Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2020 6:40:59 PM EDT
Do Counties / Cities have their own income tax on top of what the state takes?
I understand there is a hefty tax on cars when you get a title. Is that a once and done thing or are there yearly property taxes on top of the sales/title tax?

What other BS should I know about?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Once and done for ad valorum tax, after that it's about $25/year for tag renewals.  I don't know of any Georgia cities or counties with a local income tax, there are sales and property taxes.
View Quote
Until enough of the northern people fleeing from high taxes vote for the same shit they are running from...to change it
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Until enough of the northern people fleeing from high taxes vote for the same shit they are running from...to change it
View Quote
I love it when people who have never lived in the north  just regurgitate the same tired stereotypes about northerners and politics.

There are plenty of southern politicians screwing their constituents. Take good look at B'ham and the surrounding cities. Tarrant City, for example, has a 10% sales tax rate: 4% state, 2% county, and 4% city.

I used to pay a 1% "occupational tax" on my gross earnings just for the privilege of working in B'ham 20 years ago. I suppose that's a northern thing too, huh?
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love it when people who have never lived in the north  just regurgitate the same tired stereotypes about northerners and politics.

There are plenty of southern politicians screwing their constituents. Take good look at B'ham and the surrounding cities. Tarrant City, for example, has a 10% sales tax rate: 4% state, 2% county, and 4% city.

I used to pay a 1% "occupational tax" on my gross earnings just for the privilege of working in B'ham 20 years ago. I suppose that's a northern thing too, huh?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not regurgitating anything...it is fact that people from the northeast are fleeing in record numbers to low tax states...like GA or FL and then vote for the very things they flee from...like a plague of locusts.  So much so many states have exit taxes in place to punish those that leave.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am not regurgitating anything...it is fact that people from the northeast are fleeing in record numbers to low tax states...like GA or FL and then vote for the very things they flee from...like a plague of locusts.  So much so many states have exit taxes in place to punish those that leave.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit. I returned a rental car today, and the two ladies I spoke with had braids and were both NYers from their accents. It is not a stretch of the imagination that they will both be voting in November for Bloomturd or whoever the Dems put in front of them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
It was in NYC, it was called the "City Waiver" when I was paying it for the privilege of working there starting 27 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
We had a customer come in yesterday that was about 54 years old that had never completed a 4473.  He was from the northeast.  I asked him what brought him to Georgia, and he said the cost of living in Connecticut was too high.

I paid local income tax when I worked in Cleveland, Ohio.

My brother left Pennsylvania for Texas because of the property taxes he paid.

Between income taxes, sales tax, and property taxes, Georgia could be better, but it still seems like we're better off than most northern states are.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Higher taxes than our neighbors. The tags for your car the first time cost enough to make a down payment on another car. The republicans love toll roads and raised our gas taxes. Property taxes are nothing to brag about I supposedly had a reduction last year and they still increased by $50 for a school bond. The state gave counties an option of adding another 3 percent of sales tax so you can pay between 7% to 8.9% sales tax in most of the state.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Every year the county tax collector will "reassess" the market price value of your home and raise taxes accordingly. You can protest the assessment and provide your own supporting information that may or may not sway the decision in your favor, it all depends on the county.

Even after 5 years of small tax increases I'm still paying less than I was up north for 4x the house here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top