Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2021 5:29:31 PM EDT
Looks like an offer for employment is pending.

Job is in Memphis and definitely don't want to live in the immediate area. Any decent areas (under 275k) that are worth looking into under 45mins drive away?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends which particular part of Memphis.

This town has a weird layout when at one specific location it's easy peasy, and another spot 2 blocks away....Mogadishu with no obvious way out.

However, based on both the 45 min commute AND 275K home, you might find something in the outskirts of Bartlett and Arlington.

Some other options beyond the city proper could be Germantown and Collierville.  But significantly more expensive.

But going back to what I said about where in Memphis...if you are going to be in south side of 240, then you may really dig Olive Branch, MS.

Happy to take offline if you need some help. I'm in Bartlett, busy trying to find a scientific job without having to go into the sketch areas.

GL
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I see some decent stuff in Shelby County but is that basically like being under the same rule of Memphis? This county mayor stuff is new to me lol.

I like areas of Mississippi but the damn yearly vehicle taxes and income tax worry me.

ETA: jobs in East Memphis. Looked at Atoka? Like 35 mins. Accurate?

I think we are going to head down for a few days next week to see the areas but wanted to narrow the search a bit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
What part of Memphis?

East Memphis is nice. Kind of a hot house market now, so you'll pay a bit of a premium.

Most areas between Summer and Park are good. edit: Stay out of Orange Mound

Downtown has a nice condo market. I dont much other than it is nicer these days. Lots of food joints and bars.

Outside Memphis proper, all within 45 min of midtown:

North - Titpton county, Atoka, Munford.

East - Arlington, Fayette county, Collierville, Germantown is nice but hard to find a house under $300k

South - Southaven, Olive branch

Downtown - Marion AR might be ok, but i'd go Tipton county or Southaven.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have school aged kids?

Schools in Bartlett, Germantown, Collierville, Arlington are good. Fayette county might require a private school for high school, ok 1-9. Tipton county has good schools.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Shelby Co is not too bad. At least you do not have to pay city taxes. Own anything downtown and have to pay both :(

I don't know to much about Atoka, or Millinton up in Tipton.

To be honest, there isn't much there, and unfortunately, likely require commuting THROUGH some really bad north Memphis hoods to get where you are going.

That's why I try to get folks to look at the eastern part of the city, so at least you can stay close to the main thoroughfare such at Poplar, Walnut Grove. I40

Come to think of it, Lakeland is pretty nice. You get significant distance from the city, and then have woods, lakes, a fireworks store, 10 minutes from 2 gun ranges. right off I40...so a strait shot to basically anywhere FAST.

And if you need to do some shopping, banking, visiting, etc...no sketch to travel through.

Like I say, depends on where your work/office is going to be.

Peek at Lakeland :)
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
No young kids.

Just wife and I.

I'm retired, job is hers.

Job is in East Memphis High Point Terrace area.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#7]
High Point is a great area. Very hot house market there. If you can find a lot or newer house there, jump on it.

Just north past Summer Ave., it can get rough quick. Always carry in Memphis.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a very centralized job right on the best arteries for travel.

Confirming north of Summer - watch out lol

Lots of cool places in east mem if you want to live there...just remember, if you buy in the city you pay BOTH city and county taxes. Ask me how I know :'(

Also, be careful, some places you will have an awesome little subdivision, but accidentally turn right instead of left one evening, and you will be IN THE HOOD.

Visit the town, lots of cool places, you two may find you dig the vibe of midtown, etc. Folks on the whole are friendly.

Like anyplace though...keep your head on swivel, utilize CCW, and you will be fine.

BTW, good timing with the weather changing.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I was born here grew up in Whitehaven, 60’s-70’s live in Collierville now.  Memphis can be rough, just pay attention and carry. I’d move in a heartbeat but all my kids and grandkids are here within 5 miles of me. So I’m dying here. I’d recommend not being in the city limits. We have good roads and you can be anywhere in Shelby county in 30 min. All in all there are worse places.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:46:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Appreciate all the help so far.

Looking forward to spending a few days in the area next week scoping it out.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Elroy's Shack is a great local food joint. You park in the Lowes parking lot. They have good BBQ and great fish tacos.

If you like authentic Mexican, La Guadalupana on Summer is great.

In east Memphis, Gus's Chicken is great and Gibson's donuts.

The Square party district (Madison at Cooper), and the Cooper Young district (Cooper at Peabody Ave) have some good food.

Those places are not black tie. I'll let others suggest nice places.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Elroy's Shack is a great local food joint. You park in the Lowes parking lot. They have good BBQ and great fish tacos.

If you like authentic Mexican, La Guadalupana on Summer is great.

In east Memphis, Gus's Chicken is great and Gibson's donuts.

The Square party district (Madison at Cooper), and the Cooper Young district (Cooper at Peabody Ave) have some good food.

Those places are not black tie. I'll let others suggest nice places.

View Quote
. Ate lunch at Elroys today!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#13]
We just moved to Olive Branch and like it. Good schools if you have children as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome, if you make it here.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#15]
We live in Shelby county, just North of Millington. I work in downtown Memphis, 25 minute commute. We like Millington. Arlington, Atoka, Munford are all nice areas too.  Everywhere had their pockets of trouble though.  Arlington has a good school system, consequently the property taxes are higher.  Lots of Memphis Police and Fire department personnel live there though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:09:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Is there a good amount of new builds in the area?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a good amount of new builds in the area?
View Quote

In Memphis proper there are a lot of re-models like east Memphis and in the more in demand areas there are a lot of tear downs and build much bigger, like High Point.

Most burbs have a good inventory of new builds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I moved to Bartlett from the High Point area. Don't miss it a bit. We're out in the Old Brownsville/Hwy14 area and the only loud noises are dogs barking. There are some nicer areas in Memphis, but the city property tax is a joke. If you're not contract bound to live in Shelby County I would DEFINITELY look into Desoto, Tipton or Fayette counties. If you HAVE to live in Shelby County, Bartlett, Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland and Arlington are a better bet because the city taxes there are lower (for now) and there's less "Hood rat shit" to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:23:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Here now.

Wife ended up passing on the job but may have another offer in Cordova at the end of the month.

Hoo Lee fuck is crazy busy around here and definitely some questionable areas as well, guess I've been in the Shenandoah Valley too long lol.

Houses are going to contingent or pending within hours...never seen anything like it.

Definitely going to be on the outside of Shelby County if we decide to move here.

Thanks for the help.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top