Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2020 8:42:38 PM EDT
https://www.facebook.com/groups/759813111155782

Simply cut and paste into your email and send!

Add your local (D) legislators to the list of (D) committee members included here (visit https://www.waguncontrol.org/legislators to find them)

To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Subject: PLEASE OPPOSE HB 2240

House Civil Rights & Judiciary Committee members,

Please oppose HB 2240 relating to high capacity magazines. Magazine restrictions present a safety issue for the citizens of the State of Washington and are unconstitutional (District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570)

·  There is no data to support magazine capacity restrictions having any impact on public safety.
·  These bills would be in direct conflict of law on day one with the current US 9th District Court ruling (Duncan vs Becerra, CA 2018), which determined magazine restrictions an unconstitutional restriction.
·  Magazine restrictions disproportionately affect low-income, racial, and ethnic minorities, the elderly, and people with disabilities who rely on the current standard capacity of magazines when defending themselves from multiple assailants.
·  Criminals by definition do not comply with the law and will always find a way to gain access to high capacity magazines. HB 2240 puts more firepower into the streets while restricting law-abiding citizens’ ability to defend their friends and families with equal protection.
·  HB 2240 puts unnecessary financial burden on our citizens living in low-economic neighborhoods, as they would have to purchase new magazines to conform to the proposed bill. This effectively renders those affected less safe.
·  The financial effect of HB 2240 would be large with our youth and their families participating in sanctioned firearm sporting events.
View Quote
To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Subject: PLEASE OPPOSE HB 1315

House Civil Rights & Judiciary Committee members,

Please oppose HB 1315 regarding training for concealed carry permits. Training requirements are discriminatory, create undue burden for low-income constituents, and deprive them of civil rights. As well:

·  Training requirements disproportionately impact low-income, racial, and ethnic minorities, the elderly, and people with disabilities
·  Such voters have greater difficulty in obtaining training of any kind due to the cost of training; the nearest 8-hour training program to Seattle costs $200+.
·  Even if the training were 100% free, the burden of travel to and from the training facility are prohibitive. The nearest range to Seattle is miles away, costing $70 round trip via Uber (double during rush hour).
·  The adverse impact is much greater in rural areas where distances are significantly greater and public transportation is not available.
·  Mandatory training where there is none available is a violation of civil rights
·  Will have a particularly depressive effect on participation among racial minorities and other vulnerable groups, worsening the equality gap between people of color and whites; only the rich will afford a concealed pistol license.
View Quote
Feel free to add your own points as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Done and thanks for posting this up!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
done
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 11:13:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Done.  My version of HB 2240 includes bumping this one to the top and adding the line at the end (also bolded in the email)...

· Criminals by definition do not comply with the law and will always find a way to gain access to high capacity magazines. HB 2240 puts more firepower into the streets while restricting law-abiding citizens’ ability to defend their friends and families with equal protection. This situation is unacceptable, and I will not willingly sabotage my ability to defend myself and my family because legislation dictates that they are now only worth 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Done and thank you. Added in the R's and my reps as well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I've written more e-mails to politicians in the last week than I've written in the rest of my life.  I hope I can be a drop of water in the turning tide.  DONE.  - Nw -
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've written more e-mails to politicians in the last week than I've written in the rest of my life.  I hope I can be a drop of water in the turning tide.  DONE.  - Nw -
View Quote
THANK YOU for joining the fight, Northern_Winter!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Isnt there a chance at this point in the process for these bills to be ammended before voted on?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 1:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Done and shared on social media.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Isnt there a chance at this point in the process for these bills to be ammended before voted on?
View Quote
Sure, they can definitely do that. But it's up to the members on the committee. They're getting to the point where they'd be reluctant to do that as it also has to go back to the senate and we're getting passed the date where bills can be introduced. It's also why I've heavily been bushing in my emails for amendments.

All we have to do is get that shot clock counting down and time them out....
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#11]
This video is a “must watch”. I wish I knew of a way to get it outside of FB.

Keep the pressure up everyone!!!  We are making an impact!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This video is a “must watch”. I wish I knew of a way to get it outside of FB.

Keep the pressure up everyone!!!  We are making an impact!!
View Quote
Cliff notes?
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cliff notes?
View Quote
You dont even need to sign in to watch it, but it's basically these are a list of weak dems, we need to soak up dem time, please call them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Went down the list. Called everybody. Took 7 minutes. Emailed as well.
Thanks to everyone for doing this. We can’t let them take Washington.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Done
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Watch live.

HB 2240 hasn't come up yet, should be here in a couple minutes if it passes out of committee

https://www.tvw.org/watch/?eventID=2020011394
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Amendment in house adopted which brings house and senate bills in parity, 10-5 vote.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Amendment in house adopted which brings house and senate bills in parity, 10-5 vote.
View Quote
Wut?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wut?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wut?
Senate added an additional exemption for LE that the House didn't have. The bills must match to move forward. The house just adopted the same exemption.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I can  Barely listen to that bullshit
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like the House also just adopted a 15 round change instead of 10. This would again bring bills out of parity, this is GOOD. This is what happened last year that prevented it from passing. Run down that damn shot clock!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I like that guys no vote!

I like her no vote too!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
9-6, passed out of committee in the house with 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Hard to keep up. Is this on TV?

So bills out of sync??
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hard to keep up. Is this on TV?

So bills out of sync??
View Quote
I'm streaming it on the link above, it might be on TV as well I don't have cable.

Yes bills are out of sync. Either house or senate will have to go back and get them back in parity and revote.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]
This 9-6 is killin us
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like the House also just adopted a 15 round change instead of 10. This would again bring bills out of parity, this is GOOD. This is what happened last year that prevented it from passing. Run down that damn shot clock!
View Quote

I never guessed that would happen.

EDIT:
Sheer speculation:  Is this their way of killing the mag ban via a poison pill instead of voting it down?   If so, perhaps we have some sympathetic members on the D side of the house who listened to us and don’t want to out themselves, so to speak.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Seems they've moved on to housing/tennant stuff. Are gun bills done?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the link and play-by-play, Mr Zeat!

I was able to briefly tune in and caught a moment or two.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Seems they've moved on to housing/tennant stuff. Are gun bills done?
View Quote
Looking at the remaining bill numbers, I would say “yes”, the gun bills are done for this meeting.  Mostly landlord/tenant and mobile home bills
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#32]
I missed it due to work thing, did 1315 and 2555 pass without amendments?

Those are the only other two that are firearm bills that I'm aware of.

2555 makes "Others" essentially the same as "Pistols" for the foreseeable future. It does not have a Senate companion bill that I'm aware of, it's unlikely to make it since the date for introducing non-tax bills in the Senate is coming up on the 7th unless they suspend rules...
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#33]
I missed a lot of this. So the sitrep is the mag ban passed out of committee but it is out of sync with senate bill, and the training requirements made it out unammended?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I missed a lot of this. So the sitrep is the mag ban passed out of committee but it is out of sync with senate bill, and the training requirements made it out unammended?
View Quote
That seems to be the case, I missed the 1315 and 2555 votes, the website usually gets updated in a couple hours
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I missed it due to work thing, did 1315 and 2555 pass without amendments?

Those are the only other two that are firearm bills that I'm aware of.

2555 makes "Others" essentially the same as "Pistols" for the foreseeable future. It does not have a Senate companion bill that I'm aware of, it's unlikely to make it since the date for introducing non-tax bills in the Senate is coming up on the 7th unless they suspend rules...
View Quote
What little I was able to watch just happened to be these two bills and both did pass out of committee 9 to 6

ETA:  I don’t recall any amendments but I wasn’t totally focused on TVW.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah the video is finalized up there, it looks like 10-5 on the last one 2555. Buy your lowers now if you don't want them to be treated as pistol with your new waiting period, health waver, etc, etc. I don't know it will continue on and like I said I don't see a senate component yet, so it may or may not make it out. The only good thing about it is the way it's written is that the entire thing expires after 6 months of a single point system, so that would theoretically disappear on such date.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I was not able to focus 100% on the video when it was live, but I believe the reason HB 2555 was 10-5 versus the 9-6 of the other gun bills was because one of the committee members is or was with Oly PD and felt that 2555 was a good thing in the long run.  I will try and watch the archived video here in a bit and see if I can get a name.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was not able to focus 100% on the video when it was live, but I believe the reason HB 2555 was 10-5 versus the 9-6 of the other gun bills was because one of the committee members is or was with Oly PD and felt that 2555 was a good thing in the long run.  I will try and watch the archived video here in a bit and see if I can get a name.
View Quote
The rep I had mentioned is Morgan Irwin of the 31st Legislative district.  After watching the video of today's executive session, I would say he is pretty much on our side.  He gave some good quality testimony against the other bills.

AND...I don't know how much this will impact things, but there are a total of THREE amendments to HB 2240 ("Hi-Cap" mag ban), not just the one amendment to increase to 15 rounds.  One of the other amendments strikes the requirement for written authorization from admin for off-duty LEO's and I don't remember the third.  I will have to go read SB 6077 and compare but it is possible that there are three hurdles that this bill must clear in order to bring it into alignment with the Senate bill.

Don't rest - Keep the pressure on your reps!  This thing could die if we make our voices heard!
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The rep I had mentioned is Morgan Irwin of the 31st Legislative district.  After watching the video of today's executive session, I would say he is pretty much on our side.  He gave some good quality testimony against the other bills.

AND...I don't know how much this will impact things, but there are a total of THREE amendments to HB 2240 ("Hi-Cap" mag ban), not just the one amendment to increase to 15 rounds.  One of the other amendments strikes the requirement for written authorization from admin for off-duty LEO's and I don't remember the third.  I will have to go read SB 6077 and compare but it is possible that there are three hurdles that this bill must clear in order to bring it into alignment with the Senate bill.

Don't rest - Keep the pressure on your reps!  This thing could die if we make our voices heard!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are the three amendments added to HB 2240:  Link
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#40]
The amendment to the CCW bill

PROPOSED SUBSTITUTE HB 1315 (H-3804.1/20) By Rep. Valdez An Act Relating to concealed pistol license training requirements. Summary of the Proposed Substitute: In order to obtain a concealed pistol license (CPL), an applicant must provide proof of completion of a recognized firearms safety training program within the previous five years, or proof of an exemption from the requirement.  The firearms safety training must include at least eight hours of instruction on:

•basic firearms safety rules;
•firearms and children, including safe storage and talking to children about firearms;
•firearms and suicide prevention;
•safe storage of firearms to prevent unauthorized access;
•safe handling of firearms;
•state and federal firearms laws, including prohibited transfers;
•state laws governing use of deadly force for self-defense;
•techniques for avoiding criminal attacks and managing a violent confrontation;
•live-fire shooting exercises that include a demonstration of safe handling of and shootingproficiency with a pistol.

The training must be sponsored by a law enforcement agency, college or university, a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training, or a firearm training school with instructors certified by a nationally recognized organization that customarily offers firearms training. The following persons are exempt from the firearms safety training requirement:

•peace officers certified by the Criminal Justice Training Commission;
•active duty members of the U.S. armed forces, active members of the National Guard, andactive members of the armed forces reserves who, as part of service, have completedfirearms training within the last five years that included safe handling of and shootingproficiency with a pistol;
•applicants renewing a CPL who have previously submitted proof of compliance with thetraining requirement.

The Washington State Patrol must prescribe the form and manner of documentation for use as proof of completion of a recognized firearms safety training program or proof of an exemption from the requirement. The proposed substitute takes effect on January 1, 2021.
View Quote
8 fucking hours
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The amendment to the CCW bill

8 fucking hours
View Quote
First:  this only passed out of committee.  It's back in the rules committee to await a position on the calendar for a floor vote.  Nothing has been enacted into law.

I am tired, however quickly going over HB 1315 and its Senate companion bill SB 5174, I am picking up on some disparity.  Perhaps some fresher minds can correct me.

Text of HB 1315

Text of SSB 5174

One week until the first cut-off.

Call, write, email your reps.  DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#42]
So Im curious about how the 15rd limit amendment got added. Was it added during the committee video we watched today? How did that happen exactly? Is it something presented then put forth for a vote? With all the voting I saw I dont see how it got voted in.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So Im curious about how the 15rd limit amendment got added. Was it added during the committee video we watched today? How did that happen exactly? Is it something presented then put forth for a vote? With all the voting I saw I dont see how it got voted in.
View Quote
TVW Video of Executive Session

The discussion of HB2240 starts at 29:30.  There are three amendments added, 110, 109 and 108.  108 is the amendment to increase the capacity limit to 15 rounds.  The introduction of amendment 108 happens at 34:50 and the vote at 37:43

HTH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top