Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2023 4:26:53 PM EDT
Will be there in a couple weeks for about a week for work. Staying in the Central Islip area.

Anything good places to eat at or go see nearby? Will be pretty busy with work in the day but who knows.

Link Posted: 5/25/2023 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Minor league baseball... South Shore Sportsmen.. an OK gun store.

What do you like to eat?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Central Islip...
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Robert Moses beach is pretty nice
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Plenty to do around the area, but if you’re coming from CO, go visit the beach or jump on a party boat and go fishing one night. Being surrounded by water has its benefits. Some good food and drinks in Islip and Bayshore. Or take a ride to Port Jeff and walk around town after dinner.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 10:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you here for an Ms-13 initiation or something?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you here for an Ms-13 initiation or something?
View Quote

I'm too much of nerd for something that cool. I get to test some electronics in a lab, the winner of my rfp is out there.

I'm stoked they beat the lab in Chicago...
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Plenty to do around the area, but if you’re coming from CO, go visit the beach or jump on a party boat and go fishing one night. Being surrounded by water has its benefits. Some good food and drinks in Islip and Bayshore. Or take a ride to Port Jeff and walk around town after dinner.
View Quote

I may have to go fishing if I have time. I like eating fish too, here in CO we don't get very good seafood, it's kind of old by the time it gets flown and driven to wherever, and that's the fresh stuff.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Central Islip...
View Quote

I just noticed there's a Federal courthouse very close to my hotel.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I keep telling the Marshals about piles of needles in the parking lot, but no one cares
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 12:19:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Minor league baseball... South Shore Sportsmen.. an OK gun store.

What do you like to eat?
View Quote

I like most any food except Indian or Thai.

Probably would enjoy eating things like seafood and Italian which are less common or not fresh around CO.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.whitecapfish.com/

Decent seafood very close to where your staying. (Not the best area FYI try and head south into East Islip vs North).
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I keep telling the Marshals about piles of needles in the parking lot, but no one cares
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I routinely find needles in parks and such in my own city, so it should be just like home. When I say park I mean children's playgrounds, and this is Colorado Springs too. Should be just like home then
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:15:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
http://www.whitecapfish.com/

Decent seafood very close to where your staying. (Not the best area FYI try and head south into East Islip vs North).
View Quote

Thanks for the recommendation, and the heads up. It can be hard to pick an area when you've never been to a place before and have limited intel.

Link Posted: 5/27/2023 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#14]
There’s a number of good seafood restaurants along the south shore. Blue Point, Sayville, and Oakdale all have places right on the water.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes the Senator Pothole (Alfonse D'Amato) Federal Courthouse is there along with the Long Island Ducks stadium (cannot remember what they call it now - I was there when it was the EAB stadium but that bank has been gone for decades and they renamed the place at least once - watched a game there in the late Whitey Ford's personal suite). Just noting that as another post stated, Central Islip is an MS-13 area and tends to be an area with a lot of crime, drugs, etc. and a place you usually want to keep the foot on the pedal to pass through. A little further east you get to East Islip which is a nice community (know a few people from there).
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Give yourself plenty of travel time.  I went down to the island for a wedding not long ago and it didn't matter which route we tried it took us hours to get through the city (on highways) to the island.

At one point our hotel on the island was 40 miles away with an ETA of 1 hour 30 minutes.  

But I guess it's all subjective because I am not used to stop and go stuck in traffic for hours.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll pack my patience for the travel, I fly into JFK and get my rent-a-wreck there. I lived in Los Angeles for a while so I have spent some time in tailbacks, only place where I have sat in true gridlock at 11pm...

Have to keep my head on a swivel for the security issue, should have consulted the hive beforehand, too late now. Hotel I'm staying at is a major chain and highly rated so it shouldn't be too bad. I do come from a town with some very serious crime issues (dependent on region also) and I also lived in a Crips hood in Houston years ago too so it's not something I haven't dealt with before, including unarmed. Some old coot named John Farnam has some line about not going stupid places at stupid times with stupid people and that has served me well in life.

I can't blame NY entirely though because work travel precludes my carrying of arms before they do, if I check luggage I'll have a couple small folders (no pocket clips I stopped doing that, got stopped by building/base guards too much) and that's it...
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Forgot to mention that you have Connetequot State Park right around the corner as well as Bayard Cutting Arboretum in Great River only a few minutes away. If you do any outdoor activities like hiking or fly fishing, get some sawyers tick repellent to keep the critters at bay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top