Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2024 10:40:35 AM EDT
I'm heading to Cape Coral early April for a wedding. This will be 5th year down there.
My step dad snowbirds in Highland Beach Florida.

I want to drive on a beach, is there anywhere to do that on the gulf side or Atlantic side?

What's the longest time or distance, you've driven on the beach?

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking POV or ATV?  I live here and I have never had a desire to drive my POV on the beach.   I have driven Air Force ATVs ~12 miles on the beach on Eglin AFB as part of Jackson Guard (Eglin natural resources office).
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:18:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#3]
I know GTS right?
Looks like Daytona and New Smyrna only - anyone done it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
Are you talking POV or ATV?  I live here and I have never had a desire to drive my POV on the beach.   I have driven Air Force ATVs ~12 miles on the beach on Eglin AFB as part of Jackson Guard (Eglin natural resources office).
View Quote

POV
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:08:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brianb860] [#5]
Originally Posted By drobs:
I know GTS right?
View Quote

I live in New Smyrna and drive on the beach all the time. Check the tides before you go to make sure the ramps are open. Volusia Beaches has a free app that shows which are open.

It's $20/day for a pass for non-residents to drive on. You can also drive on parts of Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, and Ponce Inlet.

Truck don't surf: https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/man-arrest-driving-on-new-smyrna-beach-florida
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
My co worker takes his Jeep to Daytona all the time.  You better have a vehicle for beach duty or you will be getting pulled off the beach & look like a tool.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:
My co worker takes his Jeep to Daytona all the time.  You better have a vehicle for beach duty or you will be getting pulled off the beach & look like a tool.
View Quote

I'll be driving my pavement princess F150 and it should work just fine. I will have my air down tool and air compressor along for the trip.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:07:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#8]
Originally Posted By brianb860:

I live in New Smyrna and drive on the beach all the time. Check the tides before you go to make sure the ramps are open. Volusia Beaches has a free app that shows which are open.

It's $20/day for a pass for non-residents to drive on. You can also drive on parts of Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, and Ponce Inlet.

Truck don't surf: https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/man-arrest-driving-on-new-smyrna-beach-florida
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I know GTS right?

Lots of New Yorkers down there. I flew down, back in 2019 and rented a car, it had NY license plates on it. That'll blend right in.

Thanks I'll check that out app.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#9]
drobs, you need to at least swim with a croc to fit in.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 9:23:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#10]
Originally Posted By Iamhere:
drobs, you need to at least swim with a croc to fit in.
View Quote

Lol! I visited my Step Dad down there in my early 20s and he noticed that I was about to go for a swim in the ocean with my watch on.

He said to me some words I won't forget. "I'd take that watch off. Fish like shiny things."

A couple years ago we cut the corner taking 41 from the gulf side to Miami and drove down the Loop Road Scenic Drive. There were Alligators in every pool / culvert next to the road. We saw more there than we saw on an Alligator Air Boat tour.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Lots of New Yorkers down there. I flew down, back in 2019 and rented a car, it had NY license plates on it. That'll blend right in.

Thanks I'll check that out app.

View Quote

Not many New Yorkers here compared to South Flaridah. You should be fine without airing your tires down too. Most of the people that get stuck are in rear wheel drive cars that are very low to the ground. Mustangs, etc.

There are some areas that are very powdery that have "4x4 only" signs. Your truck should be fine in those too. Have fun.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:30:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TitleII] [#12]
Wow, you brought back some good memories.

I moved to Daytona Beach in 1976.  I had a big Ford F100 4x4.  If I remember correctly you could drive from a spot north of SR40 in Ormond beach, to the inlet in New Smyrna Beach.  Good  old days.  You could drive at night and due some surf fishing and sit on your tailgate.  Drink a few bears. all legal and free.  I spent a lot of time on the beach.

Not any more.  No night driving, no beer.  Sections of the beach blocked so that you can not drive very far uninterrupted.

Still plenty of beach driving but it is not the same freedom to enjoy the beach like the old days.

Sorry for sounding like an "old" guy.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Not many New Yorkers here compared to South Flaridah. You should be fine without airing your tires down too. Most of the people that get stuck are in rear wheel drive cars that are very low to the ground. Mustangs, etc.

There are some areas that are very powdery that have "4x4 only" signs. Your truck should be fine in those too. Have fun.
View Quote

Are there designated 4x4 areas or is that just based on the sand condition?

Any must hit places / restaurants on the beach?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:02:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#14]
Originally Posted By TitleII:

I moved to Daytona Beach in 1976.  I had a big Ford F100 4x4.  If I remember correctly you could drive from a spot north of SR40 in Ormond beach, to the inlet in New Smyrna Beach.  Good  old days.  You could drive at night and due some surf fishing and sit on your tailgate.  Drink a few bears. all legal and free.  I spent a lot of time on the beach.

Not any more.  No night driving, no beer.  Sections of the beach blocked so that you can not drive very far uninterrupted.

Still plenty of beach driving but it is not the same freedom to enjoy the beach like the old days.

View Quote

All good you can drink and drive up here in Missouri in the National Forests. It's not illegal till you get in an accident...

Playing on the rocks with my Jeep
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:24:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brianb860] [#15]

Are there designated 4x4 areas or is that just based on the sand condition?

Any must hit places / restaurants on the beach?
View Quote

It's really based on the sand conditions and the tides. it can change day to day. The app will usually note if any of the ramps are 4x4 only. I do most of my beach driving in New Smyrna. As you drive North towards the inlet and Dunes Park, that's where you'll see the "4x4 only" signs most often. If you park close to the Flagler Ave ramp - there are a lot of restaurants, bars, and shops on that strip. Almost everything is locally owned. No chains except for the 2 big hotels and a Starbucks in one of the hotels.

I haven't driven on Daytona in a while now, but I remember the area near Sunglow Pier having very soft sand. A1A in Ponce Inlet ends at Lighthouse Park which is right across the inlet from the Dunes Park in New Smyrna. You can't drive from Ponce Inlet to New Smyrna without driving back inland and going over the bridges. But you can drive from Ormond to Daytona to Ponce Inlet without leaving "beachside". Even though you can see Lighthouse Park right across the water from the Dunes Park, it's a 30-40 minute drive to get from one to the other.

Also just want to set expectations so you know what you're getting into - it's not a wild 4x4 off-road adventure where you can climb dunes and do donuts. It's mostly just people driving to find a parking spot. 10mph max and they have designated traffic lanes. Just didn't want you be disappointed when you got there if that's what you were hoping for.

Check the Space-X schedule while you're in the area too. The beaches are a good place to watch a launch from.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#16]

I'll be driving my pavement princess F150 and it should work just fine. I will have my air down tool and air compressor along for the trip.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/1000001042_jpg-3144732.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/1000000540_jpg-3144733.JPG
View Quote

Difference between sand and sugar sand.

OP, are you crippled er wat?
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]

It's really based on the sand conditions and the tides. it can change day to day. The app will usually note if any of the ramps are 4x4 only. I do most of my beach driving in New Smyrna. As you drive North towards the inlet and Dunes Park, that's where you'll see the "4x4 only" signs most often. If you park close to the Flagler Ave ramp - there are a lot of restaurants, bars, and shops on that strip. Almost everything is locally owned. No chains except for the 2 big hotels and a Starbucks in one of the hotels.

I haven't driven on Daytona in a while now, but I remember the area near Sunglow Pier having very soft sand. A1A in Ponce Inlet ends at Lighthouse Park which is right across the inlet from the Dunes Park in New Smyrna. You can't drive from Ponce Inlet to New Smyrna without driving back inland and going over the bridges. But you can drive from Ormond to Daytona to Ponce Inlet without leaving "beachside". Even though you can see Lighthouse Park right across the water from the Dunes Park, it's a 30-40 minute drive to get from one to the other.

Also just want to set expectations so you know what you're getting into - it's not a wild 4x4 off-road adventure where you can climb dunes and do donuts. It's mostly just people driving to find a parking spot. 10mph max and they have designated traffic lanes. Just didn't want you be disappointed when you got there if that's what you were hoping for.

Check the Space-X schedule while you're in the area too. The beaches are a good place to watch a launch from.
View Quote

I always keep my expectations low...
Florida is one of the few states (17 states per google) where you can drive on the beach.

The tentative plan is to do Daytona 1 day and Smyrna the next or neither depending on the tide. Either way we got a Holiday Inn on the Beach in Daytona. I'll have fun no mater what.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Difference between sand and sugar sand.

OP, are you crippled er wat?
View Quote

I prefer lazy. Why walk when you can drive?
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TitleII:

View Quote

I am with the old guy. Went to New Smyrna in 1979 for senior skip day and may have exceeded the beach speed limit by a bit. Early mornings the beaches were empty.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

I am with the old guy. Went to New Smyrna in 1979 for senior skip day and may have exceeded the beach speed limit by a bit. Early mornings the beaches were empty.
View Quote

It was definitely a lot easier to do in the past. Especially if the beaches were empty during the slower season or early mornings. But now that there have been a few crashes, they monitor it a lot more. The beach patrol also falls under the county sheriffs office now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I know GTS right?
View Quote

You can also drive on St Johns (St Augustine) beaches but alot of it was "4x4 only" or "4x4 recommended" last time I was there.

https://www.sjcfl.us/beach-services/beach-passes/

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Anastasia Island (St Augustine Beach).
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I learned how to drive a truck and how to ride an ATV on New Smyrna Beach back in the early 80's.
Fun Times and Great Memories spent with my Dad.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 8:50:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#24]
Originally Posted By Procyon:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Procyon:

Originally Posted By sjm1582002:

You can also drive on St Johns (St Augustine) beaches but alot of it was "4x4 only" or "4x4 recommended" last time I was there.

https://www.sjcfl.us/beach-services/beach-passes/

Cool, we're planning to head up to Jacksonville, catch Hwy 10 on the way home, and wanted to stop in St. Augustine.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Doing a little planning....

Daytona:
https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/daytonabeach/Beach_Driving_Map_North_7e35a31d-6c9f-4e10-ad61-b231a84ada1e.pdf

Enter at Emilia Avenue go north and exit at International Speedway Blvd. Which is about 6 miles and some change. A1A becomes a 1 way road going south at Intl Speedway area.

Attachment Attached File

New Smyrna
https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/daytonabeach/Beach_Driving_Map_South_945ca2c7-abf3-4706-aa78-8c5ec006a084.pdf

Looks like I should enter on the south side at 27th Avenue Beach Front Park, go north and exit somewhere around Beachway Avenue.

Attachment Attached File

Question what's the Northern most vehicle beach access for New Symrna?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#26]
One last thought...

Be carful if you leave your vehicle parked on the beach to enjoy a meal.  If the tide is coming in, you might return to find you truck in the ocean.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Cool, we're planning to head up to Jacksonville, catch Hwy 10 on the way home, and wanted to stop in St. Augustine.
View Quote

Huguenot Park (N of Jax) also has a rather small stretch of beach driving.

Very cool area on the N side of the entrance to the St John's river across from the Mayport naval base.

https://www.jacksonville.gov/departments/parks-and-recreation/recreation-and-community-programming/huguenot-memorial-park.aspx
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:21:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brianb860] [#28]
Doing a little planning....

Daytona:
https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/daytonabeach/Beach_Driving_Map_North_7e35a31d-6c9f-4e10-ad61-b231a84ada1e.pdf

Enter at Emilia Avenue go north and exit at International Speedway Blvd. Which is about 6 miles and some change. A1A becomes a 1 way road going south at Intl Speedway area.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/Emilia_north_to_Intl_Speedway_6_miles_JP-3146716.JPG

New Smyrna
https://assets.simpleviewinc.com/simpleview/image/upload/v1/clients/daytonabeach/Beach_Driving_Map_South_945ca2c7-abf3-4706-aa78-8c5ec006a084.pdf

Looks like I should enter on the south side at 27th Avenue Beach Front Park, go north and exit somewhere around Beachway Avenue.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/27th_Avenue_Beachfront_Park_enter_and_go-3146745.JPG

Question what's the Northern most vehicle beach access for New Symrna?
View Quote

Beachway is the access ramp that is furthest north in NSB. You can still drive north when you get on there, but you’d have to turn around to get back off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Op, we have crocs big enough to eat trucks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Beachway is the access ramp that is furthest north in NSB. You can still drive north when you get on there, but you’d have to turn around to get back off.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Huguenot Park (N of Jax) also has a rather small stretch of beach driving.

Very cool area on the N side of the entrance to the St John's river across from the Mayport naval base.

https://www.jacksonville.gov/departments/parks-and-recreation/recreation-and-community-programming/huguenot-memorial-park.aspx
View Quote

Looks like you can drive way out on that peninsula. That does look cool.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks like St. Augustine Beach might have the longest section (12 miles) of 4wd only beach area.

Planning:

Enter on A Street go north to near the Pier. Turn around and head south to the Fort Mantanzas Exit. Exit there or head back north.

Attachment Attached File

I'd want to have my kinetic rope, traction boards, 4 tire air inflator / deflator, and air compressor. Plus air down to 15psi or less.

My phone / Facebook must be listening to me. FB recommended this Stuck on St. Augustine Beach group. https://m.facebook.com/groups/2147875101978460/

It's full of mostly clueless shit posters. Iamhere would fit right in.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Looks like St. Augustine Beach might have the longest section (12 miles) of 4wd only beach area.

Planning:

Enter on A Street go north to near the Pier. Turn around and head south to the Fort Mantanzas Exit. Exit there or head back north.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/1000002515_jpg-3147837.JPG

I'd want to have my kinetic rope, traction boards, 4 tire air inflator / deflator, and air compressor. Plus air down to 15psi or less.

My phone / Facebook must be listening to me. FB recommended this Stuck on St. Augustine Beach group. https://m.facebook.com/groups/2147875101978460/

View Quote

The white sand is not bad.

Watch out for any red/pink sand, which is actually coquina shell fragments, and is a real bitch especially if wet. Patches of it are mostly N of Daytona in Ormond.

Don't forget a folding shovel if you're going to play in that stuff.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 8:25:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#34]

The white sand is not bad.

Watch out for any red/pink sand, which is actually coquina shell fragments, and is a real bitch especially if wet. Patches of it are mostly N of Daytona in Ormond.

Don't forget a folding shovel if you're going to play in that stuff.

https://ap.rdcpix.com/836e8c2ab6159a6073235aa6bf2e2c57l-m1610454594od-w480_h360_x2.jpg
View Quote

Good point will bring a GI folding shovel. I had one in my Toyota that the Ford replaced but need to find it somewhere in my garage.

Side note, I doubt I'll get stuck and will have gear to get unstuck if I do. That being said, there are a couple volunteer off road recovery groups that serve both Florida and nationwide that I'm a member of. You might keep these in mind or share them with your friends and family members.

Nationwide:
https://offroadportal.org
This group has a phone number for texting your location to. They might ask for gas money but don't charge a fee for recovery. They have members in almost every state. To include Alaska and Hawaii.

Florida 4x4 Rescue - is facebook volunteer group that doesn't charge anything for off road recoveries.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2423021054693559/

I'm a member / Admin of the Missouri 4x4 Rescue group and have led / participated in about 6 or more off road recoveries.
I just winched a kid in a Chevy out of the mud yesterday.

If you guys are off road vehicle enthusiasts and have a winch &/or recovery gear, consider volunteering with these groups.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#35]
New Smyrna

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Thank you, sir.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Thank you, sir.
View All Quotes

Thank you, sir.

Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#38]
The last time I drove on NSB, there was a Lamborghini out on the sand. It was nothing like I remembered as a high schooler pulling out cute girls in my neighbor's FJ40.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:48:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wood714] [#39]

Planning:

View Quote

When you drive on at A Street, you can only go south. Back in the day you could go north all the way to St. Augustine Inlet... until some asshole backed over 2 teenage girls laying in the sun. After that they shut that section down for good.

Not too many years ago you could drive under the bridge at Matanzas Inlet to the ICW side. That was pretty much a locals only spot.

I've been driving St. Augustine Beach for many years, and never once had to air down my tires. The people that get stuck just don't know how to drive.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Good to know thanks!

I'll probably drop my tire air pressure down to 30ish psi at the hotel b4 hitting the beach.

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Grew up in edgewater/nsb 80s/90s

Never had a 4x4. Same in daytona.
Only upside to driving is not carrying your shit. Air down if your worried.

Since I dislike people etc when I'm trying to enjoy nature. I just normally hit the walk on access points north of Ormond..with my fish cart and fish with out dealing with traffic and waves of tourists.

At the prices for day use and how it is  segmented now...not worth it to me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By protus:
Grew up in edgewater/nsb 80s/90s

Never had a 4x4. Same in daytona.
Only upside to driving is not carrying your shit. Air down if your worried.

Since I dislike people etc when I'm trying to enjoy nature. I just normally hit the walk on access points north of Ormond..with my fish cart and fish with out dealing with traffic and waves of tourists.

At the prices for day use and how it is  segmented now...not worth it to me.
View Quote

Varn Park, and Jungle Hut Road parks in Flagler county are really nice without all the tourist crowd.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:45:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By wood714:

When you drive on at A Street, you can only go south. Back in the day you could go north all the way to St. Augustine Inlet... until some asshole backed over 2 teenage girls laying in the sun. After that they shut that section down for good.

Not too many years ago you could drive under the bridge at Matanzas Inlet to the ICW side. That was pretty much a locals only spot.

I've been driving St. Augustine Beach for many years, and never once had to air down my tires. The people that get stuck just don't know how to drive.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wood714:

Planning:

I used to drive that stretch all the time. I once found a 8' black tip shark washed up at the bridge. That was a big black tip.

Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:29:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Strike6:

I used to drive that stretch all the time. I once found a 8' black tip shark washed up at the bridge. That was a big black tip.

View Quote

I found a damn dock that washed up on St. Augustine Beach once. No storms or crazy tides, never heard how it got there.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#45]
It was weird not being able to drive on the beach when I moved here. Almost the entire gulf coast over in Texas you can drive on it, both near cities and away like on PINS.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I live a couple blocks from the holiday inn beachside in Daytona. You will be fine with the F150.

Enjoy the downstairs part of the ocean deck!
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:22:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#47]
Originally Posted By JLENG:
I live a couple blocks from the holiday inn beachside in Daytona. You will be fine with the F150.

Enjoy the downstairs part of the ocean deck!
View Quote

Thanks I'm looking forward to it. If I see one of those Volusia County On Patrol Live police officers around, I'm going to get a picture with them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Tao:
It was weird not being able to drive on the beach when I moved here. Almost the entire gulf coast over in Texas you can drive on it, both near cities and away like on PINS.
View Quote

Looks like you can camp on the beach in Texas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Tao:
View Quote

A great amount of FL coastline is private property
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I believe Fernandina Beach requires you to be a county resident now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top