Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2018 7:44:30 PM EDT
The Secretary of State has released that proposed ballot title and statements for the "Assault Weapon" criminalization ballot measure.  You can find it here:  IP-43 Proposed Ballot Title and statements  Those who wish to comment have until May 8 to send their comments to the Secretary of State -- note that any comments received will be public information.  The ways to comment are included in the letter.

Also note that the number of words in each element is specified -- you can see the criteria here on page 9: State Iniative and Referendum Manual  In summary they are as follows:

Requirements
A ballot title includes:
a caption that does not exceed 15 words describing the subject of the petition
a statement that does not exceed 25 words describing the result if the petition is passed;
a statement that does not exceed 25 words describing the result if the petition is rejected; and
a summary that does not exceed 125 words describing the major effect of the petition.

Any new title or statement will have to conform to these requirements.

I am sure that OFF will be sending out some thoughts and perhaps helpful hints on this process soon.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:08:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I wundr what they mean by "certain" semiautomatic rifles and pistols with detachable magazines? Is the Ruger mini14, 10/22 and Remington 7400 going to be assault weapons?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wundr what they mean by "certain" semiautomatic rifles and pistols with detachable magazines? Is the Ruger mini14, 10/22 and Remington 7400 going to be assault weapons?
View Quote
Yes these certainly will be.  We need to get the word out -- essentially ALL semi automatic rimfire and centerfire rifles with a detachable magazine (of ANY size) WILL become an "Assault Weapon." As will many semi automatic rimfire and centerfire pistols.   You will have to get rid of it, give it to the police, or register it as an assault weapon within 120 days.  Then you will only be able to possess the assault weapon on your property, at a range, or a FFL.  No taking your 10/22 to the woods to shoot if this thing passes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump.
Go to OFFs website folks to keep an eye on this
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you need a bit of guidance on how to object, take a look here:

https://or-firearms-info.com/index.php/objecting-ballot-measure-title
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Do we have any examples to see how these response's should look?
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a copy of the comment I sent last Friday.  That said, I think that a much much simpler comment would work just as well without all the words I put into mine.

"April 27, 2018

The Honorable Dennis Richardson
Secretary of State
Elections Division
255 Capitol Street NE, Ste. 501
Salem, OR 97310-0722

Re: Public Comment on Initiative Petition 43 (2018)

Dear Secretary Richardson:

I write as a registered Oregon voter and am providing the following comments on the draft ballot title for Initiative Petition 2018-43 (IP-43).
The Attorney General has proposed the following summary as part of the ballot title for IP-43:

Summary:
Measure criminalizes possession or transfer of “assault weapons” (defined)/ “large capacity magazines” (defined) except for military/ law enforcement purposes, or persons authorized by State Police after criminal background check. Otherwise possession or transfer is a Class B felony. Within 120 days, persons lawfully owning such weapons or magazines must remove from Oregon, lawfully sell, surrender to law enforcement, render inoperable, or register items with State Police. Applies to inherited items. Bars moving covered items into Oregon. Assault weapons include certain semiautomatic rifles or pistols with a detachable magazine; pistol or rifles with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition; certain semiautomatic shotguns. Large capacity magazine is ammunition feeding device with capacity of more than ten rounds. Effective January 1, 2019. Other provisions.

The draft summary does not comply with ORS 250.035 (2)(d) for the reasons discussed below.

Section 3. (1)(a)(A)(iv) of IP-43 provides that:

(1)(a) “Assault weapon” means any:

(A) Semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:

(iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel.

Virtually all rifles of any action type including semiautomatic rifles have a means that allows the “bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned.”  Normally this part is referred to as part of the rifle stock.  This means that all semiautomatic rifles with a detachable magazine and a rifle stock would become “assault weapons” since all rifles have a stock that would allow the “bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned.”   The last phrase of Section 3. (1)(a)(A)(iv) of IP-43 “but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel” is without any clear meaning since a “slide” is a feature found on semiautomatic pistols not rifles and further that on such pistols it moves rapidly with every shot, can get hot, and thus the bearer would not be able to hold it with the non-trigger hand.

Thus the wording of IP-43 Section 3. (1)(a)(A)(iv) would designate all semiautomatic rifles with a detachable magazine as “assault weapons”.  The draft Summary statement should be modified to reflect this reality.

I respectfully suggest the following:

Summary:
Measure criminalizes possession or transfer of “assault weapons” (defined)/ “large capacity magazines” (defined) except for military/ law enforcement purposes, or persons authorized by State Police after criminal background check. Otherwise possession or transfer is a Class B felony. Within 120 days, persons lawfully owning such weapons or magazines must remove from Oregon, lawfully sell, surrender to law enforcement, render inoperable, or register items with State Police. Applies to inherited items. Bars moving covered items into Oregon. Assault weapons include certain all semiautomatic rifles, many semiautomatic pistols with a detachable magazine; pistol or rifles with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition; certain semiautomatic shotguns. Large capacity magazine is ammunition feeding device with capacity of more than ten rounds. Effective January 1, 2019. Other provisions.

I have highlighted the proposed changes that change the word “certain” to “all” add a comma and the word “many” and delete the word “a” in that same sentence. The changes I propose appear to have no net change in the number of words in the Summary.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

David Brown"

What is important is that you get the signed comment to the SoS by COB 8 May via US Mail, FAX, or by email.  You will need to include contact information (your address, or FAX back number, or your email) so they can contact you to verify or other communication.

Also, I do not think it is necessary to provide a draft of what you would like the draft ballot title to say.  Remember that your comment will become part of the public record.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here is a copy of the comment I sent last Friday.  That said, I think that a much much simpler comment would work just as well without all the words I put into mine.

"April 27, 2018

Secretary of State
Elections Division
Salem, OR 97310-0722

I write as a registered Oregon voter and am providing the following comments on the draft ballot title for Initiative Petition 2018-43 (IP-43).
The Attorney General has proposed the following summary as part of the ballot title for IP-43:

Summary:
Measure criminalizes possession or transfer of "assault weapons" (defined)/ "large capacity magazines" (defined) except for military/ law enforcement purposes, or persons authorized by State Police after criminal background check. Otherwise possession or transfer is a Class B felony. Within 120 days, persons lawfully owning such weapons or magazines must remove from Oregon, lawfully sell, surrender to law enforcement, render inoperable, or register items with State Police. Applies to inherited items. Bars moving covered items into Oregon. Assault weapons include certain semiautomatic rifles or pistols with a detachable magazine; pistol or rifles with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition; certain semiautomatic shotguns. Large capacity magazine is ammunition feeding device with capacity of more than ten rounds. Effective January 1, 2019. Other provisions.

The draft summary does not comply with ORS 250.035 (2)(d) for the reasons discussed below.

(1)(a) "Assault weapon" means any:

(A) Semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following:

(iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel.

Virtually all rifles of any action type including semiautomatic rifles have a means that allows the "bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned."  Normally this part is referred to as part of the rifle stock.  This means that all semiautomatic rifles with a detachable magazine and a rifle stock would become "assault weapons" since all rifles have a stock that would allow the "bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned."   The last phrase of Section 3. (1)(a)(A)(iv) of IP-43 "but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel" is without any clear meaning since a "slide" is a feature found on semiautomatic pistols not rifles and further that on such pistols it moves rapidly with every shot, can get hot, and thus the bearer would not be able to hold it with the non-trigger hand.

Thus the wording of IP-43 Section 3. (1)(a)(A)(iv) would designate all semiautomatic rifles with a detachable magazine as "assault weapons".  The draft Summary statement should be modified to reflect this reality.

Summary:
Measure criminalizes possession or transfer of "assault weapons" (defined)/ "large capacity magazines" (defined) except for military/ law enforcement purposes, or persons authorized by State Police after criminal background check. Otherwise possession or transfer is a Class B felony. Within 120 days, persons lawfully owning such weapons or magazines must remove from Oregon, lawfully sell, surrender to law enforcement, render inoperable, or register items with State Police. Applies to inherited items. Bars moving covered items into Oregon. Assault weapons include certain all semiautomatic rifles, many semiautomatic pistols with a detachable magazine; pistol or rifles with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition; certain semiautomatic shotguns. Large capacity magazine is ammunition feeding device with capacity of more than ten rounds. Effective January 1, 2019. Other provisions.

I have highlighted the proposed changes that change the word "certain" to "all" add a comma and the word "many" and delete the word "a" in that same sentence. The changes I propose appear to have no net change in the number of words in the Summary.

Sincerely,

David Brown"

What is important is that you get the signed comment to the SoS by COB 8 May via US Mail, FAX, or by email.  You will need to include contact information (your address, or FAX back number, or your email) so they can contact you to verify or other communication.

Also, I do not think it is necessary to provide a draft of what you would like the draft ballot title to say.  Remember that your comment will become part of the public record.
View Quote
Very well done!  I am sending my version of this.

ETA:

I commented on the draft ballot title and the statement regarding the result of a "Yes" vote as well:

I am a registered Oregon voter and am offering the following comments on the draft ballot title and summary for Initiative Petition 2018-43 (IP-43).

Oregon's Attorney General has proposed the following draft ballot title for IP-43:    "Criminalizes possession or transfer of "assault weapons" (defined) or "large capacity magazines" (defined), with exceptions."

Based on the definitions laid out in all of Section 3 of proposed Measure 43, this title is not only incomplete, it is intentionally misleading.  This proposed measure would criminalize possession of nearly all firearms in Oregon, and the draft ballot title should be modified to reflect this reality.

The title for IP-43 should actually read:  "Criminalizes possession or transfer of law-abiding Oregonians' most commonly owned firearms and standard capacity magazines."

The statement regarding the result of "Yes" vote currently reads:  "Yes" vote criminalizes possession/ transfer of "assault weapons" (defined)/ "large capacity magazines" (defined), with exceptions for military/ police/ registered owner approved by State Police."

Likewise, the statement regarding the result of a "Yes" vote is also misleading.  It should actually read:  "Yes" vote criminalizes possession/transfer of law-abiding Oregonians' legally and most commonly owned firearms and magazines. Mandatory registration, surrender, or confiscation.  Police/military exempted.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent them this, but was not aware of the requirement that it be signed.

"Good Afternoon,

I have read the proposed title for Initiative Petition 2018-043. I do not believe this draft title sufficiently describes the effects which support of this measure would create, specifically the parenthetical references to "(Defined)". As this proposed ballot measure both defines the item and then restricts it, referring to an item which at the time of the vote does not exist seems vague at best and misleading at worst. Describing the items affected at the time of the vote rather than after the vote would be the only way to accurately describe the proposed effects of this proposed measure. I would suggest something along the lines of the following:

Proposed Initiative Petition - Criminalizes Possession or Transfer of Semi-Automatic Firearms and Magazines (With Exceptions).

The above suggested title explains EXACTLY what this proposed ballot measure attempts to achieve.

Thank you,

crazytuco"
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I sent them this, but was not aware of the requirement that it be signed.

"Good Afternoon,

I have read the proposed title for Initiative Petition 2018-043. I do not believe this draft title sufficiently describes the effects which support of this measure would create, specifically the parenthetical references to "(Defined)". As this proposed ballot measure both defines the item and then restricts it, referring to an item which at the time of the vote does not exist seems vague at best and misleading at worst. Describing the items affected at the time of the vote rather than after the vote would be the only way to accurately describe the proposed effects of this proposed measure. I would suggest something along the lines of the following:

Proposed Initiative Petition - Criminalizes Possession or Transfer of Semi-Automatic Firearms and Magazines (With Exceptions).

The above suggested title explains EXACTLY what this proposed ballot measure attempts to achieve.

Thank you,

crazytuco"
View Quote
Yes, it must be signed or they will disregard it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"April 27, 2018

Secretary of State
Elections Division
Salem, OR 97310-0722

Summary:
Measure criminalizes possession or transfer of “assault weapons” (defined)/ “large capacity magazines” (defined) except for military/ law enforcement purposes, or persons authorized by State Police after criminal background check. Otherwise possession or transfer is a Class B felony. Within 120 days, persons lawfully owning such weapons or magazines must remove from Oregon, lawfully sell, surrender to law enforcement, render inoperable, or register items with State Police. Applies to inherited items. Bars moving covered items into Oregon. Assault weapons include certain semiautomatic rifles or pistols with a detachable magazine; pistol or rifles with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition; certain semiautomatic shotguns. Large capacity magazine is ammunition feeding device with capacity of more than ten rounds. Effective January 1, 2019. Other provisions.

(1)(a) “Assault weapon” means any:

Virtually all rifles of any action type including semiautomatic rifles have a means that allows the “bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned.”  Normally this part is referred to as part of the rifle stock.  This means that all semiautomatic rifles with a detachable magazine and a rifle stock would become “assault weapons” since all rifles have a stock that would allow the “bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned.”   The last phrase of Section 3. (1)(a)(A)(iv) of IP-43 “but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel” is without any clear meaning since a “slide” is a feature found on semiautomatic pistols not rifles and further that on such pistols it moves rapidly with every shot, can get hot, and thus the bearer would not be able to hold it with the non-trigger hand.

Thus the wording of IP-43 Section 3. (1)(a)(A)(iv) would designate all semiautomatic rifles with a detachable magazine as “assault weapons”.  The draft Summary statement should be modified to reflect this reality.

Summary:
Measure criminalizes possession or transfer of “assault weapons” (defined)/ “large capacity magazines” (defined) except for military/ law enforcement purposes, or persons authorized by State Police after criminal background check. Otherwise possession or transfer is a Class B felony. Within 120 days, persons lawfully owning such weapons or magazines must remove from Oregon, lawfully sell, surrender to law enforcement, render inoperable, or register items with State Police. Applies to inherited items. Bars moving covered items into Oregon. Assault weapons include certain all semiautomatic rifles, many semiautomatic pistols with a detachable magazine; pistol or rifles with a fixed magazine holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition; certain semiautomatic shotguns. Large capacity magazine is ammunition feeding device with capacity of more than ten rounds. Effective January 1, 2019. Other provisions.

I have highlighted the proposed changes that change the word “certain” to “all” add a comma and the word “many” and delete the word “a” in that same sentence. The changes I propose appear to have no net change in the number of words in the Summary.

Sincerely,

David Brown"

View Quote
Where did you find that definition? I want to see the entire list of features.
ETA: by that definition definitely even Ruger 10-22s and minis will be assault weapons.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Sent my objections in.  Only three more days!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Sent comments in as well.  3 separate comments (Title, Description, "yes" Vote Statement) in 3 separate e-mails, all signed-and-scanned.  Preparing some IP44 comments now.

I don't know how much good all this will do but every little bit helps I guess.  Also sent another $100 to OFF.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:33:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Where did you find that definition? I want to see the entire list of features.
ETA: by that definition definitely even Ruger 10-22s and minis will be assault weapons.
View Quote
You are correct.  The Ruger 10-22's, Marlins, Remington Nylons and MANY other rimfire rifles will be designated "assault weapons." This will be a direct result if IP43 makes the ballot and gets passed.

In IP-43 it says:

"(1)(a) “Assault weapon” means any:
(i) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;
(ii) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(iii) A folding or telescoping stock;
(iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;
(v) A forward pistol grip;
(vi) A flash suppressor, muzzle brake, muzzle compensator, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, muzzle brake, or muzzle compensator;
(vii) A bayonet mount; or
(viii) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;"

So a Ruger rimfire 10-22 "has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following: .... (iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;"  Note that a normal stock "partially ... encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned."  So there we are -- they will make essentially ALL semiautomatic rifles into "assault weapons"
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
43 is dead.  They'll be back.

IP-43 is dead
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top