Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2020 4:08:59 PM EDT
So I will be going to Minnesota the first week in August (wife needs tests at Mayo, Rochester).
I know Minnesota does not recognize Florida CCW permit, and I know that Federal law allows me to travel with a gun in the trunk so long as I can legally own a gun in the state traveling to (more interested in having the gun for the trip, not so much while there in Rochester).
In Florida, you can drive around with a gun in the glove box (or center console) with no permit needed.
So, with all that set up, can I drive around Minnesota with a pistol in the glove box legally?  Can I even have a gun legally in Minnesota (not a felon and all that)?
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Having a gun in Minnesota isn't an issue. It isn't like California or New Jersey. Transporting a gun is a bit stringent though. You'll have to have your gun cased and unloaded, and probably in the trunk. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having a gun in Minnesota isn't an issue. It isn't like California or New Jersey. Transporting a gun is a bit stringent though. You'll have to have your gun cased and unloaded, and probably in the trunk. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
View Quote

Thanks, I figured it wasn't as easy as Florida.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:16:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#4]
97B.045 TRANSPORTING FIREARMS.
§Subdivision 1.Restrictions. A person may not transport a firearm in a motor vehicle unless the firearm is:
(1) unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, and the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and without any portion of the firearm exposed;

(2) unloaded and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle; or

(3) a handgun carried in compliance with sections 624.714 and 624.715.

It can be cased in the glovebox, unloaded.  I don't understand how people think you can't have a cased and unloaded firearm in your vehicle.  It goes in the closed trunk if its not cased there by securing it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#5]
There's also nothing I'm aware of in statute that says anything about ammo inside the gun case. It doesn't matter so long as there's no ammo in the gun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:u
BCA told me so.

They also told me you can't carry a long gun with a PTC in public, which is in DIRECT conflict with the plain wording of the statute.

Basically, they will likely arrest/charge you and let you fight it in court. That may be your fetish, but I choose to just avoid it.
View Quote

It's also in direct conflict with what Minnesota Gun Owners says.  https://www.gunowners.mn/long_guns_carrying.  

But as they say, just try it around town and you can test the response times of the local PD departments.

They also recommend keeping the ammunition in a seperate case from the firearm.  A seperate case could mean a seperatement compartments, as different carry instructors have suggested.

And yes, this stuff is more complicated than it should be.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's also in direct conflict with what Minnesota Gun Owners says.  https://www.gunowners.mn/long_guns_carrying.  

But as they say, just try it around town and you can test the response times of the local PD departments.

They also recommend keeping the ammunition in a seperate case from the firearm.  A seperate case could mean a seperatement compartments, as different carry instructors have suggested.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:u
BCA told me so.

They also told me you can't carry a long gun with a PTC in public, which is in DIRECT conflict with the plain wording of the statute.

Basically, they will likely arrest/charge you and let you fight it in court. That may be your fetish, but I choose to just avoid it.

Thanks, guys I appreciate the info.
I have a zippered gun rug for a handgun. I will have it zippered in the glove box, ammo in the center console.  I assume a loaded magazine is okay to carry ammo in?
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks, guys I appreciate the info.
I have a zippered gun rug for a handgun. I will have it zippered in the glove box, ammo in the center console.  I assume a loaded magazine is okay to carry ammo in?
View Quote
As has been stated previously, it must be carried in the rear most portion of the vehicle.  Glove box is a no-no.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As has been stated previously, it must be carried in the rear most portion of the vehicle.  Glove box is a no-no.
View Quote

Statute?
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please add context.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Subd. 1a.Permit required; penalty. A person, other than a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1, who carries, holds, or possesses a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place, as defined in section 624.7181, subdivision 1, paragraph (c), without first having obtained a permit to carry the pistol is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person who is convicted a second or subsequent time is guilty of a felony.

View Quote

Subd. 16.Recognition of permits from other states. (a) The commissioner must annually establish and publish a list of other states that have laws governing the issuance of permits to carry weapons that are not similar to this section. The list must be available on the Internet. A person holding a carry permit from a state not on the list may use the license or permit in this state subject to the rights, privileges, and requirements of this section.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/13/2020 7:00:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, went and came back.  No interaction with LE (although just after crossing into Minnesota from Iowa, a state trooper hung a U-turn and got behind me for a bit before passing). Things of notice:
1) Interesting that crossing into Minnesota from Iowa (on 64? I think), there was no Welcome to Minnesota. There was a welcome to every small town in Minnesota but no welcome to the state.
2) Minnesota sells liquor everywhere (even mini marts)
3) "Minnesota nice," is true (very, very nice people).
4) It was FREAKING 70 oF for the HIGH of the day (our lows are not that low--mostly mid to upper 70s overnight)
5) Lots of beefy women, even news anchors--not used to seeing that.

Otherwise trip did not produce results intended, but you have a very nice state.
Thanks all for info
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top