Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2020 12:11:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
We've got one more member with a HAM license as of this morning.

Link Posted: 9/18/2020 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey all,

My apologies for being in the dark about recent happenings. I've been away for the last couple of weeks for some personal reasons that I don't want to drag onto arfcom.

Anyone care to shoot me more info about the event in montana on protonmail?

It's [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey all,

My apologies for being in the dark about recent happenings. I've been away for the last couple of weeks for some personal reasons that I don't want to drag onto arfcom.

It's [email protected]
View Quote

Sent
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey all,

It's [email protected]
View Quote

@SkilletsUSMC, I hope you're feeling better!!! It was great to meet you, hopefully ya'll can join again next time!
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Land Navigation Exercise:

Western WA Chapter is conducting a land navigation exercise Sunday, December 20th in Everett WA.

Check in is 0745 (7:45 am).   Course should last until around 1000 (10 am).

The exercise will cover the fundamentals of military based land navigation, such as:

Reading military style maps

Using the MGRS and plotting points

Using a compass to determine azimuths

Terrain association.  The use of collecting and catching features

Using back azimuths and offsetting

How to conduct a resection and an intersection

PM me for additional details.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If any of you guys are active in Eastern WA, please @ me for upcoming events. I've tried to muster my area of North Idaho, ~CDA, but I haven't gotten much traction.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If any of you guys are active in Eastern WA, please @ me for upcoming events. I've tried to muster my area of North Idaho, ~CDA, but I haven't gotten much traction.
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ditto. In between Wenatchee and Spokane, I do more hiking than shooting nowadays though. Would be up for a meetup.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ditto. In between Wenatchee and Spokane, I do more hiking than shooting nowadays though. Would be up for a meetup.
View Quote

Our next Western WA event is at the end of Jan.  If we can get a quorum we can put something together on the East Side in Feb or March.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Saturday 23 Jan, 2021, we will hold our next Western WA APC hike.

This will take place in the foothills on the east side of King County.

Meeting time will be early: 15 minutes before Sunrise.

Event will consist of a hike- 3 to 6 miles depending on capabilities and APC qual requirements.

After the hike we will do land navigation practical application exercises and knot tying to prep for May.

This would be close to an all day event.

PM me for more details if you interested.

You can also send me an email at:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I recommend you take a more active role, host an event, contact people. My initial entry into APC threads consisted of selfies where I was hiking alone.

Refer to my sigline.
View Quote

I'll definitely consider it after my knee surgery.
Rucking through ankle deep snow on mountains is a bad idea, FYI.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:29:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170924/Snowshoes-1758062.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170924/Skis-1758063.jpg

Every day you don't train, your opponent does. And when you meet, he will beat you
View Quote

You need a bigger truck so you can cube that one out too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Western WA crew did another 6 miler today:  3 new members made their first qual hike.

We're up to a squad reinforced.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a nephew in the greater Seattle area who is interested in APC.  Would you mind tagging me next time you have a hike coming up so I can help him connect with you guys?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got a nephew in the greater Seattle area who is interested in APC.  Would you mind tagging me next time you have a hike coming up so I can help him connect with you guys?
View Quote

@Lurk-king

We are hiking this Saturday morning just east of Seattle.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Reminder:

Saturday 23 Jan, 2021, we will hold our next Western WA APC hike.

This will take place in the foothills on the east side of King County.

Meeting time will be 0730.

Event will consist of a hike 6 miles to meet APC qual requirements.

After the hike we will do practical application exercises to prep for the May event.

PM me for more details if you  are interested.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks, letting him know now. Time & place?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:46:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No budget for a new truck this year. Do you think I should get a roof rack, or a trailer? Maybe both?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170924/Snowshoes-1758062.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170924/Skis-1758063.jpg

Every day you don't train, your opponent does. And when you meet, he will beat you

You need a bigger truck so you can cube that one out too.

No budget for a new truck this year. Do you think I should get a roof rack, or a trailer? Maybe both?

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Very awesome hike today. I knew it was going to be cold but I was surprised to see my car say 23F first thing in the morning.

@elcope feel free to chime in how that is t-shirt weather in MT
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Very awesome hike today. I knew it was going to be cold but I was surprised to see my car say 23F first thing in the morning.

View Quote

No, that's cold, not ass puckering, nose hair freezing cold, but cold nonetheless.  

I bet you worked in layers and implemented a heat management plan as you hiked, though?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#26]
It was a good hike today, glad to have been able to attend and I especially appreciate the sharing of knowledge by M & D after the hike.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maybe a roof rack, and a trailer with a roof rack!
View Quote

With room in the trailer for a mobile Ham shack.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, that's cold, not ass puckering, nose hair freezing cold, but cold nonetheless.  

I bet you worked in layers and implemented a heat management plan as you hiked, though?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and for once I picked the sweet spot of being just cold enough at the beginning that I didn't have to stop and remove anything on the way .
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:35:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, and for once I picked the sweet spot of being just cold enough at the beginning that I didn't have to stop and remove anything on the way .
View Quote

That's the sweet spot.  

In the future, have available items on hand needed to keep warm if you had to stop and (change socks for 10 minutes, work a radio for an hour or spend the night) That's where you manage warmth with your heat management plan.

Good job.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#32]
It was a great hike and learning experience afterwards.  Definitely worth the 4 hour drive to get there. Now to get some people going in the SW WA/NW OR area so I don't have to go that far EVERY time!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It was a great hike and learning experience afterwards.  Definitely worth the 4 hour drive to get there. Now to get some people going in the SW WA/NW OR area so I don't have to go that far EVERY time!
View Quote

I hope you can find some people more local to you, but we'd always be glad to see ya!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#35]
WA APC members have a hike scheduled for Saturday, 20 February 2021 near Everett, WA.

The meet time is 0700 and the total duration of the event should be approximately 3.5 hours. We will hike 3 miles total in order to make it a qualifying hike for new members. This hike will take place regardless of weather conditions, dress accordingly but layer so as to avoid overheating.

Please send a PM to me if you are interested.

Thank you,
ObsoleteMan
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you to TNC for helping me find the location for APC.  I'll start planning a hike for my provisional, and for fun maybe doing a POTA at the end depending on where I go.   Look for more information to follow:

O_Neg / KI7GGK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top