Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2023 10:23:25 PM EDT
As my wife likes to point out..."our fellow citizens are bound and determined to make Michigan the California of the midwest."

I sit here thinking...when is it time to pull the plug?

I work near the Capitol. Walk by it everyday. I am not a state employee.

It disgusts me the rallies they have. The conversations of the vile left you here. The self righteous pompous politicians.

Next stop "Assault Weapons Ban".

I already had one buddy leave for the Dakotas.

I love the company I work for. I enjoy my job.

Born here. Raised here. Left here and came back twice.  If we don't make headway in the next election...it may be time to surrender and retreat.

Link Posted: 5/13/2023 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Move here from Ok 15 years ago.  

My dislikes :
1. Snow
2. Michigan winters
3. Michigan politics

2. Golf courses

Now the company wants us to return to the office if we live within a 50 mile radius of an office so we can collaborate.  Have no desire to return to the office to "collaborate" with people in different depts.

Looking to move back to Ok this year.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Too poor and sick to move.

Besides, anywhere you go will end up like here sooner, not later.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thinking about it.

only thing keeping me here is the lower humidity and the all the lakes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Last week made my 17th year here. I came from Alabama and Georgia. Politically this State has always been different politically from where I grew up. I have made this my home with a marriage of 16 years to my wife and having my 2 boys, 14 and 10. Liberal views are creeping into my home States too. They just aren't as far gone as this State is .....yet. Even though things look grim, I think of this verse about Elijah.

God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew. Don’t you know what Scripture says in the passage about Elijah—how he appealed to God against Israel: “Lord, they have killed your prophets and torn down your altars; I am the only one left, and they are trying to kill me”? And what was God’s answer to him? “I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal.”
Romans 11:2‭-‬4 NIV

I pray God has called me for something. Like one of those seven thousand then, like one in the 1700s who served the Continental Army, like one in 1864, or 1944. Who was born and given a purpose. That's my view on why I will stay here with my family.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not leaving,  but I would understand why others would want to.

I think our elections are compromised and whitmer and nessel have big plans for us.

Clearly the fbi in this state are corrupt and constantly trying to entrap citizen dissenters.

Personally I've always been a gluten for punishment and things may be about to get interesting in this state.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:21:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jchewie1] [#6]
Line 5 closure without its replacement in place.
AWB with teeth in enforcement.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I have too much here to be leaving for any reason at all.......

I may not like it, but I'm close enough to dead I won't have to deal with it all that long.  I'd most likely just ignore what I don't like and do as I please anyhow.  That's pretty much what I do now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the Rocky Mountains, but I should have moved there over 40 years ago. My energy level as a senior citizen and retirement finances makes that impossible now.

With my luck I would have chosen Colorado and be even more screwed when it comes to freedoms than Michigan. New Mexico too, living above 6000 feet in New Mexico would have been heaven. Hot days and cool evenings even in the summer. Elevation is a thing in hot climates.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ClanDireWolf:

Besides, anywhere you go will end up like here sooner, not later.
View Quote

This. Texas of all places came one step closer to banning AR's, TEXAS !
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
Line 5 closure without its replacement in place.
AWB with teeth in enforcement.
View Quote

This, especially if they try to kill off castle doctrine/stand your ground too.

Other main factor would be if the wife and I have kids and can't find a good home school network. I'm not letting my kids be groomed.

Then again, I see the path we're on, and know we can't run from this shit forever, so might as well dig my heels in here and now.  Very few states can offer the multitude of outdoor recreation that Michigan can.  My life would be vastly different if I wasn't raised in the woods here, I'm grateful for it, and feel obligated to keep fighting for it.  

Sure would like to be north of the bridge tho when things finally implode.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not leaving. Mass non compliance is the future. We know they wont stop now that they have the machine firmly in place. They will count for days and days next election, and we will all watch.  The machine however is showing cracks, big ones. Eventually it will collapse under its own weight, because it was an unsustainable lie to begin with. Most of our adult lives were filled with lies by the institution.

Oregon, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Colorado. Many states face the same blue island sea of red issue. We are not the only ones.

Local elections and the county Sheriff are far more important. Lansing only has power as long as they still get compliance from the masses. That compliance is not infinite, especially considering how fragile our economy and other things are.

The lefts insistence of self sterilization (multiple ways), abortion, and not having kids are political time bombs for them. In the meantime we have mass non compliance. Let them virtue signal their way to political genocide.

This idea of running at the first sign of trouble wins nothing. Keep a reasonable balance on the state level and let the left self destruct. We will be in survival mode in 5 years anyways, expect things to get tough. Do not quit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#12]
They can pretend to pass constitutional laws and I’ll pretend to care.

I just don’t care anymore. Really.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KTangoMike:
Sure would like to be north of the bridge tho when things finally implode.
View Quote

Zilwaukee? or Mackinaw? Lol
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#14]
14,000 lakes and three Great Lakes.

Fresh water shoreline greater than anywhere else in the world.

Dozens of shooting ranges within a couple hours of my home, to include 600 yard venues.

Lifelong friends, relatives and co-workers abide here.

I'm three miles from a good hospital and three blocks from the grocery store, living in the country would change that for sure.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, get used to it. Our enemies want us to flee. I think we should stay and fight for what's right.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By a_number_1:

View Quote

Anything more than a half a gas tank away. It was a factor when I was looking for my land.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
They can pretend to pass constitutional laws and I’ll pretend to care.

I just don’t care anymore. Really.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:46:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By a_number_1:

View Quote

Either one would be better than my current proximity to Detroit/Lansing.  I'm "rural" by SE Michigan standards, but well within a tank of gas from Detroit...

But I was definitely referring to Mackinaw.  I'm trying to locate 30+ acres in the UP, preferably not too far from Marquette.  Would be used as an investment to hedge against inflation, and BOL/ rifle training range.  I have a pistol range at home currently, but I'd be pushing the limits of my neighbors if I started running around out back with 5.56.

I would kill for a consistent place to run and gun with rifles, that isn't public.  SE Michigan public ranges are freaking terrifying lately.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 6:27:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not leaving.  I'm getting too old and too tired to pack up 50ish years of stuff to move.

Not only that, but I couldn't care less what "Laws" they pass, They can KMA.  

I've been saying for a long time, what this state needs is a good enema to clear the shit out, and it can't be done if there isn't anyone around to squeeze the bottle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#19]
That's a hard question to answer. Currently I have a job that pays well with great benefits and our families are close by. The more I think about it, the more I'm comfortable staying and standing up to whatever the wicked witches of Lansing come up with. Once you get out of the larger urban/suburban areas in the state, mass noncompliance would probably be the norm.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By klutz347:
I'm not leaving.  I'm getting too old and too tired to pack up 50ish years of stuff to move.

Not only that, but I couldn't care less what "Laws" they pass, They can KMA.  

I've been saying for a long time, what this state needs is a good enema to clear the shit out, and it can't be done if there isn't anyone around to squeeze the bottle.
View Quote

This.

and never forget (nothing to see here)

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#21]
We are home schoolers. I live directly across from a City of Lansing government elementary school.

There are good homeschooling networks around.

Rumor is axing homeschooling is on the agenda.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 243savage:
Last week made my 17th year here. I came from Alabama and Georgia. Politically this State has always been different politically from where I grew up. I have made this my home with a marriage of 16 years to my wife and having my 2 boys, 14 and 10. Liberal views are creeping into my home States too. They just aren't as far gone as this State is .....yet. Even though things look grim, I think of this verse about Elijah.

God did not reject his people, whom he foreknew. Don’t you know what Scripture says in the passage about Elijah—how he appealed to God against Israel: “Lord, they have killed your prophets and torn down your altars; I am the only one left, and they are trying to kill me”? And what was God’s answer to him? “I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal.”
Romans 11:2‭-‬4 NIV

I pray God has called me for something. Like one of those seven thousand then, like one in the 1700s who served the Continental Army, like one in 1864, or 1944. Who was born and given a purpose. That's my view on why I will stay here with my family.
View Quote

I'm reading through Judges now and Luke.

Loved your response.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By 243savage:
View Quote

Amen brother.  I've never understood how some people take great pride in the idea of moving to another state.  As if retreat is somehow brave and defiant.  It really shows the measure of a man and I'm glad to read so many people in this thread stating they plan to stay rather than flee.  It gives me great hope and joy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bebop_941:

Amen brother.  I've never understood how some people take great pride in the idea of moving to another state.  As if retreat is somehow brave and defiant.  It really shows the measure of a man and I'm glad to read so many people in this thread stating they plan to stay rather than flee.  It gives me great hope and joy.
View Quote

They do away with homeschooling and that will be it. I don't have money to fight the state. I won't lose my kid. I won't allow government indoctrination.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:01:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#25]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

They do away with homeschooling and that will be it. I don't have money to fight the state. I won't lose my kid. I won't allow government indoctrination.
View Quote

I understand wanting to home school.  However, I don't think there's a place you can go where the government won't try to indoctrination your child, one way or another.  I do realize homeschooling is a big safeguard.

That said, we're talking about two different things.  I'm referring to those who don't even consider fighting for their own rights and are the first in line to abandon ship.  They prefer going where someone else has done the heavy lifting for them.  Not only are they cowards, but they are extremely proud in their cowardice and smug about their decision to bail out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#26]
The AWB is a big one for me, I work for a firearms manufacturer and if i cant own or sell the main means of providing for my family, I'm out.

Cutting homeschooling is the other red line for my wife and I and our little one hasn't even been born yet.

Fuck you, Whitmer

I was born here and wanted to raise my family here.... its not looking like thats gonna happen
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:29:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#27]
I get it that alot of people want to move for the sake of their families and children.  But all you're really doing is putting your children in the same situation 20 years down the road.  Where they will have to decide if they're going to uproot their children and move because this shit has spread even more.  And when that time comes, there will be less places for them to run.  I propose we all stand now so our children don't have too.

Edited for brevity.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#28]
This is why non-compliance is the future. Even if you move to another state, as Bebop_941 says accurately it will happen there too. As long as cities exist they will abuse the framework around our elections and produce many more Michigan's on the national level.

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 1:10:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bebop_941] [#29]
Originally Posted By sneakytails:
This is why non-compliance is the future.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 10:58:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZitiForBreakfast] [#30]
Mine was in 2018..All of it. Finally had enough.. Cost of living, taxes, handouts to MAJOR companies (yeah I know it exists everywhere), roads, gas prices, politics, shit weather 7+ months out of the year.

Left December 4th, 2019 and grateful each and everyday I am no longer up there.

Miss some people, but I am never going back.

Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#31]
This ship's got three years to reverse course, or I'm out.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Watching the farm communities I grew up in turn into leftist shitholes in less than 10 years has my mind made up. The Grand Rapids commies are headed north in hordes and nothing is working to stop them. Add in the BS laws/ideology and it's becoming too much to take. Ended up putting my 2 weeks in on Monday to a non related issue and if I can hack bumping up to full time stock trading I can work anywhere. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:33:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ajek] [#34]
Originally Posted By KTangoMike:

Either one would be better than my current proximity to Detroit/Lansing.  I'm "rural" by SE Michigan standards, but well within a tank of gas from Detroit...

But I was definitely referring to Mackinaw.  I'm trying to locate 30+ acres in the UP, preferably not too far from Marquette.  Would be used as an investment to hedge against inflation, and BOL/ rifle training range.  I have a pistol range at home currently, but I'd be pushing the limits of my neighbors if I started running around out back with 5.56.

I would kill for a consistent place to run and gun with rifles, that isn't public.  SE Michigan public ranges are freaking terrifying lately.
View Quote

I'm from Marquette originally (living near Detroit now).

I would suggest looking South or West of Ishpeming (which itself is about 10-15min West of Marquette). I grew up hunting and fishing in that area and still have family and friends with land in and around there.

North along the lake is Big Bay, and I know a few people who have camps out that way, but I'm not sure of the size of the plots of land - or winter access.

FWIW, Ted Nugent has a couple hunting camps in the area...I believe one is near Big Bay, and the other is South of Ishpeming.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ZitiForBreakfast:
Mine was in 2018..All of it. Finally had enough.. Cost of living, taxes, handouts to MAJOR companies (yeah I know it exists everywhere), roads, gas prices, politics, shit weather 7+ months out of the year.

Left December 4th, 2019 and grateful each and everyday I am no longer up there.

Miss some people, but I am never going back.

View Quote

We might need your help in relocating...
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Seven_Sixty_Two:
The AWB is a big one for me, I work for a firearms manufacturer and if i cant own or sell the main means of providing for my family, I'm out.

Cutting homeschooling is the other red line for my wife and I and our little one hasn't even been born yet.

Fuck you, Whitmer

I was born here and wanted to raise my family here.... its not looking like thats gonna happen
View Quote

Every law they passed recently has been beaten in court in other states. Why let a cunt like Stretchin’ Whitler make you bend to her will? She wants you gone.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Im about 4 miles from the Ohio border, But I have a place in norther michigan also, Ive often thought of the Reasonable Auto insurance in Ohio anyway.  If the Libdards want to raise our taxes and take rights It could be a good option to live in the suckeye state.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By WolfAmongSheep1:

We might need your help in relocating...
View Quote

I had exit options with my career. That was a HUGE benefit. I went down to the southern border often and after a long conversation with a mentor of mine when, I used his guidance, and his encouragement to get after it. Started the process in April of '19 and was gone in December of '19.

My co-workers at the time in Detroit thought I was fucking crazy. Now, my phone rings with them looking to leave..
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#39]
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/michigan/2023/06/01/whitmer-creates-group-to-study-solutions-to-michigan-population-loss/70246882007/

Whitmer creates commission to study solutions to Michigan population loss

Mackinac Island — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Thursday formed a commission to study and address Michigan's population loss problem during a yearly policy conference that centered on the state's challenges attracting and retaining talent — an effort that some Republicans characterized as a "political cover" to raise taxes.
--------------------

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I have no problem with the Michigan laws I choose to follow, I'm not leaving.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#41]
I left in 2021 after all the covid insanity. Lived in Wayne county. Most of the people in the Detroit area are cucked pussies and loved the mask mandates. I think that goes for a lot of metros though.

I think about coming back because I miss my family a lot. But if they pass an AWB I’m out. There’s a lot of other places I’d rather live than TN but they’re run by liberal faggot lovers who ruin everything. Sad that Michigan is joining their ranks, I grew up there and miss the lakes and outdoors stuff.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/michigan/2023/06/01/whitmer-creates-group-to-study-solutions-to-michigan-population-loss/70246882007/

Whitmer creates commission to study solutions to Michigan population loss

Mackinac Island — Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Thursday formed a commission to study and address Michigan's population loss problem during a yearly policy conference that centered on the state's challenges attracting and retaining talent — an effort that some Republicans characterized as a "political cover" to raise taxes.
--------------------

View Quote

They must be hiring some real rocket surgeons to look at this and figure out what’s happening….
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Michigander since birth here,

not my favorite place to live as i hateeee the cold but the summer's haven't been too shabby lately. I also have never been up north like most michiganders have, but I've heard its beautiful. Any places up north recommended?
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By BB868:
View Quote

Hard to believe this would be constitutional.

But then again they hate that document that restricts them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Dozens of shooting ranges within a couple hours of my home, to include 600 yard venues.

I'm three miles from a good hospital and three blocks from the grocery store, living in the country would change that for sure.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, get used to it. Our enemies want us to flee. I think we should stay and fight for what's right.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bullnose:
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hellyeah-175.jpg

My view as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#48]
At this point not a lot of places are better. It's either taxes or gun laws or social programs or something. Currently we still have relatively low taxes, decent gun laws and aren't overburdened with social programs. Just returned from visiting MA and my cousin's brand new subdivision by law has 15% allocated to poverty housing. There are low end trash living among the well-to-do others and ruining the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I moved here from TX a little over 5 years ago for my wife. I regret it just about every day.

My experience has included: higher taxes, lower salaries, dumb gun laws, rude people, shitty weather, never-ending battles with dampness and rust (my hobbies are guns and old cars, so I hate rust). I have not found anything to like other than fall festivals (which are a tiny part of my life). On a personal note, I'm allergic to everything in the air here, so for the 1/3 of the year that the air doesn't hurt my face, I have congestion and respiratory infections.

I sympathize with natives. It's much harder to leave friends, family, and familiarity. Imagine living here without even those ties or positive associations. My wife wants to be near her family, and I want my wife to be happy, so I suffer. If it were up to me, we would've left long ago, and I'm still scheming.
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:
I moved here from TX a little over 5 years ago for my wife. I regret it just about every day.

My experience has included: higher taxes, lower salaries, dumb gun laws, rude people, shitty weather, never-ending battles with dampness and rust (my hobbies are guns and old cars, so I hate rust). I have not found anything to like other than fall festivals (which are a tiny part of my life). On a personal note, I'm allergic to everything in the air here, so for the 1/3 of the year that the air doesn't hurt my face, I have congestion and respiratory infections.

I sympathize with natives. It's much harder to leave friends, family, and familiarity. Imagine living here without even those ties or positive associations. My wife wants to be near her family, and I want my wife to be happy, so I suffer. If it were up to me, we would've left long ago, and I'm still scheming.
View Quote

You sound like my wife... but we tried get started twice...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top