Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2018 12:15:02 PM EDT
I have a shotgun I repaired (I am an FFL) for a friend as a favor.

It is a project he couldn't complete he was doing for a friend of his in West Sunbury.  
By law I can only ship it back to him.   As he is in a different state than PA, he will have to ship it to an FFL to get it 'home'.

If I send directly to the FFL, we cut out a step.

I am also in PA, but West Sunbury is over four hours drive from my location.

So if you know of a trustworthy FFL in the area could you post or PM me an email address or phone number??

Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I know of Sportsman's Supply in Butler if that helps. I haven't dealt with them in recent years, but they were always fine when I did.

Somebody else may chime in with a better option, but here.

http://www.sportsmanssupplyco.com/
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
JK,

Thank you for the link.
About 30 minutes from the owner of the shotgun.

Will call him on Monday and see if that is close enough for him.  
I know is he is 'elderly', so not sure how far he will travel.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd call Logan's Gun Gallery in North Washington. It's only maybe 10 minutes from West Sunbury. It's a small shop, but staffed all week. Very friendly owner, at least always has been with me.

I've had some bad experiences with Sportsman's Supply. I go in there on occasion to look around, but I've seen and had enough issues that I avoid it if possible.

ETA: Didn't think he'd have a website, but apparently he does. He's really moving up in the world.

http://logansgungallery.com/

ETA2: There's also a shop in Harrisville that would be an easy drive for him from West Sunbury, National Armory. Used to be Gun World. I'm not that familiar with the new owners or how they are, but worth a shot if Logan's didn't work out for some reason.

http://www.national-armory.com/
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd call Logan's Gun Gallery in North Washington. It's only maybe 10 minutes from West Sunbury. It's a small shop, but staffed all week. Very friendly owner, at least always has been with me.

ETA: Didn't think he'd have a website, but apparently he does. He's really moving up in the world.

http://logansgungallery.com/
View Quote
I thought the name sounded familiar and the pictures confirmed it.
I attend a good number of firearms auctions.  A collector friend attends many with me and when we have been out in western PA Logan's is on his list of places to visit.

Thank you for the heads up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Nicholas George Snyder
Snyder X Guns
104 PRY RD
West Sunbury, PA 16061
(724) 679-1167 (Phone)

Hallston Custom Machining
Licensee Name: Vincent, John Elmer
248 Hallston Rd
Slippery Rock, PA 16057
Phone: 724-794-2578
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d recommend one of the other options and not sportsman’s supply.

Just haven’t had great experiences ther, and have heard from many others with similar experiences.  Admittedly, though, I’ve only been in there once in the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd recommend one of the other options and not sportsman's supply.

Just haven't had great experiences ther, and have heard from many others with similar experiences.  Admittedly, though, I've only been in there once in the last 10 years.
View Quote
Sportsmans is not anyone's go to.  They have a reputation of being...difficult.

I've not bought from these guys but they seem decent in dropping in while on the hunt for good deals.
National Armory
429 S Main St, Harrisville, PA 16038
Phone: (724) 735-6888
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
watch your speed driving through hooterville (Harrisville).   Speed trap town.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've not bought from these guys but they seem decent in dropping in while on the hunt for good deals.
National Armory
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd recommend one of the other options and not sportsman's supply.

Just haven't had great experiences ther, and have heard from many others with similar experiences.  Admittedly, though, I've only been in there once in the last 10 years.

National Armory
It's been a while since I've had any dealings with them. Last time I purchased a gun from them was in 2008. I've heard from more than a few that they've dropped off over the years. Sad to hear.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's been a while since I've had any dealings with them. Last time I purchased a gun from them was in 2008. I've heard from more than a few that they've dropped off over the years. Sad to hear.
View Quote
I used to buy stuff in there, but they just seem to have a tendency to hire assholes. The two exceptions I can think of would be Ken who worked there a long time ago, don't remember when he left, and Curt, the guy with the big beard. Curt worked at McCreas in Fenelton before that; I really miss that shop.

But yeah, the rest of the staff I've never found to be knowledgeable, and some of them really worked hard to piss me off. They just weren't professional.

Worst I ever witnessed in there, I once saw a guy behind the counter demonstrate a laser grip mounted on a revolver by pointing it at the back of a guy across the room. Not sure if he knew the guy across the room or not, but it doesn't matter. That was a long time ago, probably a good ten years ago now. No idea if that guy still works there, it wasn't one of the long time faces.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
IMO, Fenelton Firearms has the best service around. A great shop to have online purchases sent to.

Curt of McCreas and SS now owns Curt’s Blackpowder Shop on old rt 422 I think. I havet been out but I guess he has his FFL and sells more than just muzzleloaders.

SS has the best selection and prices for years, but as a trade off you had to put up with poor service and pompous asshole employees, sure you could go elsewhere but you’d pay probably 25% more elsewhere locally, and good chance it wouldn’t be in stock - this was back in the pre internet days.
I seldom went in there but after Sandy Hook they started selling ammo and other things to the highest bidder on Gunbroker. If you went in the store and wanted to buy a case of ammo, they say go bid on it and refuse to sell to you right there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all.
Ended up shipping the shotgun to Logan's.

As far as I know the owner picked it up.
Haven't heard from anyone, which is fine.   No word is good word!

Picture of gun to wind up this thread.

Fitted a new buttstock.
Fitted a new(used) trigger plate and triggers.
Refinished forend to match new stock.
Made four new screws
Misc.

Admittedly an old Stevens typically wouldn't justify this kind of time and work but it is a family heirloom and the work was for a friend.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top