Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2024 10:50:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn]
Hey all, potential work trip to Boston area in February or March. I’ve done a substantial amount in the area but wondering if there’s any hidden gem suggestions from the local crew here. Going to just spitball to hopefully give you ideas of what I’m sort of looking for.

I will have all of a Monday with a rental car. I don’t care how far it is, but I only have the Monday.

I’ve been to the Springfield Armory, have visited the museum ships, have done the touristy stuff in town. Been to Fenway. Drove the entire cape. Been to Gloucester to see the Andrea Gale memorial.

Was really bummed to see that the American Heritage Museum is closed on Mondays because that would have been perfect, museum looks incredible.

Kittery Trading Post worth heading up to see the used gun selection? Would love some surplus shops or used gun stores to peruse. Always love a good find on the road to have shipped to my home FFL.

Lighthouses. Airplanes. Ships. Military History. American History. Guns.

Really appreciate you all giving this a read and any thoughts yall might have!
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Visiting the USS Nautilus SSN-571 museum in Groton, CT. The first nuclear submarine. It would be a 1.5ish hour drive from Boston along I-95.
https://ussnautilus.org/
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:27:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PerfectTurn] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LenS:
Visiting the USS Nautilus SSN-571 museum in Groton, CT. The first nuclear submarine. It would be a 1.5ish hour drive from Boston along I-95.
https://ussnautilus.org/
View Quote

Thanks LenS for the replyI’ve been on the Nautilus, awesome boat! Reminded me of some other things I’ve done in the area. Been to that library at Yale, which is incredible. Been to the oldest stone house the Whitfield House? Been to Plymouth. Have been to the Winchester and Colt facilities and have explored the CT capital. And have gotten ice cream at Kimball Farm Lancaster now that I look at my pictures

Wonder if a little round trip ferry ride to Nantucket would be worth it to check that box? Never been there! Looks like a ferry would put me there for 2 hours which could be enough time to get some grub and walk around a bit before heading back?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By PerfectTurn:

Thanks LenS for the replyI've been on the Nautilus, awesome boat!
View Quote
I visited that museum and toured the boat many years ago and my Wife and I enjoyed the tour. It's particularly interesting to those who have never been on a nuke before.

I worked on that boat back when it was still in active service, ~1973. That wasn't an enjoyable experience!

You've seen a lot in our area!
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LenS:
I visited that museum and toured the boat many years ago and my Wife and I enjoyed the tour. It's particularly interesting to those who have never been on a nuke before.

I worked on that boat back when it was still in active service, ~1973. That wasn't an enjoyable experience!

You've seen a lot in our area!
View Quote

That's amazing!!!  I've finished all of the battleships and carriers in the US and really wish the Salem was open, would love to see her again.  I'm originally from Cleveland, if you ever find yourself there, board the USS Cod.  She's the only WWII submarine museum in the US that you enter the original way that hasn't had her hull cut open for the public to enter, it's a lovely experience.

I used to have clients in NH and would fly into Manchester a lot, always got the tingles from the sheer beauty of your region.  

An old friend of mine lives up in Hampstead, NH, so I may try and drop in on him if schedules align as well, I remember that being a nice semi-rural area.

Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't recall any special cuts in the Nautilus hull for easy access.

I retired to NH from SE MA. I always loved all that NH has to offer.

Hempstead is only 30 minutes from where I currently live. I had to check a map, as I don't know where much of anything is other than a few towns/cities up here.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 8:33:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JAD] [#6]
Originally Posted By PerfectTurn:

Thanks LenS for the replyI’ve been on the Nautilus, awesome boat! Reminded me of some other things I’ve done in the area. Been to that library at Yale, which is incredible. Been to the oldest stone house the Whitfield House? Been to Plymouth. Have been to the Winchester and Colt facilities and have explored the CT capital. And have gotten ice cream at Kimball Farm Lancaster now that I look at my pictures

Wonder if a little round trip ferry ride to Nantucket would be worth it to check that box? Never been there! Looks like a ferry would put me there for 2 hours which could be enough time to get some grub and walk around a bit before heading back?
View Quote

Have you been to the Colt collection at the Connecticut State Library / Supreme Court House (across the street from the capital?

https://museumofcthistory.org/colt-collection/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top