User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

You sound like my wife... but we tried get started twice...
View Quote

Is she from Michigan?
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
On a positive note, I know of 8 hardcore lefties moving out of Michigan back to leftist shitholes.  Makes me almost hope for a continued downturn in the economy here as it will make the lumberjack hipsters move back to what is familiar.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2023 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:

Is she from Michigan?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:

You sound like my wife... but we tried get started twice...

Is she from Michigan?

Imported from Kentucky
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Imported from Kentucky
View Quote

Being a bit more objective about this, I can say that people are generally more critical of a place that isn't home.

Home is family, memories, and familiarity - it's not just a physical location. My hometown isn't fantastic; I even spent most of my youth trying to leave it. However, I miss it now and feel nostalgic when I visit family that still lives there.

Link Posted: 10/14/2023 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Michigan is very polluted too although north is beautiful.

Michigan beef found to contain dangerous levels of ‘forever chemicals’

Contamination at a small farm discovered after sewage sludge was tested for PFAS, but officials downplayed incident as ‘isolated’

All fish tested from Michigan rivers contain ‘forever chemicals’, study finds

Researchers found PFAS chemicals – used to make products resistant to heat and water – in all samples of 12 species of fish

Appeals court sides with 3M in invalidating Michigan PFAS rules

Air pollution alert for July 4 in Detroit area, entire Lake Michigan shoreline in Lower Peninsula

When Line 5 ruptures say goodbye to fishing Great Lakes

In 2010, a pipeline run by Enbridge near Marshall, Mich., leaked approximately 843,000 gallons of oil into the Kalamazoo River, a tributary to Lake Michigan. A leak in the Line 5 pipeline could have long-term impacts on Michigan’s fisheries and municipal water supply, as well as the tourism industry on Mackinac Island.

Link Posted: 10/27/2023 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By playah:

Contamination at a small farm discovered after sewage sludge was tested for PFAS, but officials downplayed incident as ‘isolated’

Researchers found PFAS chemicals – used to make products resistant to heat and water – in all samples of 12 species of fish

Air pollution alert for July 4 in Detroit area, entire Lake Michigan shoreline in Lower Peninsula

In 2010, a pipeline run by Enbridge near Marshall, Mich., leaked approximately 843,000 gallons of oil into the Kalamazoo River, a tributary to Lake Michigan. A leak in the Line 5 pipeline could have long-term impacts on Michigan’s fisheries and municipal water supply, as well as the tourism industry on Mackinac Island.

View Quote

At the docks on the river near me, there are signs advising people which fish contain which chemicals and which are safe to eat. Most aren't.

I'm not defending Michigan here, but pollution happens in a lot of places. In my home state of Texas, the Houston ship channel was once declared to be the dirtiest water on the planet. They've made efforts to clean it up, but it's still far from something you'd want to swim in.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By playah:

View Quote

Oh good grief.  Fear mongering nonsense.  Yes, that would be bad.  No, it won't end all fishing everywhere in the great lakes.  Line 5 where it crosses the straits is very heavily observed, hopefully another anchor strike never happens and the tunnel is built, but if it does it is very likely to be shut down in a couple of minutes.

PFAS is a big unknown, and a potential problem (or not) everywhere.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Upon retirement, I will be moving to Mecosta County from Ohio. I’ll keep my Cincinnati house, and will make metro Big Rapids my permanent home.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#9]
^Enjoy.  I lived a little south of there for a decade.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a lot of family here. If my son decides to move I will as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AT7:
Upon retirement, I will be moving to Mecosta County from Ohio. I’ll keep my Cincinnati house, and will make metro Big Rapids my permanent home.
View Quote

Mecosta and Osceola are really nice.  Be prepared to get active on the pro 2nd front.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:

Mecosta and Osceola are really nice.  Be prepared to get active on the pro 2nd front.
View Quote

Not many more active than I. I was leadership of Ohioans For Concealed Carry and Buckeye Firearms Assn. also accepted national award at Gun Rights Policy Conference.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#13]
You'll just keep running forever.

To make it simple, you can't outrun demographics.

As older generations die off, and the younger find they simply don't have the opportunity that their parents did; people more and more move to urban centers because earning potential is simply higher than in rural areas; they become indebted day laborers beholden to their rent because bar to buy a house gets higher and higher all the time, people are going for policies and the party that supports them the most.

Virginia is blue, Georgia is blue, many areas of Texas is blue and purple. Conservatism caters to a demographic that is simply getting smaller and smaller by the day. You can't stop long term demographic trends.

I love where I live, I have access to the outdoors, rivers and lakes within walking distance. It's quiet. My taxes aren't bad, my job pays me well, and I'm close to family. That's more important to me than whoever is in Lansing at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
For me.......the insane energy laws The Guv signed the other day has me seriously thinking I don't want to retire and die in this state.  That and the Winter is getting so hard for me to put up with.  People will surely die from the definite lack of energy that will result from these edicts.  I don't want to be one of the victims.  Lots of talk about them wanting us to leave and we should stay and fight a losing battle.  I think that I'd rather be in the last "free" state than be in one where we're all broadly scattered about, divided, and conquered.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RAngry:
For me.......the insane energy laws The Guv signed the other day has me seriously thinking I don't want to retire and die in this state.  That and the Winter is getting so hard for me to put up with.  People will surely die from the definite lack of energy that will result from these edicts.  I don't want to be one of the victims.  Lots of talk about them wanting us to leave and we should stay and fight a losing battle.  I think that I'd rather be in the last "free" state than be in one where we're all broadly scattered about, divided, and conquered.
View Quote

I had some fun trolling the liberals on the "nextdoor" app over this.  They truly believe they are only saving lives, not harming them by forcing this on the population of the state.  Absolutely boggles my mind how little they know about the EV industry and supply chain.  

They want us to leave, because we have the land, and means to survive.  If the grid went down, most of the dem voter base would be gone in a few weeks.  Might be a self correcting problem....

The next election cycle will be truly telling on the direction of the country and state.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not leaving.   Wife is from the UP.  My family is from N Ontario and we have land there but I'd have to eliminate 2/3 of my gun collection to live in Ontario full time.  So in retirement we'll move to the tip of the pinky or ring finger and split our time between the two countries.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 4:10:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Enzo300] [#17]
This is a beautiful state. I'll never "leave" it, but I am a year out from downsizing hard to a Thanksgiving to Christmas abode,
and buying a more permanent home in Italy.

Some things feel SO free. Awesome gun laws (thanks for your efforts Dave!), and
the freedom to enjoy natures bounty without looking over your shoulder for those who choose.

But I was yesterday years old when I learned that the State Po actually blocked the roads to up north during Covid,
and were turning people around. I'm glad I wasn't wanting to go up north then. That kinda shit needs more OK Corral.

FreedomHouse.org Liberty scores
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top