Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2020 5:40:17 PM EDT
Today we NEED ALL HANDS: Stop scrolling and take 2 minutes: LEAVE A COMMENT ON SHB 2240 (Mag ban) & EMAIL ALL HOUSE (D)s! TODAY (Yes, even on a holiday)THREE EASY STEPS

WE'RE MAKING A DIFFERENCE. Legislators are complaining about being inundated. WELL DONE! Yesterday they delayed key votes on this bill. BUT: the anti-gun folks are pushing VERY hard.
WE NEED TO PUSH HARDER. WE NEED TO BE LOUDER!! WE DESERVE TO BE HEARD!!!
The House IS meeting today!

STEP 1: Please visit this link to leave a comment on (Substitute)HB 2240 High capacity magazine ban: https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/2240
Enter your address, select your reps, request a response, enter your contact info, click Oppose, and paste your comments (1000 char limit), and click Send.
---
Where is the evidence that this has ANY IMPACT on reducing crime?
Rep. Valdez, the bill sponsor, actually said this bill will not solve gun violence.
Against AG Ferguson's recommendations, The Washington Mass Shootings Work Group specifically did not recommend magazine restrictions to prevent mass shootings.
George Mason University found "very, very little evidence, almost none, that gun violence was any less lethal or less injurious during [the 1994 Federal magazine ban]. They concluded "the ban had not had a discernible impact on gun crime." (US DOJ Testimony)
The Cato Institute said, "A 5- or 10round magazine could severely limit the ability of crime victims to defend themselves, especially against multiple assailants." (Cato Institute)
The bill disproportionately punishes the disabled, elderly, injured, or ill citizens attempting to defend their lives.
Please OPPOSE SHB 2240 and keep your constituents safer during the 44,572 violent crimes they experienced in 2018.
----
STEP 2: Email EVERY (D) Representative with this message!

To: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected];
[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Subject: OPPOSE SHB 2240-Demand evidence not emotion

Representatives,
I'm sure you've heard many emotional pleas to make our communities safer by banning standard-capacity magazines (i.e. the magazines that are shipped standard with most firearms). But where is the evidence that this has ANY IMPACT on reducing crime?
Rep. Valdez, the bill sponsor, actually said this bill will not solve gun violence.
Against AG Ferguson's recommendations, The Washington Mass Shootings Work Group specifically did not recommend magazine restrictions to prevent mass shootings.
George Mason University found "very, very little evidence, almost none, that gun violence was any less lethal or less injurious during [the 1994 Federal magazine ban]. They concluded "the ban had not had a discernible impact on gun crime." (US DOJ Testimony)
During two of the highest-profile mass shootings in recent history, "the shooters used 10-round magazines; they just brought a lot of them. These magazines would not have been affected at all by the proposed [magazine] ban." (Gun Control Facts)
The Cato Institute said, "A 5- or 10round magazine could severely limit the ability of crime victims to defend themselves, especially against multiple assailants." (Cato Institute)
Reducing magazine capacity punishes anyone who may need to fight off multiple home invaders as 10 or even 15 rounds may not allow defense against a single attacker
The bill disproportionately punishes the disabled, elderly, injured, or ill citizens. They may have neither the ability to carry additional NOR reload multiple magazines to defend their lives from multiple attackers.
Please OPPOSE SHB 2240 and keep your constituents safer during the 44,572 violent crimes they experienced in 2018.

Respectfully,
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Just sent another round.

I modified my version.  Everyone - feel free to copy or modify.

" Representatives,

I'm sure you've heard many emotional pleas to make our communities safer by banning standard-capacity magazines (i.e. the magazines that are shipped standard with most firearms). But where is the evidence that this has ANY IMPACT on reducing crime?

And let us not forget that the U.S. 9th Circuit has already once struck down California's magazine capacity ban and while there is a temporary injunction, it is likely the court's decision will ultimately prevail.  Should a magazine capacity limit/ban be imposed in Washington State, a lawsuit will quickly follow.  This will cost Washington taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars to defend only to have such legislation eventually thrown out by a higher court.

It would be wise to just let SHB 2240 "die on the vine" this session thus nobody has to be on the official roll call as having supported this legislation.  Law-abiding Washington gun owners are fed up and are becoming more energized, engaged and active like never before.  You can be sure that if a magazine capacity ban were to be enacted this session, it will drive even more law-abiding Washington gun owners to the polls in November.

Are you willing to risk being unseated?

Best Regards,
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're considering voting in favor of HB2240 I ask that you reconsider. My request is quite personal in that my employment places me into direct contact with criminals during my daily duties as [persec]. I am often asked to testify in court regarding matters of competency and am a recognizable figure in the jail community.

Although I am in charge of providing treatment and medical services, I am viewed as a proxy of the uniformed jail staff by incarcerated inmates. This perception, grounded or otherwise, presents real security implications for my family and I. I carry a firearm daily outside of the confines of the jail and retain a valid CPL from WA. This firearm is manufactured by Glock and is a model 17 chambered in 9mm. The standard capacity for a Glock model 17 is 17+1 (17 round standard magazine and one chambered round). This firearm is perhaps the most utilized firearm in police agencies around the world including the Sheriff department within the facility run by [persec].

I choose to carry this firearm daily when outside of the secured jail environment because I see often run into individuals I've previously managed after they release into the community. Admittedly, I have not yet been criminally targeted based on my employment status although I believe the threat to be real. The firearm is one way I mitigate such a threat.

I ask that you do not arbitrarily force me to chose between violating the law (if HB2240 is passed) and the safety of my family. Your choice very easily could make me a criminal overnight. Furthermore, other than hyperbole and flimsy anecdotal examples, magazine bans or restrictions have never been shown to increase public safety. They directly target law abiding citizens like myself and force us into an impossible choice.

Please don't force me to choose. Vote no on HB2240.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Sent to all of the reps
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're considering voting in favor of HB2240 I ask that you reconsider. My request is quite personal in that my employment places me into direct contact with criminals during my daily duties as [persec]. I am often asked to testify in court regarding matters of competency and am a recognizable figure in the jail community.

Although I am in charge of providing treatment and medical services, I am viewed as a proxy of the uniformed jail staff by incarcerated inmates. This perception, grounded or otherwise, presents real security implications for my family and I. I carry a firearm daily outside of the confines of the jail and retain a valid CPL from WA. This firearm is manufactured by Glock and is a model 17 chambered in 9mm. The standard capacity for a Glock model 17 is 17+1 (17 round standard magazine and one chambered round). This firearm is perhaps the most utilized firearm in police agencies around the world including the Sheriff department within the facility run by [persec].

I choose to carry this firearm daily when outside of the secured jail environment because I see often run into individuals I've previously managed after they release into the community. Admittedly, I have not yet been criminally targeted based on my employment status although I believe the threat to be real. The firearm is one way I mitigate such a threat.

I ask that you do not arbitrarily force me to chose between violating the law (if HB2240 is passed) and the safety of my family. Your choice very easily could make me a criminal overnight. Furthermore, other than hyperbole and flimsy anecdotal examples, magazine bans or restrictions have never been shown to increase public safety. They directly target law abiding citizens like myself and force us into an impossible choice.

Please don't force me to choose. Vote no on HB2240.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Sent to all of the reps
View Quote
This the reality we need to be hitting them with.  Thank you for taking action.  Please keep it up.  Send daily, lather-rinse-repeat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top