Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/10/2022 6:10:14 PM EDT
I had to start feeding hay again because the grass stopped growing (near Saluda). I know this is typically the dry season but it seems drier than normal for the middle of June. Hay prices have exploded because diesel is crazy and profitability is going way down. Somehow beef prices can be twice what they were in the store but only 10% higher at the sale barn.

Thinking it might be easier to sell the cattle, tear the fencing down and put out some corn to get free pork.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear ya brother. We live in a what I call a "dry hole" area of Lexington County near Oak Grove. Storms and showers will come at us from the west and split, then go around us or amazingly evaporate before they get here. I'm doing survival watering of my lawn so it doesn't go completely dead. NOT cheap on BGWC's expense water rates.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We live in a what I call a "dry hole" area of Lexington County near Oak Grove. Storms and showers will come at us from the west and split, then go around us or amazingly evaporate before they get here.
View Quote

Sumter is the same. Camden and Manning get the rain.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m sitting here on Wateree looking at billions of gallons of water but none falling from the sky.  House has an old non functioning pump and irrigation system that needs to be rebuilt, but that’s next years project.   Also have an old well on the property, but I’ve got to use county water from the spigot for now on the yard.  Keeps the grass alive, but not growing.

Sorry guys.  It’s my fault.  I bought a new mower in the spring and I think I have only been able to mow 4 times this year.

It’s bad when you start hoping for hurricanes just to get some rain.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
...and there's a heat wave this coming week:

Monday: 97

Tuesday: 103

Wednesday: 104

Thursday: 99

Friday: 98

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m sitting here on Wateree looking at billions of gallons of water but none falling from the sky.  House has an old non functioning pump and irrigation system that needs to be rebuilt, but that’s next years project.   Also have an old well on the property, but I’ve got to use county water from the spigot for now on the yard.  Keeps the grass alive, but not growing.

Sorry guys.  It’s my fault.  I bought a new mower in the spring and I think I have only been able to mow 4 times this year.

It’s bad when you start hoping for hurricanes just to get some rain.
View Quote

There's *got* to be an easier and more direct way to transfer Lake Wateree water from behind your backyard to your yard.  

Generator, Home Depot or Northern Tool visit, pump (that bypasses old non functioning pump), sprinkler, bubble gum, chicken wire, and hold-my-beer-watch-this magic?  
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...and there's a heat wave this coming week:

Monday: 97

Tuesday: 103

Wednesday: 104

Thursday: 99

Friday: 98

View Quote

I need more tequila and rum for all the time I'll be in my pool this week.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I need more tequila and rum for all the time I'll be in my pool this week.
View Quote

Our pool has turned to warm bathwater. No longer very inviting when it gets at or above 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
It has been drought conditions of some sort for about 10 years.  

This spring has been the worst in many years.  I have to pour water to my lawn to keep it presentable.  I can't imagine the cost if I had to feed livestock.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Today 6/13: 100
Tuesday: 102
Wednesday: 100
Thursday: 100
Friday 101

Tuesday 6/21: 100
Wednesday: 103
Thursday: 102
Friday: 100

That’s a lot of triple digit days BEFORE the heat index showing on my 10 day forecast
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It has been drought conditions of some sort for about 10 years.  

This spring has been the worst in many years.  I have to pour water to my lawn to keep it presentable.  I can't imagine the cost if I had to feed livestock.
View Quote

If you want fresh, quality hay it is going for $85 for a ~900lb bale.

Link Posted: 6/13/2022 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Friday 101

That’s a lot of triple digit days BEFORE the heat index showing on my 10 day forecast
View Quote

Maybe it'll send more intolerant, arrogant Yankees with no intent to integrate back home:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-I-moved-here-from-NY-here-are-six-reasons-I-m-leaving-/5-2560454/
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Maybe it'll send more intolerant, arrogant Yankees with no intent to integrate back home:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-I-moved-here-from-NY-here-are-six-reasons-I-m-leaving-/5-2560454/
View Quote

LOL.... apparently the OP of that article is from the same Area I lived before moving here.  Buffalo NY... the armpit of the world!  moved my family here 6 years ago... the only thing I find oppressive is the amount of liberal carpetbaggers filling up the upstate.  My daughter in her mid twenties, also moved here after graduating college in WNY... she got a job teaching K-5 and bought a house here in the upstate... she loves the area and the SC culture difference from WNY.

that was a bit off subject from the OP.. for which the title makes me think of the Jackal song of the same title... and yes here in Spartanburg the ground is rock hard and very dry!
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sumter is the same. Camden and Manning get the rain.
View Quote

Manning hasn't gotten any recently. Black river water shed begins in that area and has been less than 3' for a while. Sucks for farmers, but if you can drag the aluminum boat off the trailer, the fishing is out standing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Friday 101

View Quote

Damn. I thought we were going to catch a break starting this Sunday. I guess not. As of last night the Sunday forecast was for "pleasant" with a high of 88. Now it's been changed to a high of 92 and humid.

And then there's next week. FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got back from Irmo then a swing into my old work place downtown to gloat about my retirement two months ago today and then off to lunch with a few of them.  As I was leaving Irmo, the bottom fell out. Got downtown and it followed me there.
Got back to Wateree and it’s still dry as a bone.
On a positive note, the temp is only 82 and it was supposed to be 100 by now.  I did turn my AC down before I left to 66 in anticipation of the house heating up. Yea, cold as shit in here now!
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Well it's still hot in Abbeville and the rain petered out before hitting us.  Hopefully July will be cooler.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, we got the rain just now!  Sitting here with No power after what felt like 60 MPH gusts coming off the lake. It was bad. Real bad.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Yep, Lexington area got a good heavy dose of rain yesterday. WIS did their usual Chicken Little - the sky is falling alerts all afternoon. It was just a line of summer thunderstorms, but WIS treated it like it was worse than tornadoes; typical fear mongering over kill for the clueless masses.

ETA: At least WIS weather reports blocked out the ridiculous J6 dog and pony show in DC.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yep, Lexington area got a good heavy dose of rain yesterday. WIS did their usual Chicken Little - the sky is falling alerts all afternoon. It was just a line of summer thunderstorms, but WIS treated it like it was worse than tornadoes; typical fear mongering over kill for the clueless masses.

ETA: At least WIS weather reports blocked out the ridiculous J6 dog and pony show in DC.
View Quote

Chicken little nothing

We had 50+mph winds, 30 minutes of dime sized hail, trees dropping and no power for 7 hours in Gilbert.  It was rough for a couple hours and it’s supposed to happen again this afternoon

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Got sporty in Sumter. 1" of rain in the gauge this morning. While walking the dog I saw a Palmetto tree in the park that had a section of trunk stripped down to nothing in just one 3-foot long area starting about 9' off the ground. The palm frond "stem remnants" were scattered about in a wide area even out into the street (a tall wrought iron fence separates the sidewalk from where the tree is). Looked like debris from an explosion.

Lightning strike? Could be.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Still hasn’t rained.

Getting really bad.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I had to start feeding hay again because the grass stopped growing (near Saluda). I know this is typically the dry season but it seems drier than normal for the middle of June. Hay prices have exploded because diesel is crazy and profitability is going way down. Somehow beef prices can be twice what they were in the store but only 10% higher at the sale barn.

Thinking it might be easier to sell the cattle, tear the fencing down and put out some corn to get free pork.
View Quote

Looks like the guys in Pickens County got two hay cuttings this year, but we have gotten some rain. I haven't Larped down to creek since February so I don't what's happening local. You know it's dry, when the wet springs dry up and you can walk in the beds.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Weather Channel app was calling for 3pm storms with a 9 degree temp drop. I know now from experience that means we are in for a rough ride with the winds.  Tied everything down on the dock, moved shit in that will blow away, etc.  

Later storm was moved to 6 pm and 13 degree drop.  Shit, even worse.

In the end, we got nothing.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Last night about 8 pm a good rainstorm line moved in from the north and built up over Lexington/ West Columbia area. We got a very much needed 40 minute downpour. The brown grass areas are already greening up today.

Its weird that twice in the last 2 weeks, our storm fronts have come from the North. That rarely ever happens.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Last night about 8 pm a good rainstorm line moved in from the north and built up over Lexington/ West Columbia area. We got a very much needed 40 minute downpour. The brown grass areas are already greening up today.

Its weird that twice in the last 2 weeks, our storm fronts have come from the North. That rarely ever happens.
View Quote

It's the pressure wave from all the Uhauls inbound from New York.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's the pressure wave from all the Uhauls inbound from New York.
View Quote

Bite your damned tongue!
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

We didn't get squat from that. From the roof of S.O.B. I could see the storm off in the distance likely over the Wateree River area but we got nothing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#28]
No rain yet.  Any incoming storms have petered out before reaching us.  Yard is brown and brittle.  On the plus side I don't need to mow.

Hope rain comes in sometime this week.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I’ve got three huge dead areas in my yard from last year being so dry.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I washed my truck on Sunday in hopes of causing some rain.

Did some painting outside today for more encouragement and got about 10 raindrops.

Better chances mid week in the low country.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I came down in buckets this afternoon. Just checked the rain gauge: 2"
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Wednesday's rain total was 1/2" but it was a nice, long soaking rain vs. Tuesday's deluge.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I washed my truck on Sunday in hopes of causing some rain.

Did some painting outside today for more encouragement and got about 10 raindrops.

Better chances mid week in the low country.
View Quote

You did it!

Thanks! I got about 1.5" here over 18 hours which was slow enough to avoid runoff and enough rainfall to restart the pastures.

Without consistent rain its nothing, but it was a good start.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 1:39:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Parts of Columbia got flooded yesterday. We got zip.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Parts of Columbia got flooded yesterday. We got zip.
View Quote

Wednesday/Thursday and Friday of last week we had good soaking rains that got my tomatoes and cucumbers sprouting some new growth. The river didn't come up any, so I had to drag the boat off the trailer to do any fishing saturday, but that just meant I can sit waist deep in a lawn chair to cool off.

Rained some on monday too.

The Lord provides.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#37]
We got a real good soaking yesterday out here on the lake.  Even better, it came early and left.  Later in the evening we got to pull the boat out and go to the fireworks show without rain.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't know how many of you live upstate...I am on the east side of Spartanburg and even with the heavy pop up showers all around us, just a few drops...not enough to wet the concrete,  very dry here!  I have to water my garden essentials and fruit trees just about daily... my daughter lives in Inman just about 20 minutes north west of me and has had several inches of rain both yesterday and today... so it is hit and miss, at my house mostly miss.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Two good rains here today.  Keep it coming!
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#40]
For all the fury we experienced here around 10pm the rain gauge tells a different story: about a quarter inch fell last night if that.

At 4:55am Wed. morning doggo and I hit the pavement for a 1-hour 3 mile walk and it was pretty miserable. This morning I took her to the park around 8am. Five minutes into the walk she dropped a Steaming Biden and I decided to end the walk. Even at that hour of the morning it was awful. Tried to clear some vines off a hedge around 11am and after 15 minutes gave up. Screw that...not becoming a statistic. It is a steam bath outside. Hope we get some rain out of it later today and not just a bunch of lightning.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For all the fury we experienced here around 10pm the rain gauge tells a different story: about a quarter inch fell last night if that.

At 4:55am Wed. morning doggo and I hit the pavement for a 1-hour 3 mile walk and it was pretty miserable. This morning I took her to the park around 8am. Five minutes into the walk she dropped a Steaming Biden and I decided to end the walk. Even at that hour of the morning it was awful. Tried to clear some vines off a hedge around 11am and after 15 minutes gave up. Screw that...not becoming a statistic. It is a steam bath outside. Hope we get some rain out of it later today and not just a bunch of lightning.
View Quote

Must have gotten the same bluster you did. Lots of thunder, lightning and wind. Maybe a 1/4"
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#42]
What is "that's what she said"?, for 100ARF$.

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit.  We in full swampass season!  I went out for 15 min yesterday to spread some sand in low spots in the yard.  1-60 lb bag  in 4 spots.  I came in soaking ass wet.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Sunday's afternoon-long light rain soaker was a welome change. This morning's dog walk (2.64 miles) was pretty damn miserable esp. on the way back when the prevailing breeze quit.

This week's extended forecast calls for fairly moderate temps given the time of year with scattered T-storms and showers all week long with the constant of HUMID.

I remember the summer of 2007 when for five weeks straight (August) the highs reached at least 100F every damn day. I worked out of a delivery truck with no AC.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Just spent the last hour removing honeysuckle and Virginia Creeper vines (it never ends). Yeah, hoping for a dry spell next week. Too wet, too many skeeters.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Raining just about every day here. Daily amounts are 1/2 inch and up.

Grass has recovered and now needs to be cut every 4 or 5 days.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Just went out and mowed.  Major frustration when my 4 month old $6400 ZTR has a dead battery.  
Pulled the battery, noticed one terminal felt like it came off just a little too easy.  Threw it on the charger, got it running and read the voltages.  12.5 off, 14.5 running.  So I know it’s charging, just hope it was the loose terminal.

But back in April I spread top soil in low spots in my sloped back yard. With all the heavy rains we’ve had I had to rake the soil back up into the low spots.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#48]
We certainly got heavy rains here most of the mid-late afternoon. As others mentioned, the grass needs to be cut about every 4 days or it gets away and never dries out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#49]
There always seems to be rain/storms along the coast and extending out about 100 miles offshore and these generall move in a NE direction. They never move inland.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#50]
We got over 3 inches in Summerville last Thursday evening, creating all of those Flash Flood alerts on the phones.

Some parts of Charleston got nothing that night. More hit and miss.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top