Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2021 1:46:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
As per Front-page Article in Sat 26 June ProJo  (Providence Journal) a "package" of Bills has been submitted to House and Senate Judiciary Committees for approval, and submission to relevant bodies.  Bills specifically mentioned are (1) Straw Purchase Bill, (2) School-grounds gun ban, (3) Tax credit for safe storage items, and (4) Enhanced reporting of gun crimes and their ultimate disposition (Good gun bill).

The article began on page 1A, and (ironically) continued on page 2A.

No mention in article of "high-cap" mag bill, or of outlawing "Assault" weapons bills being included in the "Package".

DO NOT BE FOOLED!  Our opponents are certain to try to get these noxious AWB and Mag Bills (and others) brought to a vote.  Take a few minutes to e-mail your State Rep and Senator about your wishes.  Even if you have already done so, remind them NOW, so it is fresh in their minds!

Please share with like-minded friends!
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Last chance to send e-mails to your RI Reps and Sens!

Generic form e-mail here:  E-mail letter  DO change the Subject Line, and add something pertinent and respectful to the body of the text, because some mass e-mails get caught in the Spam filter at receiving end.

E-mails of Sens and Reps here: Individual E-mail addys
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard they locked you guys out of the state house.

Prepacked the state house with antis and said, sorry all full.

Is this true?

Link Posted: 6/29/2021 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
How did you guys make out?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 1:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JRCmx:
How did you guys make out?
View Quote

House and Senate "Leadership-Approved" Bill "Packages" supposedly up for vote Today, Weds, Jun 30, in both RI House and Senate.  My fear is that the Antis will try to "Add" the worst Bills possible to the "packages", or demand an outright vote on the Separate (worst) Bills.

We'll see soon enough.  In any event, the prospect of such Bills coming to the floor of both RI House and Senate remains viable until State Legislature adjourns (very soon) until the Fall.    IDK if Bills previously submitted will still be "viable" in the "Fall" session of Legislature, but it's a certainty that such Bills will be re-submitted, if required.  The Antis aren't going away any time soon.

As to your previous post, yes, there were some shenanigans (ostensibly due to Covid restrictions) that occurred, and which, purely by coincidence, seemed to benefit the Antis.  OTOH, there are actually some reasonable, fair-minded folks in local Media who were alerted to the obvious unfairness of these things, and The Legislators were publicly embarrassed.  

Frankly, if we succeed in avoiding an so-called "Assault Weapons" Ban, and "HI-Cap" Mag Ban, I will be delighted.   A LOT of people, myself least amongst them, stepped up to the plate, and did their civic duty.   All I did was to write e-mails to State Legislators, House and Senate "Leadership Teams", and the Governor, e-mail the House and Senate Judiciary Committee Members, write Letters-to-the-Editor in various local papers, call up sympathetic radio talk shows, and kept alerting friends and relatives with pertinent info on a regular basis.  Many others did far, far more, and all credit is due them; I did what I consider a bare minimum, due to various personal circumstances.  If possible, will try to do more in the future, as circumstances allow.

The single Pro-Gun bill, In the "Package", which requires the State to fully inform on firearms charges and their disposition in the Courts might force the State to charge felons with firearms-related offenses, as opposed to plea-bargaining them away.  Time will tell, but potentially a powerful tool against the Anti-Agenda.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raf:

House and Senate "Leadership-Approved" Bill "Packages" supposedly up for vote Today, Weds, Jun 30, in both RI House and Senate.  My fear is that the Antis will try to "Add" the worst Bills possible to the "packages", or demand an outright vote on the Separate (worst) Bills.

We'll see soon enough.  In any event, the prospect of such Bills coming to the floor of both RI House and Senate remains viable until State Legislature adjourns (very soon) until the Fall.    IDK if Bills previously submitted will still be "viable" in the "Fall" session of Legislature, but it's a certainty that such Bills will be re-submitted, if required.  The Antis aren't going away any time soon.

As to your previous post, yes, there were some shenanigans (ostensibly due to Covid restrictions) that occurred, and which, purely by coincidence, seemed to benefit the Antis.  OTOH, there are actually some reasonable, fair-minded folks in local Media who were alerted to the obvious unfairness of these things, and The Legislators were publicly embarrassed.  

Frankly, if we succeed in avoiding an so-called "Assault Weapons" Ban, and "HI-Cap" Mag Ban, I will be delighted.   A LOT of people, myself least amongst them, stepped up to the plate, and did their civic duty.   All I did was to write e-mails to State Legislators, House and Senate "Leadership Teams", and the Governor, e-mail the House and Senate Judiciary Committee Members, write Letters-to-the-Editor in various local papers, call up sympathetic radio talk shows, and kept alerting friends and relatives with pertinent info on a regular basis.  Many others did far, far more, and all credit is due them; I did what I consider a bare minimum, due to various personal circumstances.  If possible, will try to do more in the future, as circumstances allow.

The single Pro-Gun bill, In the "Package", which requires the State to fully inform on firearms charges and their disposition in the Courts might force the State to charge felons with firearms-related offenses, as opposed to plea-bargaining them away.  Time will tell, but potentially a powerful tool against the Anti-Agenda.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:10:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#6]
Entire "package' passed both RI House and Senate, and presumably will go to Governor for his signature.

We are "Safe" for a while, at least until Fall "Special Session" which is supposedly set to consider non-firearms bills.  It would technically be possible for Antis to get Anti-firearms bills released from (BOTH) Committee(s), and voted on then in House and Senate.  IOW, will require both chambers to get bills released, and both chambers to vote on them.

Absent that ploy, the remaining bills will die in committee, no doubt to be tinkered-with, and re-submitted in next Regular session, which begins shortly after New Year's day.  All they have to do is win once, we need to win every time.

Next year being an election year, the Antis might be reluctant to vote on any anti-gun legislation immediately prior to Election Day.  At least, this has been true in the past.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 9:10:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#7]
Double-tap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top