Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2019 12:38:04 PM EDT
Hey Guys, it's your long forgotten resident Serb checking in.

Guys at GD suggested me to start a topic here for more answers.

Life happens, and it turns out I will have the opportunity to visit Los Angeles for a few weeks in September, so I am interested in recommendations on... everything. I know Commiefornia should be the last choice for that stuff, but you know what they say about a gift horse.

Anything you'd recommend as far as military history/shooting is concerned? I was originally planning to maybe drive out to Battlefield Vegas, but it's a bit outside of my budget for now, so I'd maybe look into something local. Interested in any kind of shooting to be honest, want to take the opportunity since I'm visiting the Land of the Free for the first time in my life.

Also, any fun activities you'd recommend? I was planning to check out USS Iowa and Tankland museum for starters.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Not too far from the USS Iowa is "Fort MacArthur."  Some has been converted to US Air Force facilities, mostly housing.  However, there is a museum area covering some of the old coastal defense batteries.  It's near the Korean Friendship Bell and the area usually offers good views of the greater L.A. area and out over the coastal waters to Catalina Island.  San Pedro, incidentally, has a large Croatian community, the Serbian community tends more towards the San Gabriel Valley area.

There used to be a large Navy presence in the Long Beach area but there's very little left.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 4:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Will you be free weekdays or only the weekend?  How much off-time? Full days or partial days? Any other interests besides shooting and military related?

I'm retired, but go to school full-time, but I still have a lot of free-time.  I'm in North San Diego County. We have a variety of stuff to see and do around here and not too bad of a drive from L.A. depending on traffic.

Indoor range right nearby too.  I'm down for 50_shooter's idea for a group meet up to go shooting too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will you be free weekdays or only the weekend?  How much off-time? Full days or partial days? Any other interests besides shooting and military related?

I'm retired, but go to school full-time, but I still have a lot of free-time.  I'm in North San Diego County. We have a variety of stuff to see and do around here and not too bad of a drive from L.A. depending on traffic.

Indoor range right nearby too.  I'm down for 50_shooter's idea for a group meet up to go shooting too.
View Quote
Still not 100% on the details since my free time depends on the work stuff, but I will most likely be available on the weekends, and weekdays of my last week there (23rd-27th). As soon as I get some kind of schedule, I'll let you guys know. Love the idea of a meetup, meeting more members of arfcom would kick ass, even without guns being involved.

I have no real specific interests in general, since it's my first time in the States, I'd just love to experience... stuff. America with all it's good and bad sides.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Calico Days 9/28, 9/29 if you can stretch it out.  Old desert Ghost Town, restored county park.  Seasonal event, gun fights, costumes, parade, burro races, kind of goofy, kind of crazy.  Would be quiet during the weeks, more activity on weekends.  Otherwise, Knott's Berry Farm has many similar attractions much closer - Knott owned the real Calico Ghost Town for a while and built a replica it as part of his amusement park in Buena Park, steam railroad, new rides, Ghost Town, gun fights, etc.   See also Knott's Scary Farm.  Leads up to Halloween with a massive haunted park experience.

Disneyland resort in Anaheim.  World famous, pretty expensive, should be calm midweek.  Universal City, in North Hollywood.  I haven't been since they added the Harry Potter experiences.  Again, try midweek.  Mostly entertainment, I think there is still a bit of the studio area on the tram tour?

If you're a sports fan, that's getting into the National Hockey League pre-season.  There are a couple of minor league teams but I don't think they have a pre-season?  Soccer with local pro teams, American football?  for the experience maybe?  L.A. has two NFL pro teams.    OTOH, for an experience which is likely less expensive and more interesting, marching bands, school spirit, etc., USC and UCLA will have some home games during that time frame.

Compared to Europe, Los Angeles is new so no "old cities" to wander through.  Some good museums.  The Autry Museum in Griffith Park is very western US history oriented.  Old west and Hollywood movie themes.  Getty Museum in Brentwood is very impressive.  Huntington Library and Galleries ( and Gardens) is a world class research library with a lot of famous art and historic books on display.

Hollywood is kind of famous and kind of an armpit.  It's not the glamour place it used to be.  But might be of interest.  Still a lot of film and tv production going on.  Griffith Park Planetarium is nearby, famous site overlooking Los Angeles, incredible view as sunset happens and millions of lights com on in the greater L.A. area.  A little difficult to find parking, look it up and plan around maybe doing some iof the shuttle services.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not too far from the USS Iowa is "Fort MacArthur."  Some has been converted to US Air Force facilities, mostly housing.  However, there is a museum area covering some of the old coastal defense batteries.  It's near the Korean Friendship Bell and the area usually offers good views of the greater L.A. area and out over the coastal waters to Catalina Island.  San Pedro, incidentally, has a large Croatian community, the Serbian community tends more towards the San Gabriel Valley area.

There used to be a large Navy presence in the Long Beach area but there's very little left.
View Quote
Yup.  Finally went to Ft. MacArthur the other day and it's neat.  I think one of the other parks nearby also has other gun batteries from when Ft. MacArthur was expanded during the WWII era.  Not sure about access.  Might as well check out Point Fermin while you're there.

Iowa is worth a visit, although the cooler tour is much more expensive.

Cabrillo Aquarium is there.  Also a maritime museum in San Pedro.  The SS Lane Victory.

Just missed Fleet Week.  Several warships were in port, among other cool stuff.  Not sure if the tall ships will still be around.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Calico Days 9/28, 9/29 if you can stretch it out.  Old desert Ghost Town, restored county park.  Seasonal event, gun fights, costumes, parade, burro races, kind of goofy, kind of crazy.  Would be quiet during the weeks, more activity on weekends.  Otherwise, Knott's Berry Farm has many similar attractions much closer - Knott owned the real Calico Ghost Town for a while and built a replica it as part of his amusement park in Buena Park, steam railroad, new rides, Ghost Town, gun fights, etc.   See also Knott's Scary Farm.  Leads up to Halloween with a massive haunted park experience.

Disneyland resort in Anaheim.  World famous, pretty expensive, should be calm midweek.  Universal City, in North Hollywood.  I haven't been since they added the Harry Potter experiences.  Again, try midweek.  Mostly entertainment, I think there is still a bit of the studio area on the tram tour?

If you're a sports fan, that's getting into the National Hockey League pre-season.  There are a couple of minor league teams but I don't think they have a pre-season?  Soccer with local pro teams, American football?  for the experience maybe?  L.A. has two NFL pro teams.    OTOH, for an experience which is likely less expensive and more interesting, marching bands, school spirit, etc., USC and UCLA will have some home games during that time frame.

Compared to Europe, Los Angeles is new so no "old cities" to wander through.  Some good museums.  The Autry Museum in Griffith Park is very western US history oriented.  Old west and Hollywood movie themes.  Getty Museum in Brentwood is very impressive.  Huntington Library and Galleries ( and Gardens) is a world class research library with a lot of famous art and historic books on display.

Hollywood is kind of famous and kind of an armpit.  It's not the glamour place it used to be.  But might be of interest.  Still a lot of film and tv production going on.  Griffith Park Planetarium is nearby, famous site overlooking Los Angeles, incredible view as sunset happens and millions of lights com on in the greater L.A. area.  A little difficult to find parking, look it up and plan around maybe doing some iof the shuttle services.
View Quote
If he wants to go out to Calico and the desert, and still wants to shoot with someone, that might be a good place to do it.  My preferred shooting spot is just over the mountain ridge from the ghost town in one of the valleys.  Much more freedom than any range (I don't bother other than the indoor one at LAX on a break or something, although now they charge extra if you don't buy their ammo, which I'm not doing with our stupid laws, so probably no more there, either).  I hate going to ranges here now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Weekend of 21st/22nd sounds awesome, I just need to lock in the time with my company, but I will be available 99%. Departing Serbia in 8 hours, and I should have more solid info over the weekend.

I just hope the TSA doesn't confiscate all of my booze
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Plan for now is to spend first 2 weeks in LA, maybe SF trip. Last week is for travel (car is provided, luckily) so I should be good
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys

You still available for Sunday of 22nd? I'd love if we could get a meetup organised somewhere within 1hr from LA area to do some shooting, or even just to share a beer
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#15]
What's the story on ammo at Angeles?  Range fees?  The bulk of my ammo, while lead-cored, will stick to a magnet, and with the new laws I will not be buying any more ammo in CA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#16]
@50_Shooter should be able to give us more info on that. Also, guys, since I can't buy ammo since I am not a resident, I will chip in for anything I use while we're at the range.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#17]
https://www.angelesshooting.com/ammo-restrictions/
Link Posted: 9/21/2019 9:20:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 2:01:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey Guys
Just got back to LA (was driving back from SF). Anyone else showing up tomorrow? Just wanted to check on when I should get there etc
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 5:48:54 AM EDT
[#20]
If I'm able to get there, it'll be late, like around 3PM, maybe.  Later if there's traffic, which there almost always seems to be these days going that direction.  It's easily an hour each way without traffic.

Also, last time I was there, there was no cell reception on almost the entire range property.  Those able to go or on their way should probably post here in advance so the rest know and can look for one another.  Might be tough to coordinate, otherwise, if the cell reception issue holds true for enough people.  This was a problem the first time I met a group there (at one of the private ranges), as I couldn't seem to find them and couldn't call anyone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#21]
No one?

I'm out. Friend dying of cancer just requested the eucharist, so I need to go to mass this afternoon/evening to get a host. No way I can work going to Angeles in there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Any updates guys, is anyone still planning to go out to the range? Keep me posted if anything changes, i reserved the day for this, but didnt gonout to the rangebalone since the website states they do not rent guns, and I didnt get a confirmation from anyone from arfcom that is coming
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No one?

I'm out. Friend dying of cancer just requested the eucharist, so I need to go to mass this afternoon/evening to get a host. No way I can work going to Angeles in there.
View Quote
Sorry to hear about your friend
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sorry, just got home after leaving out of town late last night and working an almost 12 hour shift! Sucks as I was really looking forward to doing some shooting today. How much longer are you here for?
View Quote
Flying out next Saturday, will be in town this week, except the two days to go to LV/Grand Canyon
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one?

Thanks.  She had wanted it during the week, but something is going on and she wants it ASAP.

What area are you staying in and what days will you be in town?  I rarely work weekdays outside of Mondays and Fridays, although I'm sure the opposite is true for most people here.

Not sure what your LV schedule looks like, but my favorite shooting spot is on the way to LV.  I'd rather go there than any public range in CA, that's for sure.  Outside of a couple of group meetings (gun rights activism related) at the private part of Angeles, I haven't patronized a proper outdoor range in CA in almost 8 years.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Hey guys
Headed to Vegas today, and driving back tomorrow already. Range plans didn't go through unfortunately due to work obligations of the arfcom members involved, so I'll probably go to a random indoor range before the end of the week for some plinking, if possible.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#28]
There is a decent size rifle match Saturday the 28th at West End Gun Club.  It starts at 7:00 a.m.  The range is about an hour to an hour and a half northeast of Los Angeles.  You will pass it off the 15 on your way to Vegas.  It’s at the Sierra exit near Lytle Creek/south of Glen Helen.

ETA:  Disregard.  I see you are flying out that day.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I can meet up with you at the Lytle Creek range (http://www.lytlecreekrange.com/), if you want to shoot a variety of stuff on Wed or Thur, or Fri.
Weather might be a factor though... we're expecting some thunderstorms in the area the next few days.
//Ben  ([email protected])
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hey guys
Headed to Vegas today, and driving back tomorrow already. Range plans didn't go through unfortunately due to work obligations of the arfcom members involved, so I'll probably go to a random indoor range before the end of the week for some plinking, if possible.
View Quote
LAX has long gun rentals in addition to handguns. Kinda obnoxious in that small space, but it's there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2019 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey Guys
Just got back to LA, looks like any gun adventures might have to wait till my next visit, since I have 2 whole days left in the States. If anyone is available in the LA/Valley area, let me know. And big thanks to everyone that offered range visits that didnt work because of the schedules, it's still much appreciated
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey Guys

Life's been hectic as usual, so I'm running a bit behind on the detailed writeup I promised. I'll try not to skip over anything of note:

Los Angeles was amazing. I mean, I spent most of the time (16/21 days) there, and it really is a massive place. Some of the size has been a detriment, since you have 1-2hr drives to wherever you want to go. That , along with my work schedule, stopped me from managing to visit a match one of the members here kindle invited me to, so I will have to do some shooting next time I visit the states.

Had 2 small trips, one to San Francisco, other one to Vegas.
Talk about polar opposites. San Francisco/Berkeley is like a goddamn hippy commune, I thought I was on candid camera on occasion. First step into downtown SF happened in a middle of an "Environment" rally,
where kids skipped school en masse to protest...global warming? Berkeley was even funnier, with smoking being banned OUTSIDE in some spots. And don't get me started on the paper straws, that crap is getting
ridiculous.
On the other end, there is Vegas. Plastic straws all the way baby (among other things :D). Vegas is really like in the movies, with all of it's highs and lows. I was traveling with the GF, so I couldn't
partake in a lot of stuff Vegas has to offer, but it was still awesome.

On the way to SF, we stopped by at Bakersfield and I fell in love. I know it's far from your Midwest small towns, but it has that "Americana" vibe more than all 3 of the big cities combined, and I loved it.
Had a burger at Moo Creamery, and you could see by the kind of patrons walking that it would be a lovely place to live in. Again, my exposure was VERY limited, so I might be mistaken.

Had lots of amazing food on the trip in general, from Brazilian steak (I know guys, Texas BBQ is the best BBQ but I couldn't make it there this time), to Persian and Japanese cuisine. Reflects well on the melting pot of
ethnicities US is built on, when those people were willing to work together on a higher goal.

Saw a lot of homeless people/beggars in the streets, which IMHO is... insane. There are so much opportunities to earn money in the States, that I can't figure out how anyone ever goes hungry. It might sound
insensitive, but coming from a country where ~$3500/yr is the average paycheck, I find the job market difference to be amazing.

Also, had a mandatory trip to Walmart to see if all the memes are true (they bloody are, every single one of them) and bought my first genuine (but cheapo :D) Spyderco, to have a memento from the trip
that I can carry on the daily.

I glossed over a lot of stuff, so ask me if you want to know anything else. All in all, best trip of my life so far, and I can't wait for the next opportunity to visit and possibly even take a shot of chasing
the American Dream.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Glad you had a good time when you were here, sorry we couldn't meet up and do some shooting.

It never fails, whenever I try to plan on doing something, it seems that my company somehow knows and makes sure I have to work! If you ever get back here to SoCal, maybe we can do a little better planning and go shooting. The desert would be a better place but requires extra planning to do.

Plus, I think more guys would rather shoot in the desert than at a range and deal with RO's.
View Quote
That's why I suggested it, assuming circumstances would have permitted.  Ranges have gotten ridiculous to the point that I don't really patronize them anymore (I only go for events hosted at a range, and that's it).  Desert is nice if you find a good spot (which excludes places like Hodge and Wild Wash Roads, or anything within a couple of miles of the freeway).

I'm probably going out on Friday morning to my spot to zero on a round I want to try out and see how it does at 500 yards.  Good chance I won't see another soul as long as I'm out by the late afternoon.  Heck, I've spent a whole weekend camped out there and not seen anybody (not a guarantee these days, though; too many people know about the spot now; weekdays are very quiet, though).  No one to bother me, and I can do my own thing.  You can set up for longer ranges, too.  My buddy who showed me the spot said he was shooting to 800 yards there the other day.  Also, no one's going to get on my case if I decide I want a cold beer or something.

In general, there is a lot more freedom to do cool things out in the desert.  You can sometimes do them at private gun clubs (like West End), but not at the public ranges.  With the right geography, you can set up some tactical shooting courses and such.  Also no issues carrying in a hlster and practicing drawing and firing (not sure any public range allows this).  Plus, you can turn it into camping, or a BBQ, or something and have a good ol' time.

Definitely worth it if he comes back and can manage.  As long as I don't have to work (been getting called in at the last minute a lot on the weekends lately, though), I'm down for that.  I do think it'd be a lot more fun than going to Angeles.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah, the desert is more fun but it does require more planning as it takes more time to get there. From the Valley to the place I go to would take most people 3 hours or more to get there. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person that absolutely refuses to go to Hodge Rd., there's to many good places to go in the desert!

The place that I've been going to for decades, you can set up targets out to 2000+ yards with a mountain as a backstop. Plus it's big enough to host at least 100 people.  That won't be happening ever again but it was fun, just to many people to have to look out for.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24023/ap_target-1160336.jpg

That plate was set out at 1000 yards, those are .50 projos still stuck in it.
View Quote
My spot takes me about an hour and a half without traffic, but I'm on the eastern edge of LA County.

I'm pretty sure I've been to your spot, or near it.  Sounds a lot like where I used to go off the 395, between the 58 and Johannesburg.  The place to which I currently go can also host a large group for camping and such as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top