Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2021 11:33:09 PM EDT
I saw Pritzker's order for all healthcare workers to get vaccinated or be tested weekly.  I would be ok with testing, but the vaccine is not right for me.  I may need to move to a state that is free and find new work. Anyone know where they still have freedom?

Especially asking for people working in healthcare.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
They'll all fall eventually.  I just bought land in Iowa.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
California is the place you outta be. So they packed up their car and moved to Beverly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been to Eastern Tennessee and like the area.  I'm now in South Dakota traveling I90 and meeting like minded people. I am thinking more of SD. I like outdoors, hunting fish etc.. If I were you I would look at states you're interested in and go to the home forum of those states and ask questions.   I have great friends in Illinois but another increase of 5 billion in taxes is horseshit. I pay over 6K property tax and can buy similar properties in Tennessee and pay 600 to 1K for taxes.
Good luck and start now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I lived in Illinois for 65 years. It was a good place to make a living- work was always easy to find. When I started considering retirement, I knew I would be leaving Illinois. The taxes and politics that I tolerated during my working career were no longer tolerable. My wife and I found a place in SW Missouri that we are really enjoying. We went from a 1/3 acre lot in the Chicago suburbs and $4500/yr taxes to a 20 acre place in the country with a newer, nicer house and a 2000 sf shop building and sub $1000 taxes. Good fishing on a 25,000 acre lake is just down the road. I can shoot and hunt on my own property. Jobs aren't as plentiful here and obviously, the wages are lower, but the cost of living is much less too. I wouldn't go back to Illinois if someone gave me a free house.
Link Posted: 8/28/2021 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been looking at a few free states for retirement, and now that I may be forced to leave before retirement I'm looking at options to bridge my income. Nursing is currently my backup plan, which is why I'm looking for places where I could potentially work without mandated covid shots.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I couldnt be happier with the choice I made 4 years ago, and its gotten better every year since.

Its flat, boring, and cold. People form California and New York arent moving here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Montrose, Burlington or Waterloo, IA
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Just moved to TN-a very rural area around 13 miles from a small-ish town (has a Walmart, but only 10k residents.)

House on 16+ acres has $256 annual property taxes, and my take-home went up $444 each month from no state income taxes. Gas is $2.85, plate renewals are $29 annually and our insurance rates were essentially cut in half.

Folks in town are friendly, overwhelmingly conservative and great to be around. At home, any 'neighbor' would have to drive to our place...

If that wasn't enough, I'm about to go test out my new Sig 365 from the back porch. :)

Should have moved sooner.

Larry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top