Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2021 3:26:05 PM EDT
A friend of mine recently purchased a firearm from a larger dealer and had it transferred to his local FFL. He purchased it on a Monday morning and it was delivered Wednesday morning. He called Thursday asking if he could come and pick up the firearm but they said he can do the 4473 paperwork, pay for the transfer but needed to wait until the next Tuesday to pick it up. Is this correct or is the FFL being untruthful on the wait period? He does not have a CCW and as I understand it, the waiting period starts the day of purchase as long as it is on a weekday. With that, he should have been able to pick up the gun on Friday. The FFL claims the three day wait starts the day he filled out his 4473 since the firearm came from a dealer out of state. Doesn’t seem right. I purchase on my CCW so I don’t know about the minutia of the waiting period.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2019/0790.0655

Chapter 790
WEAPONS AND FIREARMS
Entire Chapter
SECTION 0655
Purchase and delivery of firearms; mandatory waiting period; exceptions; penalties.
790.0655Purchase and delivery of firearms; mandatory waiting period; exceptions; penalties.
(1)(a)A mandatory waiting period is imposed between the purchase and delivery of a firearm. The mandatory waiting period is 3 days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, or expires upon the completion of the records checks required under s. 790.065, whichever occurs later. "Purchase" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer. "Retailer" means and includes a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer engaged in the business of making firearm sales at retail or for distribution, or use, or consumption, or storage to be used or consumed in this state, as defined in s. 212.02(13).
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Some counties are 5 days..

Is it a long gun or pistol?   Long gun: if he has a hunter safety card or is a fudd like me with a hunting license he can pick up same day.

From same link that Kissfan posted

"(2) The waiting period does not apply in the following circumstances:
(a) When a firearm is being purchased by a holder of a concealed weapons permit as defined in s. 790.06.
(b) To a trade-in of another firearm.
(c) To the purchase of a rifle or shotgun, upon a person’s successfully completing a minimum of a 16-hour hunter safety course and possessing a hunter safety certification card issued under s. 379.3581. A person who is exempt from the hunter safety course requirements under s. 379.3581 and holds a valid Florida hunting license is exempt from the mandatory waiting period under this section for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun."
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
His county is three days.

It’s a pistol

He does not have a Hunter Ed cert nor a hunting license

No CCW
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Then he's going to have to wait.  Ccw is easy to get.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
(1)(a)A mandatory waiting period is imposed between the purchase and delivery of a firearm.

Purchase" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer.

The waiting period started when he bought the gun from the dealer and ends 72 hours later not including weekends or holidays if it was a 3 day wait. The backgrounds check must be complete before he can take possession of the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve had dealers that do it from when money changed hands and ones that do it from the 4473 date.

I think the money changed hands ones are right, trying to convince the FFLs that do it from the 4773 date is going to be a big old waste of time and aggravation.
It’s similar to FFLs that don’t accept transfers from individuals. They’re wrong, but it won’t get you to change how they do things unfortunately.

In the future find a dealer that does the wait from the receipt/payment date or just get a ccw.
Link Posted: 10/22/2021 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
CWP is the answer, the transfering dealer needs to be able to prove the wait most do wait from 4473 signature easy to prove the wait occurred. Others may use common sense.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some counties are 5 days..

Is it a long gun or pistol?   Long gun: if he has a hunter safety card or is a fudd like me with a hunting license he can pick up same day.

From same link that Kissfan posted

"(2) The waiting period does not apply in the following circumstances:
(a) When a firearm is being purchased by a holder of a concealed weapons permit as defined in s. 790.06.
(b) To a trade-in of another firearm.
(c) To the purchase of a rifle or shotgun, upon a person’s successfully completing a minimum of a 16-hour hunter safety course and possessing a hunter safety certification card issued under s. 379.3581. A person who is exempt from the hunter safety course requirements under s. 379.3581 and holds a valid Florida hunting license is exempt from the mandatory waiting period under this section for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun."
View Quote

This law sucks but getting a CWP isn’t a huge deal. Does anyone know if a out of state CWP honoured by Florida will help you bypass the 3 day waiting period? Example Military stationed in Florida with a resident PA permit? Or will I need to get a Florida permit also (probably going to do regardless)
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
In the future find a dealer that does the wait from the receipt/payment date
View Quote

This exactly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Alachua county is five days and the hunting license exemption doesn't exist here.

Called Cabela's out in Utah on a Saturday and bought a rifle via phone, shipped to G'ville BassPro.  Billed my card Monday.  Rifle shipped Monday.  Rifle arrived and I did paperwork and paid for xfer ($5 call actually, xfer was free) and while I passed the bg check immediately, I had to wait until Tuesday to take rifle home.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I told him he needs to get a CCW permit. It’s not hard. I had mine since a moved to Florida in 95. Much more convenient.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 10:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
It starts on the date of purchase.

Some dealers will do it when the 4473 is filled out.  Its so there is clearly a date signed in both spots 5 days apart.

Otherwise they have to make a copy of the receipt/order confirmation, put it with the 4473 and add a note / statement why it was released earlier.

Dealer can make up their rules, its their business.   Don't like it, transfer to someone else!

And if it purchased it Monday,  He technically could of picked it up on Thursday.  Or you could argue Wednesday after 5pm. (Close of Federal Business day). If you really wanted to try and push for it ASAP.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah, I told him he needs to get a CCW permit. It's not hard. I had mine since a moved to Floor in 95. Much more convenient.
View Quote
doesn't your "other paperwork" supersede a CCW?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I told him he needs to get a CCW permit. It's not hard. I had mine since a moved to Florida in 95. Much more convenient.

Sadly no.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This law sucks but getting a CWP isn't a huge deal. Does anyone know if a out of state CWP honoured by Florida will help you bypass the 3 day waiting period? Example Military stationed in Florida with a resident PA permit? Or will I need to get a Florida permit also (probably going to do regardless)
View Quote
Having an out of state CWP and being military stationed in Florida on PCS orders will not allow you to bypass the three day wait.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#16]
As others have stated, the waiting period starts on the date of purchase, so the FFL's that use the date of the background check are wrong.  But good luck trying to convince them they are wrong.  CWP is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, he got his new pew and he is happy. He will not be shopping at the LGS in question any more. I told him as much but he didn’t want to drive an extra ten miles so he learned his lesson. This particular shop is actually a chain here in Florida and I have heard and have seen some pretty shady crap from them and have not dealt with them in years. I will give a plug to a great and honest shop here in Lee County, Shoot Center in Cape Coral. It’s my go to shop for everything that goes bang!
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve had dealers that do it from when money changed hands and ones that do it from the 4473 date.

I think the money changed hands ones are right, trying to convince the FFLs that do it from the 4773 date is going to be a big old waste of time and aggravation.
It’s similar to FFLs that don’t accept transfers from individuals. They’re wrong, but it won’t get you to change how they do things unfortunately.

In the future find a dealer that does the wait from the receipt/payment date or just get a ccw.
View Quote

This. My typical FFL and I have been over it multiple times with one another, but I have my CWP so it's a moot point for any transaction for myself.

Guns for relatives, when I've steered them to him, are what kept reigniting the discussion... but, the guy is cheap and super reliable, so I like him
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top