Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2019 10:24:59 PM EDT
Send me an IM if you don't care to respond in thread.  I don't sense Alabama has anything comparable to VCDL or AZCDL, but I have to admit I haven't been very plugged in for the last couple of years either.

Does Alabama need something different that what it has today for firearms rights?
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn’t Bama Carry have a guy OC at a polling place and act like a sovereign citizen and end up getting arrested?
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn’t Bama Carry have a guy OC at a polling place and act like a sovereign citizen and end up getting arrested?
View Quote
Yes.
Alabama voter convicted for openly carrying gun to poll

Technically, the guy was correct but the Sheriff had a beef against him.  He was convicted on causing a disturbance even though the only one that was disturbed was the Sheriff.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Is any group tracking what the legislators are up to, getting tables at gunshows around the state, and publicizing who is working for and against RKBA so that voters have that info during elections?  Any organization going through the bills and spreading the word?  I see a lot of individuals doing it in their part, but I don't see Bama Carry or any other org at a table at local gun shows.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just checked their website and their domain bamacarry.org is available for purchase, so.. I don't know what happened to them
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Great thread OP!!!!

After recently not hearing back from two Republican State Reps about CC after reaching out, I'm motivated to help form some kind of powerful lobbying organization for our State gun laws.   It would be hugely supported if people knew about it, given guns are hugely supported in Alabama.

This needs to happen, we need a powerful, strong, unified force to impose our will (and people's majority beliefs of this State) on our elected officials.    I'd volunteer to help in many different ways.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Bama Carry got off to a rough start and rubbed people the wrong way with the anti-cop crap in the Facebook group, but they've mostly cleaned out the garbage now. There is a main group and local chapters.

The website is down, but the Facebook group is active.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Will have to check out their facebook.  I'd hate to step on or conflict with folks that are being effective, but our on going issue getting ccw/vehicle carry issues through the legislature point to the need for something new.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
They lack the funding to effectively lobby. While the Facebook group is fairly active and has 20k members, only a minority are paying members. I've seen a few of the chapters that started going to their local ranges and Exile Armory in Weaver has hosted the Calhoun chapter a number of times at special events. But, it's all fairly unorganized and dependent on volunteers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone know anyone who is familiar with non profits and PACs in AL?
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
On the one hand you're probably right.  On the other hand, a number of folks recently having to destroy hundreds of dollars of personal property to avoid unlawful enforcement actions against them due to NRA endorsing bumpfire support devices being magically deemed machine guns makes it hard for more people to look to them as allies.  Not saying NRA has no value, but between this and red flags they've badly damaged their brand name this year.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
All valid points.  Everything is more challenging right now, and not looking to get easier as time goes by, which is what makes the stalling in the AL public safety committee so outrageous
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 5:02:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
On the one hand you're probably right.  On the other hand, a number of folks recently having to destroy hundreds of dollars of personal property to avoid unlawful enforcement actions against them due to NRA endorsing bumpfire support devices being magically deemed machine guns makes it hard for more people to look to them as allies.  Not saying NRA has no value, but between this and red flags they've badly damaged their brand name this year.
View Quote
Bama's right. For good or bad, Bama Carry is currently a disorganized mess with lack of funding and leadership that doesn't seem to understand basic optics.

Update- the website is back online at a new address: bamacarry.us
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Bama's right. For good or bad, Bama Carry is currently a disorganized mess with lack of funding and leadership that doesn't seem to understand basic optics.

Update- the website is back online at a new address: bamacarry.us
View Quote
Anybody else see a problem with this page:

https://www.bamacarry.us/chapters.html
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Farley and Treadway won't take my calls, requests for a sit down or return my emails. They know, that I know, they are full of shit.

View Quote
There's the thing.  Right now its mostly just some random individuals they can ignore.  The people have no carrot or stick to bring to bear.  A PAC that provides funds and advocacy for candidates that don't kill bills in comittee would help.  A grass roots awareness org that makes sure everyone knows what's going on via gun shows, events, newsletters, and assessments of legislator performance gets the momentum.

That's what we need, and we need it effective for the 2020 cycle where republicans will be interested in things to attract the voters to the polls
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There's the thing.  Right now its mostly just some random individuals they can ignore.  The people have no carrot or stick to bring to bear.  A PAC that provides funds and advocacy for candidates that don't kill bills in comittee would help.  A grass roots awareness org that makes sure everyone knows what's going on via gun shows, events, newsletters, and assessments of legislator performance gets the momentum.

That's what we need, and we need it effective for the 2020 cycle where republicans will be interested in things to attract the voters to the polls
View Quote
Let's start a list (private obviously) with names, emails, and numbers for members, and people we come in contact with at gunshows, gunstores, and shooting events that we feel are truly committed individuals, or individuals that have money to donate, but no time to organize or march on these asshats.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
The problem is, a lot of folks are not willing to give money to an org that doesn't actually do anything. BamaCarry came about because of the shenanigans of Alabama Open Carry/Alabama Gun Rights. BamaCarry never got any real funding. They never showed what they were doing with the money earned from the memberships. I became a BamaCarry member for a year. In that entire time they never did anything. You had all the idiots on the facebook group but I would say barely 1% were actual paying members. BC never did any real lobbying to fight to expand Alabama gun rights. They setup at gun shows to get more membership. No one could really answer what they were doing with the money. If BamaCarry had worked with NRA-ILA to get stuff done, then maybe they would be more successful.
Link Posted: 4/10/2019 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#21]
It seems to me a fresh start is needed that comprehends past issues, and drives a new vision that will have impact.  It will take a few good men to architect, and more to give it life.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Some good points made here.  Bama Carry has a tendency to make just about everyone angry.  They are decidedly anti-Leo.   I think most of this comes from their retired ff leadership.

I’d stick with NRA even if it too has problems that need immediate attention.  It seems Oliver North was trying and got booted for it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If it wasn't for the NRA we would not have got Shall Issue and the permit age lowered to 18 in AL. The NRA is the reason we got Short Barrel Rifles and Short Barrel Shoguns legalized in AL

It was the NRA who hosted the HTF event at Hoover Tactical to push Constitutional Carry and got State Rep Farley to attend.

They are the ones sitting down with the state reps trying to get us better gun laws. NOBODY else is even close to do what the NRA has done in our state.

Bumpstock bans and Red Flag laws were coming regardless of the NRA.
View Quote
Who was your NRA Lobbyist at that time, is it the same person now?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top