BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2018 4:55:25 PM EDT
deleted
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Rauner also signed a law Monday extending a 72-hour waiting period for all guns, not just handguns.

Rauner also signed a law Monday extending a 72-hour waiting period for all guns, not just handguns. He says plans to veto a gun-dealer licensing bill that he says is burdened by red tape.

The bills are HB2354 , SB3256 , and SB337 .
View Quote
But you list your location as Wisconsin?

Joking aside, it appears this will become effective 1/1/2019
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 6:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
*delete*
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#3]
For the record, I favor Constitutional Carry ...

But as a realist, we already have the FOID law, so perhaps this is better than that 'dealer bill' which IIRC created a de facto registry, right?

If yes, perhaps this gets Rauner an intact veto for the dealer bill?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
We were at the bill signing yesterday and wholeheartedly support all the Governor's actions on guns so far.

The waiting period bill originally had language containing a very broad description of an assault weapons.  It was the Democrat's attempt to get the definition in law so it could be used for future banning purposes.  The Governor stripped that language out and made it for all guns which ensures they won't try to over-ride it.  If he had vetoed this bill, he would have been overridden and the original bill would be law.  It came to his desk with a veto-proof majority. This bill would be law either way.  This way we stopped the Democrat plan.

We are willing to have a serious discussion on these issues but, not enjoying the unsupported accusations that are being tossed about.

Anything that weakens this Governor's chances to get re-elected is a blow to gun rights as either Rauner or Pritzker will be Governor.  If Madigan's Pritzker gets in, we are going to be like New Jersey!

P.S. At the presser yesterday, Governor Rauner announced the Gun Dealer Licensing Bill was DOA on his desk when they deliver it.  We have discussed this bill with him and are certain he will do it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 12:48:04 AM EDT
[#5]
It's sad, but the Gov. just doesn't understand a lot of the issues.  This isn't rocket science.
A new 72hr. waiting period for all firearms will effectively kill all sales of guns at gun shows in IL, not that there are many anyway.  Not one life will be saved.
The current wait periods pretty much have made it difficult to sell at a show.

The scenario:   A dealer travels 50 miles from the north to sell at a weekend gun show, and a buyer travels 50 miles from the south to attend the show.
The buyer has finally found his "holy grail" used firearm from the dealer at the show.
The buyer purchases, & after the background check is done at the show, will now have to go home and wait three days.
The buyer will then have to travel 100 miles one way to get his firearm at the dealer's place of business, and 100 miles back to his home afterwards.
If the governor can't understand something like that, we are in real trouble in this state, even with an (R) in the governor's mansion.
In most other states, (with lower crime rates, btw), the buyer would be walking out with his gun the same day, and be happy as one can be.
The only people laughing, (at people like Bruce Rauner), are Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Crook Co. board President Toni Preckwinkle, Sen. Harmon, Senate President Cullerton, House Speaker Madigan, and all the Chicago, and Chicago area House and Senate DemocRATS.
A sad day for all law-abiding IL gun owners, no matter how anyone, including the ISRA try to spin it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Its not about the gov not understanding gun shows.

The original 72 hr waiting period bill I think may have included removal of state preemption unless I have it confused with another bill.   It also was targeting waiting 72 hours for assault weapons and would have introduced and codified into state law for the first time an official definition of assault weapons (you know how impossible that is to define without encompassing huge numbers of semi automatics) which would potentially be bad for future legislation filed.

Any purchases I ever made at a gun show, I think I have always waited until the next show to pick up as it wasnt worth travel mid week to the sellers location.   Do I support this or think it will make a difference saving lives?  No.   But is this a better law than the original which I believe had a veto override majority? Yes.

As much as I wish we and the governor could be absolutists, I believe we also have to look at the long game.

At least Rauner has had conversations with the pro gun community. Dont believe you are going to get that if JBP gets elected.   If you cant support Rauner for getting elected what kind of laws do you think JBP is going to be signing?

Does the FOID and 3 day wait still make sense in this day and age of electronic communication and federal databases? No.   Did any of the FOID repeal bills make it to committee?   No

The 2.3M FOID holders need to work on getting Rauner elected and the Pro 2A Reps and Senators to the ILGA for the new session starting in January.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll state it again.  Had the governor not signed this into law, he would have been crucified in Cook County where he has to pull a certain percentage of votes in order to get re-elected.  He managed to remove the definition of "assault rifles" which is huge.  Is law goofy?....YES..  However, had he vetoed it, they easily had the numbers to over ride his veto and it would become law with the original language.
So, it is good that he got the bad language out of it and hopefully he can garner some Northern votes.  This bill is a product of Madigan and the Democrats.  The governor did what he could for us.

No Rauner = Pritzker!
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:37:58 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks Swan  :)
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you Swan....most of us know you do what others won't and you do it well
Thanks from me anyways.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#10]
It is nice to hear that.
There were no "deals" made...
We worked with the NRA every step of the way and they understood what was at stake.
Madigan put the Governor in a bad place on purpose.  We went for the least damage with the most gain.  Bills that would have been law containing things that would have been horrible without his intervention were going to happen no matter what.  It is hard to get that point across.  And, the fact that he has killed the Dealer Licensing bill twice seems to be ignored.  There is a group out there that is seeking relevance.  They attack Valinda & myself constantly.  It is what they do and we know that.  We just hate it that by bashing us and the Rauner they help Pritzker. We just keep doing what we do.  I think that anyone that has followed us know who and what we are.
If Pritzker is governor, I will guarantee laws like these will seem insignificant.  Assault weapons bans will be guaranteed.
Again...thanks
Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top