Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2024 1:33:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762]
I have no trouble seeing them in mid afternoon and occasionally need to avoid one on the pavement.  I've had three females build a pitchers mound on my property over the past few years and I have only 2.5 acres.  I've seen them flurishing in other counties adjacent to Citrus as well.  They seem to have no trouble keeping their numbers up....all the while damaging property.  Why is this still going on?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You have acreage thats why you see them. Ask anyone inside a developed area or subdivision and the story is different. Paving over their habitats is whats doing them in, same as the scrub jays.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HiFlow:
You have acreage thats why you see them. Ask anyone inside a developed area or subdivision and the story is different. Paving over their habitats is whats doing them in, same as the scrub jays.
View Quote

FPNI.  Add in all the former woodland that is now concrete/asphalt covered retail development.
When I moved here in 2013 2/3 of my street was undeveloped woodland.  Now it is 2/3 houses/yards and the FNG's bitch about the black bears, alligators and other wildlife.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

FPNI.  Add in all the former woodland that is now concrete/asphalt covered retail development.
When I moved here in 2013 2/3 of my street was undeveloped woodland.  Now it is 2/3 houses/yards and the FNG's bitch about the black bears, alligators and other wildlife.
View Quote

I grew up here in a pretty rural area for this location 15 miles from my current home. Its still "fairly" similar there but that is changing fast. It was common to see foxes, bobcats, owls, occasionally a panther or bear, owls, BIG snakes, especially racers and rattlers.

I see none of that here. Hell, I was stoked to see a little black snake poking his head up in the grass the other day in the back yard.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to know just why it is that professional 'developers' are a protected species...........................they are to Florida what the 14th century bubonic plague was to Europe........in spades!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dogrunner:
I'd like to know just why it is that professional 'developers' are a protected species...........................they are to Florida what the 14th century bubonic plague was to Europe........in spades!!!
View Quote

Honestly its us and our systems. We arent happy unless we are are growing housing and industries.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
If they weren't protected there would be almost none left.  There is a segment of the population that would happily eat them if they weren't worried about jail time and fines. To those people tortoise is just a slow moving meal with no ability defend itself.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Used to be the main event here. Raced them as a kid:

https://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/events/after-50-years-san-antonios-rattlesnake-festival-is-finished/2312260/
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:20:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dogrunner:
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#11]
They take years to mature enough to reproduce. They provide an environment for other species, such eastern indigo snake. They aren't very smart either. And as mentioned above, the carpet baggers and transplants come down here to bulldoze their habitats and build communist hoa compounds. So they need a little help from the two legged monsters.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By B_Ice223:
And as mentioned above, the carpet baggers and transplants come down here to bulldoze their habitats and build communist hoa compounds.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

View Quote
The Guy that moved here in 2012 was bitchin' about when you moved in.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:51:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jjrockbush:

View Quote

Its funny cuz its true. Millions moving here, paving over everything, killing every thing they dont like, then asking why its all effed up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#15]
And in the words of Pogo, 'we have met the enemy, and he is us".

Too many goddamn people too, too fast!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#16]
sometimes they do just disappear,  and yes, they do taste good.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#17]

It's funny cuz it's true. Millions moving here, paving over everything, killing every thing they dont like, then asking why it's all effed up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jjrockbush:

It's funny cuz it's true. Millions moving here, paving over everything, killing every thing they dont like, then asking why it's all effed up.
I was born there. 5 generations Just moved up here to Knoxville last year.

Same shit. I live in a new subdivision that used to be a farm.

Whattayagonnado?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mannlicher:
sometimes they do just disappear,  and yes, they do taste good.
View Quote

During the great depression they were known as Hoover Chickens.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#19]
By me if they’re crossing the street someone will pullover and direct traffic so we don’t have smashed turtles.  There seems to be an abundance on the island.  I see them all the time, kind of cool.  I enjoy seeing all the different, rare wildlife I see in the island.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:35:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrHold] [#20]
We leave you this Sunday with gopher tortoises in Titusville, Florida. Videographer: Doug Jensen.

Is someone reading FLHT and is a contributor to CBS

Nature: Gopher tortoises in Florida

Nature: Gopher tortoises in Florida
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top