Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2024 2:15:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grizz272]
Can you get a drivers license in Wisconsin without speaking English?

WE had an Amazon delivery at 9:15 tonight and the driver needed a signature.   That was the first time a signature was needed .  
The driver said no abla english.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Grizz272:
Can you get a drivers license in Wisconsin out speaking English?

WE had an Amazon delivery at 9:15 tonight and the driver needed a signature.   That was the first time a signature was needed .  
The driver said no abla english.
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I made the assumption that because he was driving in Wisconsin for a job, the employer Amazon, would require a Wisconsin drivers license.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Commercial or regular??
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Delivering for amazon would mean a commercial license.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:54:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grizz272:
I made the assumption that because he was driving in Wisconsin for a job, the employer Amazon, would require a Wisconsin drivers license.
View Quote

No, I don't think so, not necessarily. I say this because I know several people who are, or have been in the past, UPS delivery drivers working from a hub in far northern WI who actually reside across the state line in the U.P.. They are full time residents of the State of MI, and thus have MI licenses. It's not where you work that matters, it's where you reside. This is a situation that likely only happens close to state lines.

edit to add: in towns near state borders, it's not unusual for rural mail carriers to live in one state but work for the post office located in another state. Their job is also as a "delivery driver". But they have out of state license plates on the personally owned vehicles they use, and I'd assume a drivers license to match. I've seen "yoopers" delivering mail up here, in far north of WI. The post office in Land O Lakes, which is right on the state line, delivers to residents of both WI & MI on the same route... so somebody is working in a state they don't reside in.

Also, if you work for USPS and your job entails driving (like a rural carrier's does) USPS issues you a federal drivers license. I worked for USPS as a rural carrier in St Germain (yep, I was a "fed") and I had one. Still have it as a "memento", along with my 1960s draft card, but it's no longer valid as that was 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By USSRangerSM:

I don't think you need a CDL for Amazon unless you're driving their semis
View Quote

I was under the impression that is you are driving a company truck on the road you needed a CDL if it was 1 ton or over.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I think you need a CDL for any 26000# or over vehicle, excluding farm equip.  School busses and hazardous cargo, even if under 26,000#, also needs one.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kapusta:
I think you need a CDL for any 26000# or over vehicle, excluding farm equip.  School busses and hazardous cargo, even if under 26,000#, also needs one.  
View Quote

Long version: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/com-drv-vehs/cdl-how-aply/cdloverview.aspx
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 3:25:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#13]
FWIW... don't know what Amazon uses, but the GVWR of the typical UPS "brown truck" is much less than 26,000lbs.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:25:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans] [#14]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Last time I was at the DMV I was reading some posting about even getting an ID without a birth certificate or anything.

Not gonna lie.  I started thinking about what my alias should be.  An alternative identity could be useful.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Last time I was at the DMV I was reading some posting about even getting an ID without a birth certificate or anything.

Not gonna lie.  I started thinking about what my alias should be.  An alternative identity could be useful.
View Quote

Rusty Shackleford.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top