Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2018 11:21:35 AM EDT
My work is sending me out of town for a couple of weeks in November and I won't be in town during the election. I got an absentee ballot, but I have never heard of some of the judges in the non-partisan section of the ballot. Does anybody have a complete voters guide for this section? I read about the Supreme Court Judges in another thread, a few threads down, but the OP stopped there. I have been doing research on some of them and found that Thomas C. Cameron on the MI Court of Appeals is a member of the Federalist Society and a conservative, but some of the others are more vague. Any help that HT can provide would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Both of the current members of the Michigan Supreme Court are backed by the Repubulican party. Their names are followed by their current SC office being held.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to open my ballot up
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Below is something I sent out recently to conservative Republican precinct delegates in Wayne County. If you already know about the Supreme Court issue, you don't need to plow through all that at the bottom. I have another one for Oakland County too, if anyone there is interested, and can get one for Washtenaw.

======================================================

Advisory for voting on judges:  In September, a Wayne County Republican Committee (WCRC) judicial committee headed by Ed Hartounian came up with recommendations on which judges to vote for. The one exception is for the Michigan Supreme Court. Because of recent votes by Elizabeth Clement, many Republicans do not want to re-elect her (see below). Even flyers printed by the state party left her name off, because they knew many volunteers would refuse to pass them out. On October 11, the Wayne-11th Republican Committee considered these issues, and voted to endorse the following list of judges.

Some of the judges on the ballot are in non-competitive races, i.e. there are x candidates running for exactly x spots, so it doesn't matter what you vote there, or don't vote, those running are going to be automatically elected (you'll see on your ballot). I left those off this list, and just included the ones where your vote will matter.

Mich. Supreme Court:
Kurtis T. Wilder
Kerry Lee Morgan

Circuit Court - 3rd Circuit - Incumbent
Gregory Dean Bill
Kevin J. Cox
Paul John Cusick
Adel A. Harb
Charles S. Hegarty
Catherine L. Heise
Quiana Denise Lillard

Circuit Court - 3rd Circuit - Non-Incumbent
John C. Cahalan
Suzette Samuels

(You can vote for more in these races, but others weren't recommended.)

=============================================

Michigan Supreme Court:

Kurtis Wilder

Voted To Uphold 2ND Amendment, State Constitution and State Law  (Michigan Gun Owners,
Inc v Ann Arbor Public Schools​)

Voted against allowing Gerrymandering on the Ballot because it was "a general
revision to the Michigan Constitution that could only be ratified through a
Constitutional Convention."

Not Endorsed By Leftist MEA

Kerry Morgan

Would have Voted To Uphold 2ND Amendment, State Constitution and State Law

Would have voted with Wilder, Markman and Zahra. Agreed that this would have required a
Constitutional Convention.

Not Endorsed By Leftist MEA

Elizabeth Clement

Voted with Democrat Justices to allow Ann Arbor Schools to Supercede 2ND Amendment, State
Constitution and State Law

Voted with Democrat Justices to Allow Gerrymandering on the Ballot as Prop 2

Endorsed By Leftist MEA

===================================================================
The following leaders have indicated their support for Wilder and Morgan:

•    Patrick Colbeck – Michigan State Senator
•    Bob Lutz – Author, Former Auto Executive, Marine Fighter Pilot
•    Mark Gurley – Michigan Republican Party – Grassroots Vice Chair
•    Gina Johnsen – Executive Director Michigan House of Prayer
•    Marian Sheridan – Leader of Lakes Area Tea Party
•    Michael Frazier – Candidate for Michigan House of Representatives
•    Tom Backers –  Leader of Drain the Swamp Michigan
•    Kathryn Henry –  Attorney, Christian Constitutional Policy Advocate
•    Scott Frush – Candidate for Northville Township Trustee
•    Deborah Van Dyke – Political Activist – Hudsonville
•    Ed Bianco – Political Activist – Traverse City
•    Bonnie Bianco  â€“ Political Activist – Traverse City
•    Cathi Humphreys - Political Activist – St Clair Shores
•    David Humphreys - Political Activist – St Clair Shores
•    Mark Sutton - Political Activist – Eaton Rapids
•    Cindy Kallgren – Political Activist - Midland
=====================================================================

Bob Cushman:

Was it just a coincidence that Clement received the highly unusual backing of the MEA
just 18 days after the Republican State Convention ?  Did Clement have her voting
influenced by a sweet heart deal with the MEA? Just 18 days after the tumultuous
Republican State convention the MEA announced the following! :

"Sep. 12, 2018 - EAST LANSING – The Michigan Education Association is pleased to
announce our recommendations for important races for the Michigan Supreme Court,
Congress, and the four statewide education boards.
For the Michigan Supreme Court, while only two seats are available, MEA is recommending
our members cast their ballot for two of three exceptional candidates for the bench: Sam
Bagenstos, Megan Cavanagh and Justice Elizabeth Clement.
“Recommending three Supreme Court candidates is an unusual step for MEA, but it’s
reflective of the amazing quality of these three candidates,” said MEA President Paula
Herbart."
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I sorted through some of the other non-partisan ballot, and found who were the Conservatives/Republicans running;

College Boards;
MSU- Dave Dutch & Mike Miller
UofM- Andrea Newman & Andrew Richner
WSU- Diane Dunaskiss & David Nicholson

MI Board of Education; Tami Carlone & Richard Zeile

Oh, and don't forget;
MI Attorney General- Tom Leonard
SoS- Mary Trader Lang
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
That was exactly what I needed. Ballot completed and handed back to the City Clerk. Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top