Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2018 2:54:01 AM EDT
Anyone around do this? Thinking of giving it a run this winter/spring. Have plain ol 5.56, I know .223 will go thru 556 brl, but how much difference in bullet size between the two is there? For nightime hunting.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I use the same bullets when handloading 223 or 556, 556 just has more pressure, therefore more FPS
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:18:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I know .223 will go thru 556 brl, but how much difference in bullet size between the two is there?
View Quote

Same bullet & chamber. The throat is cut differently in the barrel. You will have no issue shooting .223 through a 5.56 chamber.

eta: good luck with the coyotes. Seems like the only time I see them is when I’m not looking for them. If I’m holding a gun, they’re nowhere to be seen.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anyone around do this? Thinking of giving it a run this winter/spring. Have plain ol 5.56, I know .223 will go thru 556 brl, but how much difference in bullet size between the two is there? For nightime hunting.
View Quote

You may want to double check the law for night hunting. I'm pretty sure the only rounds legal for nightime is a 22 long rifle or shotgun. Your good on the 223 for daytime though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:38:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You may want to double check the law for night hunting. I'm pretty sure the only rounds legal for nightime is a 22 long rifle or shotgun. Your good on the 223 for daytime though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is correct. Only rounds legal for night hunts are .22 and shotgun with other than slugs
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is correct. Only rounds legal for night hunts are .22 and shotgun with other than slugs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DNR allowed centerfire at night 2 years ago.

.269 or smaller diameter.
Below shotgun line, private land only.
Above shotgun line, no centerfire on state parks or recreational areas.
Everywhere else is good to go above the shotgun line.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

DNR allowed centerfire at night 2 years ago.

.269 or smaller diameter.
Below shotgun line, private land only.
Above shotgun line, no centerfire on state parks or recreational areas.
Everywhere else is good to go above the shotgun line.
View Quote
This is correct,
Night vision is also allowed as long as it operates by “ amplifying natural light”, laser aiming devices including ir still fall under the laser restrictions though, it’s kind of a wash unless your using dedicated nv or thermal sights
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My brother's co-worker hunts the behind my house and across the street.  The guy works second shift, and I can tell when it's end of shift because I can hear his caller being used.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've recently picked it up. I suck at it so far... Only one yote down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top