Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2021 11:17:44 PM EDT
Has anyone else noticed that purchasing a new firearm in New Jersey takes days for some reason now. But if you go across the PA you can buy it in 15 minutes. Why exactly are we letting this happen? I have never left the gun store without my new gun…
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#1]
NICS is handled by the state police, like a 4 person unit or something and since the Murphy shutdown the unit for covid they've been backlogged at least a week when restarted. There used to be a site to check but I can't find it. In Free America NCIS is handled by an automated regional FBI database that issues, approved, unapproved or delayed with in minutes.

Edit I guess it's a good sign that there are that many firearms being sold in the state
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard from some friends in NJ telling me NICS checks were up to a week at one point in the past year. Crazy.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NICS is handled by the state police, like a 4 person unit or something and since the Murphy shutdown the unit for covid they've been backlogged at least a week when restarted. There used to be a site to check but I can't find it. In Free America NCIS is handled by an automated regional FBI database that issues, approved, unapproved or delayed with in minutes.

Edit I guess it's a good sign that there are that many firearms being sold in the state
View Quote

That is an interesting factoid. I was unaware we used a different NICS system then the rest of the country.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That is an interesting factoid. I was unaware we used a different NICS system then the rest of the country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just as a follow up I found the site
https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/NicsVerification

They're only running a day behind now it seems

7:55am 7/13/2021 396 submissions are currently in the queue. We are working on (Monday) 7/12/2021 work. Feel free to share this information with your customers. Please remember that a dealer may not transfer a firearm to an individual without first receiving the unique State Transaction Number (STN) provided through a NICS check.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
My purchase in June took only 1 day to approve.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Fed law provides 3 days, after which the sale goes through...so NJ is blatantly violating that

"A right delayed is a right denied"

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A handful of states actually use a state point of contact instead of the national system, PA does as well. There is no cost for the national NICS which is the nice part if you're in a state that uses it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fed law provides 3 days, after which the sale goes through...so NJ is blatantly violating that

"A right delayed is a right denied"

View Quote

LOL Like Pleb rights matter in NJ... Seriously in NJ we have to get "permission" to buy , in the form of and ID card and/or handgun purchase permits, from your local police department the state law state it should be approved or denied in 30 days. Cases have gone into court 90 + days and the judge is like they're busy so fuck you, your rights don't matter, they can take as long they need.

ETA: Interesting side note to that, they require employment info and have been known to contact employers for the fuck of it. mostly to harass and tell your employer you're buying a gun. Good thing I'm self employed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Nj gets a two for one with their own system.  They can charge an additional 17 or 16 dollar fee to spite legal gun owners and they have total control of the system if they wish to stop gun sales altogether.  

Remember the first week of the covid shut downs.  Gun stores and people were told to blow it out their asses by the lords of Trenton.  

It is a sad state of affairs when it comes to people's allegedly constitutional rights in nj.  Remember not all constitutional rights are equal in nj.  

To be honest their is no constitutional right to own a gun in nj.  We all have permission from local law enforcement to own our guns???  So behave or else???
When you have to seek permission to exercise a right it isn't a right.  

That is all.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh I am well aware....I escaped in 2013 to free america.  Down here we don't even have to go through nics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top