User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't find how to just get into Wisconsin EE. I tried the links above and they take me some where else.

Never mind I just found out how.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the no use of light for shooting coyotes at night just a one of those things in the rule book, and not an actual law?
You would think they would want you to see what your shooting at the best you can.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info guys.  This thread is helpful.

I've been considering and reconsidering the night vision vs thermal argument.  But that's only part of it.

Night Vision or Thermal?
Weapon mounted / or not?  (and the reasons for each)
Monocular or goggles?  (and the reasons for each)

Scanning is important.  A weapon sight is important.

Quite honestly, it's paralysis by analysis for me.  I don't want to make a 3-4K mistake.  Any thoughts are welcome.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly it is just like BRD.  Once you get one, you’ll want more.

IMHO scanning is a first priority and weapon mount comes after that. I picked up a used PVS14 from the EE and then got a Crye nightcap to mount it. I use it walking in and out of my hunting land more than anything. Stargazing is pretty cool too. By having a helmet or nightcap mount, you can drive with it on (if needed).
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 3:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info guys.  This thread is helpful.

I've been considering and reconsidering the night vision vs thermal argument.  But that's only part of it.

Night Vision or Thermal?
Weapon mounted / or not?  (and the reasons for each)
Monocular or goggles?  (and the reasons for each)

Scanning is important.  A weapon sight is important.

Quite honestly, it's paralysis by analysis for me.  I don't want to make a 3-4K mistake.  Any thoughts are welcome.
View Quote
If I could start all over I would buy 2 devices. A hand held IR, if it could be weapon mounted great, if not, no problem. Second a gen 3 clip on NVD to put in front of a good LPVO or ACOG.  (Also an IR illuminator to go with this)

My reasoning is such. IR for scanning and detecting without being tied to your rifle.  NV for target ID and shot, much better definition of image than IR but harder to detect animals you don't know are there unless they're moving.

I bought a monocular first thinking it would be a good starting point and that I would use it for navigating, but honestly I wish I hadn't.  I'd rather walk in the dark on a bright night, constant need to change focus, stupid helmet is better than a skull crusher but still sucks.  Now I need to either sell it or buy the clip on and IR additionally.

Monocular/binoculars may be better for fighting at night but I'd rather have the above for hunting.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#9]
After reading through the huge Scionyx thread I decided to dip my toes in the NV game.  I will say that I'm pretty impressed with the Aurora, and especially so when using my Fenix TK25IR light.  I'm planning on getting together a full helmet rig eventually, but for anyone that's really on the fence, the Aurora Sport is a great starting point, imho.

Tree line is about 100yds, half moon clear skies.  Live viewing looks better than the captured images.

Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Has anyone been stopped at night and checked /questioned about using IR light?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:01:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Has anyone been stopped at night and checked /questioned about using IR light?
View Quote
There's what, 1 warden per county maybe?

I've only encountered one once during the day (fishing), much less at night in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Chances are slim that you'll get checked if you are just using IR. I asked my local warden specifically about just using IR for yote scanning/hunting at night and he said nope, it is an artificial light source and not legal to scan with but at point of kill is ok. I'd be too paranoid just using IR to scan with knowing it is technically illegal...jmo.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Chances are slim that you'll get checked if you are just using IR. I asked my local warden specifically about just using IR for yote scanning/hunting at night and he said nope, it is an artificial light source and not legal to scan with but at point of kill is ok. I'd be too paranoid just using IR to scan with knowing it is technically illegal...jmo.
View Quote
I wish they'd change that!
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wish they'd change that!
View Quote
I thought it was in the works years ago and then it fell off the planet...not sure what happened.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:00:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought it was in the works years ago and then it fell off the planet...not sure what happened.
View Quote
I thought so also
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top