Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2023 9:02:54 PM EDT
We're going to a extended family reunion in a few months at a distant cousin's farm west of Pittsburgh.

Mom is from Pittsburgh, so during my childhood we went out four or five times a year to see my grandparents.  So Mom and I have a connection to the city.

Briskette only came with me for Thanksgiving.  My kids have never been there, and with few relatives out there, it's unlikely we'll go back after this trip.  (I go out every few years to take a set of certification exams, but that doesn't count.)

So what should I try to get us to see?  What says "I will only be in Pittsburgh once so I better see "?

Kennywood is out , Briskette has seen too many news stories.
None of us are sports fans.
And while I'm for Pittsburgh in most things, the Primanti sandwich is not the equal of a cheesesteak.

Thanks (yinz).
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:10:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#1]
Carnegie Science Center for the kids??? I went roughly three decades ago.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:27:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bulump] [#2]
Science Center
Heinz Museum
If it's warm, take the clipper tour
walk the Strip District
walk the Point
I know you said you're not into sports, but I would find the cheapest Pirates ticket for an evening game just for the Pitt skyline as the sun goes down
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Drive 40 minutes further west and I'll take you on a tour to check out the big East Palestine train derailment site.

J/K of course.

As mentioned earlier, a Gateway Clipper cruise would make for an interesting low stress afternoon and the Carnegie Science Center was a great day for my kids over the years.

Get tickets there to tour a cold war era submarine, USS Requiem.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:15:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stockshift] [#4]
I lived and worked in Pittsburgh (Squirrel Hill) many years ago.

I second the idea to visit the WW2 submarine (can't remember its name).  I think it is at the Carnegie Science Center.

In addition to what has been mentioned, take a trip up the Duquesne Incline (it's basically a rail car that takes you up the slope of Mt. Washington) for some great views.  

If you are near Pitt (the University), you might want to visit The Tower of Learning and go up to the top for some really good views.  (Pitt is in Oakland, which was not a great area in the 1990s so hopefully it has changed -- but if it has not, don't go there just for visiting.  Not much to see beyond the Tower and the "O" (hot dog place)).

Primanti's isn't bad, but I never thought it was earth-shatteringly good or anything.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on the age of your kids, the Children's museum is good.  The aviary is a couple blocks away from the childen's museum
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JK_Pyre] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stockshift:

I second the idea to visit the WW2 submarine (can't remember its name).  I think it is at the Carnegie Science Center.

In addition to what has been mentioned, take a trip up the Duquesne Incline (it's basically a rail car that takes you up the slope of Mt. Washington) for some great views.  

If you are near Pitt (the University), you might want to visit The Tower of Learning and go up to the top for some really good views.  (Pitt is in Oakland, which was not a great area in the 1990s so hopefully it has changed -- but if it has not, don't go there just for visiting.  Not much to see beyond the Tower and the "O" (hot dog place)).

Primanti's isn't bad, but I never thought it was earth-shatteringly good or anything.
View Quote

USS Requin
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If you go into the city on the north side to take in some attractions, stop by Peppies for one of the best sandwiches you'll ever have -- I recommend the sicilian with pepper relish
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JK_Pyre:

USS Requin
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

USS Requin

Guess I misspelled it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Y-T71:

Guess I misspelled it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Y-T71:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=quote&b=8&f=14&t=668099&tl=What-should-I-not-miss-while-near-Pittsburgh-&r=7345610&page=1#

USS Requin

Guess I misspelled it.

No worries, Bro. I was a facility manager (14 years) for a bunch of buildings on the north side and it just so happens that the Science Center was my home office.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Several years ago before old age set in I went to the Requin and some kid in a wheel chair wasn't being allowed to go on board.

I said, "Hey, Kid, hop on." and carried him through the sub on my back.

Link Posted: 4/9/2023 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By piccolo:
Several years ago before old age set in I went to the Requin and some kid in a wheel chair wasn't being allowed to go on board.

I said, "Hey, Kid, hop on." and carried him through the sub on my back.

View Quote

That's fantastic!!

I've been on it more than a few times and it's pretty cramped for just myself, 2 people together had to have been tight.

Good man!
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 5:32:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wils91] [#12]
If you want to drive south about 45 minutes you can check out Ohio Pyle for the waterfalls hiking trails and scenery. Frank Loyd Wright's FallingWater is close and Laurel Caverns isn't too far away. Also, Fort Necessity and Braddocks Grave is a few minutes from those along with the Jumonville cross which offers a great view of the surrounding valley .Another 20 minutes or so south of that is Friendship Hill Mansion which belonged to Albert Gallatin. It's a neat place with a bunch of walking trails on the property.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Hot Loads and jello salad.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
View Quote

How is the National Aviary?
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Brisk:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Brisk:

awesome.

a bird pooped on my grandfathers head there when i was little.   its really a friggin awesome place.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
the  Primanti sandwich sucks BTW

Link Posted: 4/16/2023 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#18]
the  Primanti sandwich sucks BTW

View Quote

I had one some years ago (Primantis but not at the Strip District).  It wasn't bad.  I'm for Pittsburgh in most things (Mom is from there), but the cheesesteak is a far superior sandwich.  Adding fries to what's basically a corned beef special isn't...special.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#19]
We are about 2 hrs from Pitt and take our son to the Carnegie Science Center a few times a year.  We did the childrens museum a  lot when he was younger, but the science center has more stuff for someone over around 6 and still has stuff for younger kids.

The science center has a Vikings exhibit that is still going on we did last time that was really cool.  You have to pay extra, but i enjoyed.  They also have imax movies on various things

Carnegie Museum of Natural History is worth a look, as well as a Gateway Clipper cruise as someone mentioned
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
https://riversofsteel.com/experiences/tours/industrial-tour/

This is a can't miss.https://riversofsteel.com/experiences/tours/industrial-tour/
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:45:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I think Pamala's has the best corn beef hash.  That's all I got.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top