Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2021 4:38:29 PM EDT
Looking to take a family trip this summer with my wife and son. We've never been to the Rockies and would like to do some hiking and sight seeing in and around the park for a few days. What is the best area to get a hotel or cabin? Prefer to stay away from major cities.
Link Posted: 6/29/2021 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably will be tough to get a place in Estes park but you might luck out.  If you don't mind a longer drive you can look at places in Loveland.  Also, check Grand Lake area for cabins and such.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Peak tourist season so I expect they are sold out, but try YMCA of the Rockies. Don’t let the name fool you.

Longer drives, but still not bad.  Neither is on I-25 and both have city conveniences like grocery & shopping without a further drive.

I’ve been at the Holiday Inn Express in Longmont many times over the years.

Candlewood in Fort Collins last summer, also GTG.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the W side of RMNP (Grand Lake) more so than the E side (Estes Park).

Grand Lake is a mountain town, Estes Park is a bit too touristy t-shirt selling town with a lot of day-trippers.  IMHO.

But, Estes Park is easier to get to, many more options to stay (hotels, etc.) than the small town of Grand Lake.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#4]
YMCA of the Rockies
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone told me today that reservations are filled through August already. So you might not even be able to get in. Plus a lot of the areas around tourist spots burned last year. I've heard the west side is a disaster but haven't been there myself. Was in Estes last weekend briefly and it's a fricken zoo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top