Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2021 11:13:42 AM EDT
When I say "vicinity" of North Phoenix, I mean that I am not interested in responses about some range that allows .50 BMG that's located in Yuma, or some good desert spot that's east of Apache Junction.

That said, with Rio Salado no longer allowing .50 BMG (not that I enjoyed the 60-90 minute drive from North Phoenix to far east valley) and apparently .50 BMG is no longer allowed at Cowtown, and was never allowed at Ben Avery...  where can .50 BMG be shot safely at any sort of distance without having to worry about hikers, bike riders, UTV/ATV's, etc?

(Note:  Yes, I know that owning private property is a valid response to my question - but my question is for the 99% who don't own or have access to large swaths of privately owned land.)
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
National Forests and BLM allow target shooting in most areas (closures in areas with lots of hiker/ dirt bike activity, typically near cities) except during fire season (which is basically from the last spring rain dries till the monsoon in late summer if it occurs). I don't believe they discriminate by caliber so long as its legal and not explosive, incendiary etc ammo.

there is some BLM west of north phoenix and BLM is building some formal shooting sites out there (which i suspect will not allow .50 BMG).

find the maps of the national forests. Tonto is north of Phoenix, Prescott and Coconino north of that. You will drive 60 to 180 minutes to find any place legal for shooting, that's just a side affect of living in a place where you don't have to drive 60 to 180 minutes to find a grocery store or job. Find a spot way way further than the legally required 1/4 mile from a structure wth miles and miles of mountains as a back stop.

shoot good, have fun.

Poole

(actually BASF did allow .50 BMG long ago but changed that rule over 20 years ago)

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Ignoring everything you said about your preferences.

7 Mile Range / Mohave Sportsman's Club has a 1000 yard range open to members ($70/year) that's 50 BMG rated, doesn't have an RO leaning over your shoulder, and has permanent steel at the 1000 yard line.

And if you head up here and the schedule works out, I'll bring out a reactive hostage target rated for 50 BMG that's still a prototype.

Frankly, the three hour drive up here is probably less than it would work out to go an hour from PHX, bump around the back country, set up steel, and reverse the process.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ignoring everything you said about your preferences.

7 Mile Range / Mohave Sportsman's Club has a 1000 yard range open to members ($70/year) that's 50 BMG rated, doesn't have an RO leaning over your shoulder, and has permanent steel at the 1000 yard line.

And if you head up here and the schedule works out, I'll bring out a reactive hostage target rated for 50 BMG that's still a prototype.

Frankly, the three hour drive up here is probably less than it would work out to go an hour from PHX, bump around the back country, set up steel, and reverse the process.
View Quote
Interesting...

Do the 1K yard range and the 500m range have steel targets incrementally downrange to those distances (eg, 100m, 200m, 300m, etc), or only at the maximum distances?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
500m range is NRA Metallic Silhouette and has steel critters at various distances. Not rated for magnum or varmint, let alone 50BMG. But we're working on that.

1000 yard range only has targets at the 1000 yard berm, but does have a provision for you to shoot from as close at 500 yards, as I recall. I can put you in contact with the new club president who is primarily a long range guy. 1000 yard range is his baby.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually head out well north of seven springs. Many roads to branch off on with good back stops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top