Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2021 11:04:25 PM EDT
I will be visiting friends in Nashville area next month and I am confused and could use some help and have some questions.

I have a VA resident permit (renewed 3/2021)

According to this link with a regular CCP...

...May not carry at any school or university (public or private)

However it looks like with a ECP handguns are allowed in parking lots. Is this correct?

My main concern is I may be in a vehicle in the parking lot when kids are picked up from school and am wondering if this is legal with my VA resident permit?

Is my permit recognized first of all? (think it is)
Is it considered a ECP or "regular" permit if a non-resident carries concealed with a VA permit?

I know you have constitutional carry now (congrats BTW) so does this make a difference when on school property?

Thanks for your help.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 3:47:19 AM EDT
[#1]
What would you even be doing in a school parking lot that would bring the attention of a school resource officer?  I regularly pick my kid up without incident with both a truck gun and pistol on my body without bringing attention to myself. If I have to go inside I disarm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#2]
See Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1309

"(B) It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property."

For the most part, in Tn, your vehicle is considered real property when it comes to carrying a firearm.  This prevents employers from prohibiting any individual with a handgun carry permit recognized by Tennessee to store a firearm and ammunition in his or her car parked on the employer's property, subject to certain conditions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#3]
TN (and AL) recognize all other state permits regardless of reciprocity, so you're good there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 6:40:47 AM EDT
[#4]
https://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

Also FYI - “no gun” signs carry the weight of law.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What would you even be doing in a school parking lot that would bring the attention of a school resource officer?
View Quote

This.

Unless OP be like:

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top