BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked WV Role Call.... (Page 5 of 14)
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By navyrifleshooter:
Anyone know of a range that holds high power matches in WV? The closer to Charleston the better. Thanks

Putnam county gun club in Eleanor. The range is out to 300 yds.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 12:49:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navyrifleshooter] [#2]
Thanks for the info, Might try to catch a match next time I go home on leave.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey im from Huntington WV
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By biggrizz408:
Hey im from Huntington WV

Welcome. Milton, Cabell County here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Checking in again -- actually ended up living in Charleston... boy am I glad to be back.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Parkersburg WV  born in Fl. but tell everyone im from WV i just love it here been here 15 years
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By sawgunnerson:
Parkersburg WV  born in Fl. but tell everyone im from WV i just love it here been here 15 years

Welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#8]
....just check'n in again

Cabell Co
Link Posted: 8/19/2007 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Another resident of Hardy County
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 12:58:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1234bird] [#10]
Jefferson County WV here. Charles Town to be exact.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 1:04:07 AM EDT
[#11]
In case every body hasn't heard "Sparks " in Wv is no longer in business.  He closed up last month.    
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By 1234bird:
In case every body hasn't heard "Sparks " in Wv is no longer in business.  He closed up last month.    

Whoooohoo!

Uh, I mean, sorry to hear that.

(never felt wanted in that store, never had good service.  Liked the long distance underground range, but not the looks I used to get bringing in the 91.  Much more likey VG2....much more.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:04:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1234bird] [#13]
How about an Wv shoot of some kind.  We have Sleepy Creek in Berkley county. but it is not thr greatist place for a groupe of shooters.  There are three shooting rest I believe and if it is raining you will get wet.  
  If someone knows of a farmer that would let us use a hill side, that could work out to be a good thing.  I think private land would be best way to go.  we would need to bring our own tables and chairs targets ,etc food and refreshments and some cash for the land owner.  make it an all day thing. maybe some of our ar15.com leaders could help some of us rookies in setting up an ar properly.  Who knows . this could be big/hing
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:12:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep they were always like that.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#15]

How about an Wv shoot of some kind.  We have Sleepy Creek in Berkley county. but it is not thr greatist place for a groupe of shooters.  There are three shooting rest I believe and if it is raining you will get wet.  
  If someone knows of a farmer that would let us use a hill side, that could work out to be a good thing.  I think private land would be best way to go.  we would need to bring our own tables and chairs targets ,etc food and refreshments and some cash for the land owner.  make it an all day thing. maybe some of our ar15.com leaders could help some of us rookies in setting up an ar properly.  Who knows . this could be big/ Or a start of some thing good for a change!!!!!!!

I know you mentioned private land but the 1st place that came to mind is the Cornstalk "Public" Shooting range in Mason County. Accessible off RT35.

Its been awhile since I was out there. It did have multiple covered shooting benches, picnic tables and goes out to 300yd.  

List of Districts with Public Ranges
WV Public Shooting Ranges
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:35:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: millerized] [#16]

If someone knows of a farmer that would let us use a hill side, that could work out to be a good thing.  I think private land would be best way to go.  we would need to bring our own tables and chairs targets ,etc food and refreshments and some cash for the land owner.  make it an all day thing. maybe some of our ar15.com leaders could help some of us rookies in setting up an ar properly.  Who knows . this could be big/ Or a start of some thing good for a change!!!!!!!

Mason County?  6-7hr drive for me....bit long for a few hours of shooting unless we're spending the weekend.

There are either 7 or 8 spots at Sleepy Creek (I think 7 cause I always try to get #4 -middle one with best access to all distances).  If the rain is coming from the north, south, west, you'll be OK unless it's a driven rain.  If it's coming from the east, you'll get wet.  Hell, if the rain is coming from the sky you'll get wet thanks to the idiots that think the roof is the target.  It's NOT EBR friendly due to the 3 round max per mag, no full auto, although most times I go up there it's usually full of folks that  dick it up for the rest of us.

For a large group, you'll have to get there VERY early to get enough benches.  It fills up fast.  I've gotten there at 6am during the summer and been waiting for 30min to get a bench.  I've also been there at 6am and am the only person for an hour or better.  Finding someone that will A: Let you shoot on their land.... B: a place that's big enough that a group of 5-10 people can have enough fun and not annoy the neighbors..... and C: a group of folks that won't screw it up........You're looking at a slim chance of finding that place, even with a cash "donation".  

One wrong move, tho, and you lose your place to shoot and the person who owns the land is in the middle of a lawsuit for either noise or reckless endangerment for 1 misplaced shot (or the infamous "these bullets hit my house" Iraqi woman) cause you interrupted their brunch and/or latte with the noise.

Slim or not, I'd be more than willing to drop $20-50 for a good days blasting at distance.  Hell, give me a day at a 500yrd or longer range, I'd go upwards of $100 since that's about what it costs me to drive to the parents house in PA, drag all my poo up, shoot,  then drive back down.

On the other hand, if someone HAS that kind of place, where shooting already takes place that doesn't bother the neighbors, I'd be more than happy to assist in the planning/presentation/hosting/clean-up of the party.  Enough land could be found that we could "camp" overnight if you wanted to, shoot all day.....but getting someone to volunteer the space will be the biggie.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:08:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ron-O] [#17]
height=8
Graphixhost --

I'm from Wheeling just ordered my first AR about two weeks ago RRA Entry Tactical. Anyone know were to find a good shooting range?

2 ranges in Marshall County... Both nice ranges.. $25 a year to join each.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I hear there is a good range near Ripley but I have never been there.  Anyone who has been there please give some feedback.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Ron-O:

Graphixhost --

I'm from Wheeling just ordered my first AR about two weeks ago RRA Entry Tactical. Anyone know were to find a good shooting range?

2 ranges in Marshall County... Both nice ranges.. $25 a year to join each.

I know of the one out by northern regional jail but I heard that they are not to keen on shooting AR type rifles.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi all, I'm from Putnam county.  I believe I know "CreekerDoug"  he's one of those 3 gun shooters.  I'm an AR(M4's), AK, 12ga, and 9mm double stak types also but not much into competition.  I'm retired AF and not original to WV.  As those that know my history, I'm from nowhere.  Dad was GI and me GI, been there done that.  Just a rolling stone...................Mike
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 3:02:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Well i have a private place to shoot. But only a handfull of folks could come. Like maybe 3 other plus my father and I.  Can get up to 350yrds if  we shoot from hill top to a stream bottom at the lower ends of rail tracks.   No issues with people near by because it is more than 500 feet from any house. So they can't do shit. And the main shooting areas is strait down into a bank that is about 20ft high and trees all around.

what about the cove for a larger group?

After hunting season i still want to take you to my place to shoot Miller.

by the way it is in J-County.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By TURNSKULL:

WTF did I do?!!!

I guess I should be asking when open season on Miller's is?!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2007 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL thats funny. I didn't even pay attention to my word play. Oh shit that was great.

You knew what i was saying you ass.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 8:05:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: millerized] [#24]

LOL thats funny. I didn't even pay attention to my word play. Oh shit that was great.

Yeah, sure, uh-huh....you just want me to stick my head up so you can take a shot at it.........Shoot Miller.....yeah..........right.......about that

You knew what i was saying you ass.  

You Ass?!!  My wife calls me the same thing....and I'll freely admit it......but now I'm wondering when you'd make it "You Ass" season  Course, there'd be a whole lot more of us on the playing field then, wouldn't there..... Kinda like fish in a barrel.

Link Posted: 10/22/2007 11:14:13 AM EDT
[#25]

Well i have a private place to shoot. But only a handfull of folks could come. Like maybe 3 other plus my father and I.  Can get up to 350yrds if  we shoot from hill top to a stream bottom at the lower ends of rail tracks.   No issues with people near by because it is more than 500 feet from any house. So they can't do shit. And the main shooting areas is strait down into a bank that is about 20ft high and trees all around.

what about the cove for a larger group?

by the way it is in J-County.  

J-County = Jefferson?  DH and I are in Berkeley.

And if ya let us come play sometime we've got cool NFA toys which we're glad to let others shoot, as long as they supply the ammo...
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#26]
MMMMM NFA toys.

Sorry Miller but you have been pushed to the bottom of the list.

Just kidding.

That sounds cool. Lets get through the hunting season. And i will check with my fathers friend (land owner) and see if he would be cool with a few strangers, and some fun toys.

don't think FA would be a problem i have bump fired out there.  Matter of fact last Arts and Crafts festival they had  we were at the farm shooting. And  Sen. Bird was at the festival and my father and i were blasting away. i was bump fireing. We were told later on that folks were wondering where the war was.  Ha ha.  Got love this state.   Byrd just sat there like nothing was going on listening to the  folk music.
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#27]

MMMMM NFA toys.

Sorry Miller but you have been pushed to the bottom of the list.

Just kidding.  
Meh, I'm used to it

That sounds cool. Lets get through the hunting season. And i will check with my fathers friend (land owner) and see if he would be cool with a few strangers, and some fun toys.

don't think FA would be a problem i have bump fired out there.  Matter of fact last Arts and Crafts festival they had  we were at the farm shooting. And  Sen. Bird was at the festival and my father and i were blasting away. i was bump fireing. We were told later on that folks were wondering where the war was.  Ha ha.  Got love this state.   Byrd just sat there like nothing was going on listening to the  folk music.

Gotta love the guy, having met him and almost knocked him on his kiester (different story for some other time)....I honestly don't think he knew where he was, let alone what was going on in the back ground....moments of coherent thought, but mostly out there.  Worse since his wife died.
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't believe he has had a coherent thought in the last 40 years.
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By cfbigdaddy:
I don't believe he [Byrd] has had a coherent thought in the last 40 years.

Maybe after he retires/dies I'll run for office.  Y'all would vote for me, right?

If the landowner isn't cool with full-auto NFA toys there's always the suppressed stuff.
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 12:57:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: millerized] [#30]

Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Originally Posted By cfbigdaddy:
I don't believe he [Byrd] has had a coherent thought in the last 40 years.

Maybe after he retires/dies I'll run for office.  Y'all would vote for me, right?

If the landowner isn't cool with full-auto NFA toys there's always the suppressed stuff.

Yeah, suppressed stuff and TANNERITE!!!

And yes, we'd vote fo ya!  You're who again?!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2007 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Well if you have cans on your FA stuff then it would be the best of both worlds

But i will be sure to let you all know.
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 1:34:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Hi folks! Just joined the forums... newbie AR owner from Ona.
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By DustyM:

Welcome to the zoo!
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 4:41:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By southpaw67:

Welcome to the zoo!

No doubt!

Hey Southpaw, my form 4 should be coming your way soon. I hope.
Link Posted: 10/27/2007 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By crodeo:

Originally Posted By southpaw67:

Welcome to the zoo!

No doubt!

Hey Southpaw, my form 4 should be coming your way soon. I hope.

Okee doke
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Welcome Dusty!

Not far from ya.... enjoy the new toy
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 1:58:12 AM EDT
[#37]
hey you Ar lovers, we need to really get off our butts and find a place to shoot.  I read a bout doing a club thing which would be cool I think.  If we just sit and talk about it we will not get anything done.
 I am an ffl in jeff co.  I'will be applying for a class 3 in july of this coming year.  IW
is really hard to get into.  Sparks is closed. so we need to find a place where we can get together and get something done. Some one must have some land we could use. around jeff,brkly with enough land that we could take care of  that would be cool with the owner.   Lets get started!!!!!   call me !!!  
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Welcome to the forums Dusty,You me and Southpaw arent to far from each other,I am from Putnam County,Fraziers Bottom to be exact,Later and have a good one,
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 4:38:02 AM EDT
[#39]
1234  do you have a shop in J county?
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 12:43:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southpaw67] [#40]
I volunteer to try to pull together the SW West Virginia members into a shooting group.

That would be the area of Cabell, Wayne, Putnam, Kanawha, Mason, Jackson, Lincoln, and a couple more counties.

I am an 07FFL/Class II. I cant afford to be an Arfcom paying dealer so I do NO BUSINESS on this site.

I live in Milton, Cabell County.  I am a member of the Huntington Rifle & Pistol Club (300yd max rifle range, pistol range and skeet). Our range is up Swamp Branch Holler in Martha (south of Barboursville).

There is also the Putnam County Club with a range in Eleanor, I beleive.

There is also the Chief Cornstalk Public Range accessed from US Rt 35. Its been awhile since I was out there but it was nice, mostly clean, and goes out to 250/300yds. Picnic areas and all that. It would be a good central spot to meet.

If your in the area from Charleston (even Beckley) to Huntington and Williamson to Parkersburg email me and we will get this thing rolling.

I do attend Marshall U fulltime so bear with me on replies.

eta....If anyone knows of or owns a farm with a safe area to shoot let me know .
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Count me in. Putnam County here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Right out side of Shep Town is where i live.

Yeah sleepy creek hates AR's but its the only place i have. I don't know enough people at the IWL to get in. wish i did cause its only 5 min from my house and i would shoot more.

From Charles Town here
in IWL and they have a no rapid fire rule it sucks!
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I work in Charles Town but live in Hampshire County.
I shoot at home.  Haven't got a range set up yet.  But maybe if I had some help.......
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the welcomes folks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Hi all.

Martinsburg here.  I would love to find a nice place to shoot outdoors.

Does Westlance still exist in Kearneysville?  Do they let people shoot there?  With Sparks gone there is not much local except for Sleepy Creek which is not exactly around the corner.

Link Posted: 11/18/2007 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#46]
4CHNB

You should come out to our 1st ever EWV meet and greet dinner. It will be sometime the first part of 08.

We have a post on this forum check it out and let us know if you want to come.

That way those of us that have private places to shoot can get to know one another and maybe send out invites.  ( Millerized people not allowed)
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By 4CHN8:
Hi all.

Martinsburg here.  I would love to find a nice place to shoot outdoors.

Does Westlance still exist in Kearneysville?  Do they let people shoot there?  With Sparks gone there is not much local except for Sleepy Creek which is not exactly around the corner.

Westlance is actually over near Hedgesville off of Rt 7/Jones Springs Rd.  It is sort of on the way to Sleepy Creek, but not quite as far.  And yes, he is still there.

I hear you about needing somewhere closer though.  I live on the Martinsburg side of Kearneysville, and HATE driving all the way to Sleepy Creek to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By TURNSKULL: ( Millerized people not allowed)

Damn right......uh, wait....

nevermind
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I will definitely check out the thread and see what I can do.  I don't have a lot of weapons but love to shoot and used to get so sick of shooting "in the hole" at Spark's.  Course now I kinda miss the place.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Doh.  I always mix them up in my head.  I have only been out here a few years since being liberated from MD.

I live in Stonebridge, barely in Martinsburg.

Does anyone know if Westlance lets people shoot there?  I looked for a website for them but found nothing.
Page / 14
Tacked WV Role Call.... (Page 5 of 14)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top