Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2023 7:03:04 AM EDT
S-4879 , Provides that the legislative body of the county of Westchester shall fix the fee to be charged for a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver and provide for the disposition of such fees, is on the Senate Codes agenda for Monday 5/22 @ 11:00am .

Companion A-5092 .
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#1]
They want to outdo Nassau with its $200 every five years fee
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be calling both of them. They will want us to pay $200 at least. Screw that!
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Next they'll want to charge per firearm owned.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
S-4879 has been Reported.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll be calling both of them. They will want us to pay $200 at least. Screw that!
View Quote
It has been that way since 2000 in Nassau County courtesy of our Republican Legislature, who passed it with Albany's blessing, and our Republican County Executive who signed it. And that is every five years. Problem for the county is they have highly paid police officers doing work that could be done by much lower paid clerks. So they have to charge a lot more to pay those high salaries for what should be a clerical job.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
S-4879 has advanced to 3rd Reading.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
S-4879 has advanced to 3rd Reading.
View Quote

What does this mean? Are we screwed? Only 7 days to go in the session.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless I totally missed something, the fee limitations being placed on the Licenses is a good thing, especially for the NYC crowd that not only gets hammered, but does so every three years.
It's hyper linked above, and not a long or tenuous read, and if I'm wrong, PLEASE show the errors of my way.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Unless I totally missed something, the fee limitations being placed on the Licenses is a good thing, especially for the NYC crowd that not only gets hammered, but does so every three years.
It's hyper linked above, and not a long or tenuous read, and if I'm wrong, PLEASE show the errors of my way.  
View Quote

The fee is currently fixed for the WHOLE STATE at $10. NYC, Nassau, and Suffolk had carved out an exception for themselves, allowing them to charge whatever they want. So they charge hundreds of dollars for PP issuance and renewal. While everyone else pays $10. Now Westchester wants to do the same. So, instead of $10 we will likely end up paying $200, if not more.

It is bad. Bad for poor people. Bad for retired people. Bad for minorities. Bad for middle class. People will be priced out from exercising their Rights.

Bad, Bad, bad.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The fee is currently fixed for the WHOLE STATE at $10. NYC, Nassau, and Suffolk had carved out an exception for themselves, allowing them to charge whatever they want. So they charge hundreds of dollars for PP issuance and renewal. While everyone else pays $10. Now Westchester wants to do the same. So, instead of $10 we will likely end up paying $200, if not more.

It is bad. Bad for poor people. Bad for retired people. Bad for minorities. Bad for middle class. People will be priced out from exercising their Rights.

Bad, Bad, bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Bad, Bad, bad.

Reading the explanation, it says that it costs more to process the licenses/amendments/etc. than they collect, then in the body of the proposed Legislation they cap it at $25.
Perhaps I was too quick to think for just a second that a Democrat actually wanted to do something for gun owners besides fuck them out of their Rights.

14.  Fees. In the city of New York and the [county] COUNTIES of Nassau
AND WESTCHESTER, the annual license fee shall be twenty-five dollars for
gunsmiths and fifty dollars for dealers in firearms. In such  city,  the
city  council and in the [county] COUNTIES of Nassau AND WESTCHESTER the
[Board of Supervisors] LEGISLATIVE BODY OF SUCH COUNTY shall fix the fee
to be charged for a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver  or
to  purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle and provide for
the disposition of such fees. Elsewhere  in  the  state,  the  licensing
officer  shall  collect  and  pay into the county treasury the following
fees: for each license to carry or possess a pistol or  revolver  or  to
purchase  or  take  possession  of  a semiautomatic rifle, not less than
three dollars nor more than ten dollars as  may  be  determined  by  the
legislative  body  of  the  county;  for  each  amendment thereto, three
dollars, and five dollars in the county of Suffolk; and for each license
issued to a gunsmith or dealer in firearms, ten dollars. The fee  for  a
duplicate  license  shall  be  five  dollars.  The  fee for processing a
license transfer between counties shall be five  dollars.  The  fee  for
processing  a  license or renewal thereof for a qualified retired police
officer as defined under subdivision thirty-four of section 1.20 of  the
criminal procedure law, or a qualified retired sheriff, undersheriff, or
deputy  sheriff of the city of New York as defined under subdivision two
of section 2.10 of the criminal procedure law, or  a  qualified  retired...
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Reading the explanation, it says that it costs more to process the licenses/amendments/etc. than they collect, then in the body of the proposed Legislation they cap it at $25.
Perhaps I was too quick to think for just a second that a Democrat actually wanted to do something for gun owners besides fuck them out of their Rights.

View Quote

They do not cap it at $25. That's an annual fee for a gunsmith. For the rest of the poor bastards, "LEGISLATIVE BODY OF SUCH COUNTY shall fix the fee
to be charged for a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver  or
to  purchase or take possession of a semiautomatic rifle and provide for
the disposition of such fees". Meaning that Westchester County Legislature, overwhelmingly Democrat, gets to set the fee at whatever their heart desires. It could be $10,000 for all we know. Screw that!
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sure their ridiculous permit application process costs them more than $10 or $25 or even $200 to complete.

So maybe they should start realizing the application process does nothing to stop criminals, and maybe make it simpler and cheaper? Or scrap it entirely?

It's their choice to spend so much useless time on the process in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm sure their ridiculous permit application process costs them more than $10 or $25 or even $200 to complete.
View Quote
As I noted in post #6 above, when Nassau raised the fee to $200 back in 2000 it was because it costs so much here. Mind you they made the process expensive. Plus rather than having clerks doing clerical work they have highly paid police officers doing it. Somebody has to pay for their time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As I noted in post #6 above, when Nassau raised the fee to $200 back in 2000 it was because it costs so much here. Mind you they made the process expensive. Plus rather than having clerks doing clerical work they have highly paid police officers doing it. Somebody has to pay for their time.
View Quote

Agreed. The process should not be this lengthy or complicated.

But regardless of the costs, they should not be passed down to the citizens. I am sure running an election costs a ton of money. I don't see voters being charged for that. Poll taxes were knocked out a long time ago. Deterring people from exercising their 2nd Amendment Rights by charging high fees is no different from poll taxes.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#16]
S-4879 passed the Senate.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Crap!!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
S-4879 passed the Senate.
View Quote

@nyrkba

Do you think it has a chance of being passed in the Assembly? The last day of the legislative session is a nail biter.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#19]
A-5092 has been Reported.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A-5092 has been Reported.
View Quote

So it's still possible? What time do these fine folks knock off?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Today is the last scheduled day, but I think they might go to tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Today is the last scheduled day, but I think they might go to tomorrow.
View Quote

Keep us posted, please. I am worried.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:42:33 AM EDT
[#23]
The bill passed the Assembly last night and now goes to the Governor.  I expect the county will jack up the cost of a pistol license into the hundreds of dollars at least.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top