Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2020 9:27:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyKnifeUSMC]
The wife, 9 year old daughter and I are still on for a first time trip to Maui next week. I wanted to ask the local experts for some advice/recommendations. I’ve watched a ton of YouTube stuff but you all that are there are my go to sources.

We’re staying at the Grand Wailea Maui (if we can get a room upgrade any specific tower or room type?) . As much as I try to avoid the usual “tourist” places we do plan on doing the following:

- Lahaina Luau  (was recommend by a friend who has been to Maui several times. Said this place is old school traditional and better than the ones hosted by the resorts.

- Haleakala Sunrise tour (any specific tour company? I’d rather not drive up there the first morning myself). Colleague recommended doing it very first morning as we will be up due to the time change anyway.

- Whale watching boat tours  (any recommendations on who to use?).

- Road to Hana. Originally planned to take a van tour but I’m going to download the app and drive it ourselves. Do bits over our week long stay instead of all in one day. Hopefully I won’t get run off the road or have a head on with the one lane portions.

- Mama’s Fish House: a couple friends really rave about this place. However, we may not go due to what some have commented on the ‘net about being so highly overpriced, views aren’t as good as some other locations. Etc. The other recommendations were Seahouse, Kimo’s, Leilani’s, Sarento’s.

What local coffee maker makes the best Kona coffee?

Local breakfast Mom/Pop diners?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Mama's Fish house is a pretty cool place and the food is pretty good but I agree it is really over priced... but then again just about everything in Hawaii is over priced, so act accordingly. If you have never been there, I would go just for the 1 time experience. One of the coolest places we went to for morning coffee is a little place call "Grandma's Coffee House". They have awesome food there and the coffee is really good. I recommend getting the Cafe Mocha. I doesn't look like much when you get there but don't let the looks fool ya. It's a pretty popular place and I definite recommend going there. The Road to Hana is cool but a rather long drive. I recommend driving it in a convertible. You will enjoy it much better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#2]
forget about kona coffee, maui coffee is better. Akamai coffee company make the best that I know of.

If you're going to the Haleakala crater the Kula Lodge is a nice stop to get breakfast or lunch. (grandmas is good too)

I would also recommend Maverick helicopter tours. I did the one that went over the west maui mountains over to Molokai and back. Amazing views of the mountains and got to see a few whales breaching on the way back from molokai.

If you're staying in wailea then any of the beaches in makena are nice.
I had fun just driving around the whole island exploring. Amazing scenery driving to Hana and continuing around the backside, lots of places to stop and enjoy the views. wherever you drive just don't be in a hurry, and enjoy the views along the way.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses everyone. Unfortunately, with everything going on (virus) we decided to cancel our trip.

Postponed is a better word.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rocco1695:
Thanks for the responses everyone. Unfortunately, with everything going on (virus) we decided to cancel our trip.

View Quote

That was going to be my recommendation.  Not a good time for a visit.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rocco1695:

Pretty much everything is shut down due to the proclamations by the governor and mayors. Plus they are seriously considering a 14 day quarantine upon arrival into the state.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The State of Hawaii governor is placing a mandatory 14 day quarantine for out of state arrivals starting on Thursday.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HI5-0:
The State of Hawaii governor is placing a mandatory 14 day quarantine for out of state arrivals starting on Thursday.
View Quote

How you holding up?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]

How you holding up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

How you holding up?

So far, so good. Maui mayor has declared a stay home, work from home directive effective on Wednesday.  

Hoarders are still snapping up all the toilet paper and white rice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 2:10:00 AM EDT
[#9]

So far, so good. Maui mayor has declared a stay home, work from home directive effective on Wednesday.  

Hoarders are still snapping up all the toilet paper and white rice.
View Quote

LOL, Kamuela Foodland had rice with a limit of one per customer but zero TP or Kleenex.

Not sure how that stay home order is going to affect my Kahoolawe contract, I'm supposed to go back in a couple of weeks and again at the end of the moth to continue brush fire recovery.  I'll probably end up flying direct from Kona via helo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top