Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2018 8:34:26 PM EDT
Tell me about the area... my son just got his soft orders for Warren AFB in WY.

He loves to hunt... I think he will like the change from humid FL.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Whaaaaaatttttttt?????? I can't hear you over this damn wind!!!!!!

cheyenne is pretty good plenty close to lots of different things from outdoor to big city. Getting to be lots of people and starting to see more Colorado people buying up places and commuting because of the real estate market there.

Overall i I like it and we've made a good living here so far and we're selling in town and buying a nice chunk outside of town now.
Any specific questions just ask
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#2]
F.E. Warren AFB is a missile base, that's all they really support. You have Security Forces who support the main base, then you have cops that support the missile fields, and QRF that support the movements of missiles and other special items that go between main base and the missile fields. You have folks like me who work(ed) in the Missile fields supporting the missile combat crews and security forces who stay out there for days at a time. The main base is really quiet due to the mission being out in NE and CO. And by quiet, I mean it's not really a busy place?. But it is a sprawling base with lots of open areas, and old historic buildings and grounds.

If he likes hunting, then he'll be right at home. To the west you have the Medicine Bow and Snowy Ranges that hold tons of Elk, Deer, Moose, and Antelope. F.E. Warren AFB is a Antelope sanctuary of sorts. I believe they still keep the base herd healthy and strong to support other states herds with transplants. They do have an archery only season on base with a limited quota.

The town of Cheyenne is a decent size, but small enough that it too gets quiet at night. If he is young and likes the night life, then he'll probably hit of Fort Collins CO about 30 miles south. It has everything you'd need as a young Airman...Bars, restaurants, college girls.

I retired out of F.E.W. back in 2011, and instead of moving back home, I stayed in place. Got a job in the Oilfield, got out before the bust, and now drive fuel tankers making really good money. But sometimes the road conditions and weather make me think of moving every year LOL. But I've stuck it out for 12 years now, and will probably stick around.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
F.E. Warren AFB is a missile base, that's all they really support. You have Security Forces who support the main base, then you have cops that support the missile fields, and QRF that support the movements of missiles and other special items that go between main base and the missile fields. You have folks like me who work(ed) in the Missile fields supporting the missile combat crews and security forces who stay out there for days at a time. The main base is really quiet due to the mission being out in NE and CO. And by quiet, I mean it's not really a busy place?. But it is a sprawling base with lots of open areas, and old historic buildings and grounds.

If he likes hunting, then he'll be right at home. To the west you have the Medicine Bow and Snowy Ranges that hold tons of Elk, Deer, Moose, and Antelope. F.E. Warren AFB is a Antelope sanctuary of sorts. I believe they still keep the base herd healthy and strong to support other states herds with transplants. They do have an archery only season on base with a limited quota.

The town of Cheyenne is a decent size, but small enough that it too gets quiet at night. If he is young and likes the night life, then he'll probably hit of Fort Collins CO about 30 miles south. It has everything you'd need as a young Airman...Bars, restaurants, college girls.

I retired out of F.E.W. back in 2011, and instead of moving back home, I stayed in place. Got a job in the Oilfield, got out before the bust, and now drive fuel tankers making really good money. But sometimes the road conditions and weather make me think of moving every year LOL. But I've stuck it out for 12 years now, and will probably stick around.
View Quote
Thanks for the information. He like archery, I'll pass that on to him.

I'm headed out there mid June to hunt prairie dogs near Rawlins, I believe maybe two hours west?
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, 2 hours west on I-80
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Well... putting my son on a jet Thursday and he's headed to WY. I'm going to miss him big time...

He got a nice Jeep while home on leave and we will be shipping it to him. When he out-processed at Lackland last month he told the AF he was flying from FL to WY as getting the Jeep was not a guaranteed thing. So he's basically committed to that travel plan... thus the reason to ship.

What's the land like out there for general shooting? Can you just drive out in the middle of nowhere, say on public land, and shoot?

He would like to get into some off road trail riding meetings/clubs and get in some coyote hunting.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
There's not much public land to go shoot on around here. He can find some state sections close but to run up to the forest is 45 minutes or so but closed to shooting march to sept because of the amount of people up in such a small area. He can drive west of Laramie to the snowy range and go shooting but it's 100 miles and some of its on fire right now lol. Anything I can help with let me know I right here I'm Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's not much public land to go shoot on around here. He can find some state sections close but to run up to the forest is 45 minutes or so but closed to shooting march to sept because of the amount of people up in such a small area. He can drive west of Laramie to the snowy range and go shooting but it's 100 miles and some of its on fire right now lol. Anything I can help with let me know I right here I'm Cheyenne.
View Quote
Thanks... if he has any problems or issues settling in, I might hit you up with questions.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#8]
He could get a membership to the Otto Road shooting range. It's a nice range just outside of town. And last time I went out there it looked like they're expanding the long range area out to 1k yds.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He could get a membership to the Otto Road shooting range. It's a nice range just outside of town. And last time I went out there it looked like they're expanding the long range area out to 1k yds.
View Quote
Thanks... I'll pass that on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#10]
UPDATE... my boy loves it out there.

Opening morning of duck season... I hate this kid...LOL.

Link Posted: 9/29/2018 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Very cool
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top