Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2019 2:10:06 PM EDT
I am taking a solo trip to the NE soon for my vacation this year. I've never been to NH and will be spending a few days there as part of it.

I booked a campsite at Crawford Notch and plan to hike Mt. Washington, other than that I have no clue what I will be doing...

Any places I should seek out to visit? I like noteworthy natural features, small museums or historical sites and animal preserves/zoos best.

Also, anyplace that should be avoided for any reason? I'm not really worried about safety as much as a crowded tourist trap.

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am taking a solo trip to the NE soon for my vacation this year. I've never been to NH and will be spending a few days there as part of it.

I booked a campsite at Crawford Notch and plan to hike Mt. Washington, other than that I have no clue what I will be doing...

Any places I should seek out to visit? I like noteworthy natural features, small museums or historical sites and animal preserves/zoos best.

Also, anyplace that should be avoided for any reason? I'm not really worried about safety as much as a crowded tourist trap.

Thanks all!
View Quote

There’s tons to do however please be prepared when hiking Mt. Washington. Check the weather at the summit and bring clothing and footwear that are suitable for the conditions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There’s tons to do however please be prepared when hiking Mt. Washington. Check the weather at the summit and bring clothing and footwear that are suitable for the conditions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks all!

Very much this ^^^^^^ The whites in NH are dangerous year round, not uncommon to have sudden severe weather roll in so plan accordingly IMO.

Along the seacoast there's the Albacore sub, Odiorne point state park which was a WW2 coastal battery, and science center , Fort Stark which is opposite Odiorne, Strawberry banke in Portsmouth, Woodman museum in Dover.

There's lots of little hidden small places. Closer to where you'll be staying is the Wright WW2 museum though I haven't been there it's on my list whenever I do a bike run around Winnipesaukee, I just keep forgetting to stop in . There are a couple train routes out of Conway, Steamship around Winni, Hikes along 93 like the basin or the Franconia notch loop.

My favorite place to eat up in that area is the Red parka.

If you make it down to the seacoast area (I have a limited schedule) but I'm in your line of work and maybe we can arrange a meet up. Shoot me an IM if interested.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Absolutely, thank you. I've been out west to Phimont before and spent a lot of time in the Smokies too.

I intentionally planned for a few days with no firm plans so I can make the hike when the weather seems best, or wait it out a few days then go later if needed
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you find yourself on 93 coming or going hit up Shooters Outpost in Hooksett, cool gun shop and the owner has an amazing NFA museum attached with some really rare and cool stuff.

Have fun

Thurman
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Joe's spaghetti shed in Glen
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 4:21:03 AM EDT
[#6]
The Canterbury Shaker Village isn't too far from where you are.  It was the most recent to close of the Shaker village, so it is more intact than most.

You could get a whole other vacations worth of things to do in the Portsmouth, NH area.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center is one for critters.  Squam Lake

If you need a lazy day to recover from your hike up the mountain, take a cruise on the Mount Washington on Lake Winnipesaukee and enjoy the scenery.  Mount Washington Cruises

Castle in the Clouds is another option. https://www.castleintheclouds.org/  Beautiful building, and plenty of trails.

If you want to hike on an ancient volcano, head for the Ossipee Mountains.  https://www.plymouth.edu/eportfolio/view/view.php?profile=mmcgarry&page=volcanoes-in-new-hampshire
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Squam Lakes Natural Science Center is one for critters.  Squam Lake

If you need a lazy day to recover from your hike up the mountain, take a cruise on the Mount Washington on Lake Winnipesaukee and enjoy the scenery.  Mount Washington Cruises

Castle in the Clouds is another option. https://www.castleintheclouds.org/  Beautiful building, and plenty of trails.

If you want to hike on an ancient volcano, head for the Ossipee Mountains.  https://www.plymouth.edu/eportfolio/view/view.php?profile=mmcgarry&page=volcanoes-in-new-hampshire
View Quote
The Mail Boat cruise and the Squam Lakes Preserve both sound very interesting. Thanks so much!
Link Posted: 8/25/2019 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
There are tons of waterfalls near Mt. Washington, ranging from roadside, to a healthy hike up a mountain. A drive across the Kancamagus Highway is a must. From Lincoln at the end, drive up the interstate back up to Rt302 to get back to Crawford notch. The Flume and Basin are right off the interstate. Flume takes hours, Basin less than an hour.

Up until the leaves all fall off, everything will be packed with tourists.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Joe's spaghetti shed in Glen
View Quote
This has been mentioned a few times. I've eaten there, and I liked it. What's the story/connection with ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This has been mentioned a few times. I've eaten there, and I liked it. What's the story/connection with ARFCOM?
View Quote
It's the best spaghetti around, duh...

Actually it's more like @dalegribble87 and I have made jokes about it for like 10 years while hiking up there so now we recommend it to out of staters whenever they ask for suggestions on places to eat .

Never actually been there myself hahah
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There are tons of waterfalls near Mt. Washington, ranging from roadside, to a healthy hike up a mountain. A drive across the Kancamagus Highway is a must. From Lincoln at the end, drive up the interstate back up to Rt302 to get back to Crawford notch. The Flume and Basin are right off the interstate. Flume takes hours, Basin less than an hour.

Up until the leaves all fall off, everything will be packed with tourists.
View Quote
I did that route last week on my bike. Unfortunately the Kanc isn't what it used to be. There's a lot of tree growth now that blocks a lot of great views that used to be (talking 20 years ago). Not to mention all the out of state assholes doing 5-20MPH below the speed limit and stopping in the middle of the road practically.  Lots of good hikes off 93 and Crawford Notch is awesome with lots of things to do along the way.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's the best spaghetti around, duh...

Actually it's more like @dalegribble87 and I have made jokes about it for like 10 years while hiking up there so now we recommend it to out of staters whenever they ask for suggestions on places to eat .

Never actually been there myself hahah
View Quote
Hands down best sketti around. Served on paper plates and plastic sporks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If you can, hit up the Sunrise Shack in Glen.   great breakfast/lunch & local beer selection!
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, the trip was brilliant!

The dry river area of Crawford Notch is very interesting and was a great place to camp. I did also make it up Mt Washington without incident as well as several shorter hikes along 302 and the Kancamagus highway. Except for the summit of Mt Washington, nothing seemed very crowded anywhere.

Food at the Sunrise Shack, Spaghetti Shed, Red Parka and a place called the Hole in the Wall (in Conway) was all terrific.

I also did visit Squam lake on the day it rained during my stay, I enjoyed that too!

I was blown away by how friendly and down to earth everyone was, and completely understand the term "Masshole" now as well haha.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top