fires. Most of our family lives in Salem, some out in molalla, and they're sorta getting ready to go since Scott's Mills evac order was sent out about half hour ago.

I'm a little suspicious about the wide spread of so many insta fires.

Anyway, hope you're safe and it either doesn't reach you or passes you by.
View Quote

It's a bit surreal.  Lived in Salem my entire life, and never had this much smoke in town.  Outlying towns are getting ready to evac now, and there is still a good bit of wind.  Hopefully they are able to get things under control soon, if any part of Salem proper needs to evac it's going to be a shitshow.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m south of Canby and 1.2 miles away from mandatory evacuation. Guess I’m not sleeping tonight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
We are out of Eugene. Lots of friends up the McKenzie getting burnt though. We are a long ways from any active fires, but getting are things in order in case anything else sparks up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m at the mouth of the Santiam Canyon and it’s been a day.  Sounds like Gates is a total loss.  Mill City got hit hard.  Lyons/Mehama, too.  Genes Meats is a pile of smoking rubble.  Facebook rumor mongers say Gingerbread House burned down, but it was actually the old Swiss Village.  The smoke out here has been fucking miserable all day.  I’ve lived in the general Salem area all my life and have never seen anything like this.  It looked like night most of the day.  

This was 10:00 am this morning and about as light as it got until about 1:00.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m in aurora and it’s smoky as hell.  Getting the vehicles packed just in case.  People from Molalla Colton etc are gassing up in Canby Oregon city. Molalla evacuating, 213 shutdown between Molalla to Estacada.  Prayers to all. We are condition green right now as of 9:51 am
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Salem about 3:30pm
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm bugged out in little camp trailer in Molalla area.

This pic was taken around 8am this morning. Should be bright blue sky, but it is pitch black
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Clackamas area, level 2 but am hopeful for Mon/Tues weather.

Where can the wife and I drive that has little or no smoke? Shits sucks, makes me want to kick a hippy...
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Driving here won't get you out of the smoke, SW Washington is in the thick of it too. Wind blew the smoke out over the ocean, now its coming back inland as the light winds shift to a westerly direction.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, you’re realistically looking at an 8-10 hour drive one way to get out of the smoke at this point, I think.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
My son went from Salem to the coast up near Tillamook to a hotel to get away from the smoke. Said it was nice. We were down around Detroit and Mill city as the fire were coming in, glad to be home now in 40 degree weather. He used to live in Stayton, glad he moved to Salem.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I was up the McKenzie valley past Vida yesterday and had trouble figuring out where I was with no visual reference due to smoke and burnt landscape.    It was surreal.  Wearing a kn95 mask with a cloth mask over helped some.  When I got back to town the white mask was brown.  It’s the worst smoke I’ve ever experienced.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 4:22:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Our whole state is under hazardous air conditions. It’s bad in Central Oregon.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
We have smoke over in north Idaho. Stay safe over there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top