Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2020 4:38:02 PM EDT
Work is sending me to just south of San Fransisco, Redwood City, in March for a while and I was wondering what items I should try to see/do while there?
As I will be there for a week+ my family will there be there with me, kids ages 3-11, so suggestions need to be kid/family friendly.

I have been to California several times before, but never this far north, so I'm not familiar with the area. Anywhere to avoid?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Winchester Mystery House

Muir Woods, or any of the peninsula Redwood tree grove parks.  If you go to Muir you can combine with a visit to the Marin Headlands portions of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.

In the City itself -

The Museums and Japanese Tea Gardens in Golden Gate Park.

Chinatown and Cable Cars

Fishermans Wharf and the area between Fort Mason and the Ferry Building.  Maritime Museum, Ghiradelli Square, Pier 39, Maybe walk up the stairs to Coit Tower.

Harbor Tour

Caveat, these are all places where I had fun as a kid, our kids had fun there.  Not sure what the current atmosphere is.  All SHOULD be safe for a family.  They're keystone attractions for a family visiting.  I haven't been there in several years

A little further out of town -

Point Lobos State Reserve - a treasure of experience where the land and sea join in a wonderland of sights and sounds.

Monterey Acquarium
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Places to avoid -

Some are going to say the whole place. Haven't been there for years, so I might not totally disagree, but at a minimum, most of Oakland, Richmond, Berkeley.  There are nice areas over there, but not much for kids to do or see.

San Francisco, I'm not current on areas, but outside of the previous comments, I'm not sure what is worth seeing with kids.  Maybe a baseball game at Pac Bell Park (whatever it's called).  Apparently it
s a very shitty place.  Too bad because it used to be a lot of fun to visit with kids, but they've apparently really fucked it up

East San Jose

I would probably still recommend a trip to Yosemite.  It's going to be crowded and expensive.  Get up in to the high country, if you can.  Missouri, it isn't.  The kids and you will remember the beauty.

We'll try and schedule an earthquake for you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a few hours and drive over the Bay Bridges, stop out on Treasure Island.  If you can stop at the Visitor Area by the south end Toll Plaza and the Golden Gate.  Walk a little way out, if the youngest don't freak out
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Point Bonita Lighthouse at Marin Headlands
Santa Cruz Boardwalk
Walk/ride bikes across the Golden Gate
Alcatraz
Angel Island
top of Mt Diablo
Point Reyes National Seashore
House of Prime Rib
Sausalito is a neat area to walk/bike/people watch on the weekends
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you everyone for the replies. It looks like there will be several close by options for the family.
Muir woods looks awesome along with Marin Headlands. Plus they're right across the Golden Gate Bridge that we wanted to see anyways.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:29:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Monterey/Carmel, the aquarium.  Fisherman's wharf there is quite a bit less hectic and crushed by tourists.  Dennis the Menace Park.  Not sure what still there.  Early attempt at going beyond jungle gyms, swings and monkey bars with  slippery steel slides on concrete hills, rebar and expanded steel "planes" and "rockets" for climbing, used to be able to climb all over a steam engine, hedge maze.  Great fun for kids, can't imagine anything like that being built today.

Point Lobos State Reserve small but spectacular coastline "park" with crashing waves, rocky coves, sea lion rocks, poison oak (stay on the trails) one of the most notable natural areas.

Near Santa Cruz - Roaring Camp and Big Trees a steam powered narrow gauge tourist train in the redwoods.

There would likely be some young elephant seals at Ano Nuevo State Park, near Pescadero - on the coast between San Francisco and Santa Cruz.  check with the state park about reservations for guided walks.

You could see a good bit of the Monterey area on a long day from the Bay Area.  Consider reservations for the aquarium.  You'd probably be ahead of Easter vacations for schools but more tend to move the Spring Break around a little more and if on break, the aquarium can get crowded.  Two days would be more relaxed.

Even more time, continue south of the Monterey area to Big Sur, farther on is Hearst San Simeon with Hearst Castle, more elephant seals at Piedras Blancas, eventually Morro Bay then to San Luis Obispo and back north on Highway 101.  101 is freeway through mostly agricultural area, Highway 1 from Monterey to SLO is two lane road with the northern section famous for rocky cliff edge drive.  But that's not a really comfortable one day drive from the Bat area.

In San Francisco, there are several museums and the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park that are kid suitable.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I live about 35-40 minutes away from SF in the east bay, there have been some really good answers here.  Marin headlands is very much worth checking out, you’ll all like it.

Exploratorium you and your kids would like.

Santa Cruz boardwalk is a good family choice.  If you do a day there also perhaps check out Roaring Camp train ride, it’s a lot of fun.  Mystery Spot as well.

If you’d like a good dinner down that way, check out Shadowbrook — google pics of it.  It’s really cool, great food, and not over the top expensive.

P.S. — before the people who never actually go to SF start chiming in about human shit or needles everywhere — I’ve been to SF way more times than I can count and I’ve literally never seen either anywhere.  Not saying it doesn’t exist, but it’s not the issue some would have you believe it is.

You will for sure see crazies / homeless / stinky people milling about though, but if you’ve ever been to any city you already know that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Golden Gate Park

Crissy Fields and hike up and under the Golden Gate

Marin Headlands for some great easy hikes, an old Nike Missle silo, and some history of how we defended the port.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:08:24 PM EDT
[#9]
The biggest problem we had the last couple of times we visited San Francisco was traffic and parking.   The greater Fisherman's Wharf area has parking but not inexpensive but that's close to things kids might like, the wharf, cable cars, museums, etc.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#10]
My suggestion is Lyft anywhere in SF, aside from the parts perhaps well away from touristy areas.  I typically BART in, then if not walking distance Lyft it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take a few hours and drive over the Bay Bridges, stop out on Treasure Island.  If you can stop at the Visitor Area by the south end Toll Plaza and the Golden Gate.  Walk a little way out, if the youngest don't freak out
View Quote
I would just add that you'll get the most out of this if you're doing in during "non-traffic" times.... and also good weather.

Like a Wednesday at noon type of deal if you want to be in and out of there. LOL.

Good luck OP. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe check out The Palace of Fine Arts.

I believe it's the only remaining structure left over from the PPIE.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Golden Gate Bridge

Somewhere around there is the Nancy Pelosi road, which we stumbled across
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
USS Hornet museum in Alameda.  Bunch of distilleries/wine and breweries within walking distance of the USS Hornet too.  Take the ferry from the Embarcadero to Alameda.  The ferry ride itself is a great way to see the bay.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
USS Hornet museum in Alameda.  Bunch of distilleries/wine and breweries within walking distance of the USS Hornet too.  Take the ferry from the Embarcadero to Alameda.  The ferry ride itself is a great way to see the bay.
View Quote
I’ll second this, USS Hornet is great.

While you’re there, if you’re into wine, check out Rockwall winery right down the street.  Great view of the city, and it’s cool being at a winery on an retired military base.  Great food from Scolari’s there too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#16]
How much free time are you going to have and what type of stuff do you like doing?  Traffic can be horrendous and will really eat into your free time for some of the suggested places.  Where will you be in Redwood City?  I lived in redwood shores for a long time and grew up in San Carlos so I know the area you will be in pretty well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top