Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2021 9:06:31 AM EDT
My father inadvertently let his pistol permit expire last year (Westchester County Permit).

He would like to transfer his last remaining handgun to me (Albany County Permit).

Since it is not on my permit yet, I imagine I need him with me in order to transport the handgun to an FFL.

Since he is elderly and doesn't travel well, would I be able to transport it myself directly to the FFL?

I don't want to jeopardize either myself or, my father... yet I don't see any other way except to have him with me.

Afterwards, he will surrender his license.

He also never had his other handgun removed from his permit after that was transferred to me, I had it amended to my license and took possession of it directly from him.
I gave him a copy of my amendment as a receipt.

Thanks for answers in advanced.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
While the standard OP is to not invite the Man into your Life, or what the respective Counties are like to deal with, however in this case it's compliance:
I would suggest contacting the Licensing Division in Person, explain the situation, and ask how to proceed.
Under un_SAFE the Handguns can be transferred to you without a NICS Check, but some Counties are all uptight about transfers between Counties with seemingly one exception (God Forbid) the death of the Licensee and the executor of the Estate transferring the Pistols within 15 days of death.  Before or after that window opens it's a pain in the ass and usually requires a Handgun Dealer to collect the firearms either at the residence or from Law Enforcement.
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 11:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What about driving to a PA FFL, and shipping it back to yourself in NY to a NY FFL?  This doesn't exactly solve the issue of your father not taking it off his permit correctly, but with an expired permit, that ship has kind of sailed...
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The other issue is that you possessing it long enough to get it out of state, or even to turn it in is a technical violation that could compromise your license.  Turning it in carries a risk of prosecution for the 90 yr old as it's essentially an admission of unlawful possession by someone for a period.  If it becomes a turn-in, they may or may not be cooperative in facilitating a transfer
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I've coordinated with an FFL in Elmsford, NY to dispose of his last handgun (I will accompany him to the establishment).
I discussed that the permit has expired and that doesn't seem to be an issue with the FFL.

Haven't discussed it with the County Clerk yet, I figured the best thing to do is remove it from his possession ASAP, then file the Amendments.

1. I've prepared the amendment to remove his last transfer to me (personal sale) off of his permit as he forgot to do so.
2. I've prepared the Westchester County Amendment (in duplicate) to both dispose (to dealer) of the last remaining handgun and to surrender his permit.

Obviously, he's been having memory/dementia issues... had I known earlier I would have interceded.
He has been hiding this decline very well until recently.

I will write a letter to accompany the Amendments and Surrender.

Forms
Westchester County Clerk
https://www.westchesterclerk.com/services/pistol-permits
Amendment form: https://www.westchesterclerk.com/images/stories/pdf/Pistol/PistolLicenseAmendment.pdf

Westchester Public Safety - Pistol Licensing Unit
https://publicsafety.westchestergov.com/about-us/pistol-license-unit

Affidavit for Private Sale: https://publicsafety.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/2018wcpdPrivSaleAffidavit.pdf
Authorization of Release of Information: https://publicsafety.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/2019releaseinfo.pdf

It would be pretty shitty if they choose to jam him on this, considering dementia and COVID.

Thanks everybody for the responses.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 5:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've coordinated with an FFL in Elmsford, NY to dispose of his last handgun (I will accompany him to the establishment).
I discussed that the permit has expired and that doesn't seem to be an issue with the FFL.

View Quote

They deal with that stuff a lot in counties with permits having expiration dates.

Sounds like Blue Line as well.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:10:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, the dispose to and transfer to my permit will be handled by Blue Line Tactical.
Not being familiar with them, hopefully they are reputable. I haven't lived in Westchester since 1984.

In the late 70's I used to work at the Gunstore owned by Thomas D. Robinson - Male-Town.
I lived in Tarrytown during that period.

If that falls through, I will have to transport the handgun to Salt Point, Safari Outfitters.
I believe my father can make it that far.

Thank you to all that responded.

All the best
Billy
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
All went well, the County Clerk's staff was very understanding and helpful... the paperwork was drawn up according to their recommendations and will be submitted.
He has no firearms in his possession at this point.

BlueLine Staff were very helpful, my amendment will take about 3 weeks from Albany County.

Thanks to all who replied.

All the best
Billy
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#8]
glad it worked out..

sad what you have to do in ny for a right...
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
glad it worked out..

sad what you have to do in ny for a right...
View Quote
So true and it gets worse the further south you get in this state

Honestly, I do not think much will change if SCOTUS sides with NYSRPA in its case coming up this fall. I am still convinced the state can make it is as hard and time consuming as they want with the only difference being that after six or more months waiting, they will HAVE TO issue it. But I cannot see the foot dragging to ultimately reach that permit changing. I've been living here too long to think New York will simply acquiesce to a ruling they disagree with. DC didn't either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Christ three weeks for an ammendment? What a joke this state is.  I'm glad my county clerks office will do them on the spot.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Christ three weeks for an ammendment? What a joke this state is.  I'm glad my county clerks office will do them on the spot.
View Quote

mine too. For all of Erie's liberalism the pistol permit office is actually decent to deal with. Probably as good as can be expected due to state law
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top