Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2018 2:22:36 PM EDT
Is there a good general timeframe or is it more dependent on weather?  Seems like there would be some combonation of time of year + how cold it is.

When do most of you start hunting for sheds?
Any tips for success?  I am thinking of mostly hunting the edges of fields and along roads that go through wooded areas thinking that crossing in/out might knock something loose.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't shed hunt, but here's some people who do;

https://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/shed-hunting.79/
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a dog? Pet stores carry antlers for dogs to chew on. I made a game for my lab hiding them around my back yard (lots of woods) and he caught on to what he was looking for. Now when we go for walks in the woods he will jet off the trail and go drag some back. More than once there was a whole skull attached. He has a nose for ducks, antlers and apples. He can smell an apple a mile away.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Late December through midish February.  I usually try to look around January through March.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Sadly, no dog. But yours sounds like a lot of fun, if I get a dog down the road I’ll be sure to train it up.

I’ve been studying, and I plan to go out and find a few this winter.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Late December through midish February.  I usually try to look around January through March.
View Quote
Thats pretty much it.  Sometimes (depending on the area) its faster to ride an ATV along fence lines, drainage ditches, etc.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had most of my luck around ponds.  Frozen and otherwise.  I found a match set stuck in the mud once.  Very nice 8 pointer.  The second place I seem to find them is fence lines.  I have had luck in Feb and March.  I have found a few mushroom hunting but they had been chewed on by I am guessing mice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I myself wait till mushroom hunting to make it a dual purpose hunt. Last year was fortunate to find both antlers from same buck at different locations. The only other animals that I can figure  chewing on them are the squirrels making the search earlier in the year to find whole antlers.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Saw a deer in my AO this evening.  Believe it was a buck with his rack still intact.  Pretty confident it was.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top