Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2023 9:05:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker]
We're thinking that NW Arkansas will be a great area from which to view the upcoming solar eclipse.  Never been there, and I'm guessing that the crowds will be significantly less than in more urbanized parts of the country.  

Our trip will be April 4-9, 2024.  We'd like to rent a camper van so we can travel around the mountains checking out waterfalls,  mountaintop trails, etc..  We are very outdoors-oriented - normally primitive/boondocking tent campers - and would do this trip with our own Jeep & tent rig if the path of totality were close to us.

Another option we're considering is VRBO or rental cabins - maybe two different spots for two nights each.

We have the choice of flying out of Tampa, St. Pete/Clearwater, or Sarasota.  We could fly into either Branson or Little Rock (or other suggestions?), but the camper van rental location would need to be close enough to shuttle from the airport.

All suggestions and input are welcome.  I know very little about the sights and natural wonders of your fine state.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 11:44:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stevec223] [#1]
Look at flying into XNA depending on what you plan to see.

Ozark Highland trail.   White Rock area.  

Buffalo River area.

Two different areas, pick one if you only plan to be here a few days.

Edit:

I looked at the predicted path of the eclipse.  White rock is north of the path.  Buffalo River is on the north edge of the path.

It looks like you would be more central along the path in the Hot Springs area/ Lake Ouachita area  Or further northeast in the Bull Shoal /Norfork area.  If looking at these area Little Rock Airport will be better to fly into.  Of course that is the Clinton airport now
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Mt Magazine hasn't been mentioned yet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
@flcracker
I live in Maumelle, 5 bed house with plenty of room. Let me know if you guys need a place to crash! The wife and I have a small trailer (hiker trailer) that we MAY use to go see the eclipse. Or we might just head out for the day
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cpermd:
Mt Magazine hasn't been mentioned yet.
View Quote

Absolutely beautiful place...
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 7:16:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: flcracker] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DCPhoenix:
@flcracker
I live in Maumelle, 5 bed house with plenty of room. Let me know if you guys need a place to crash! The wife and I have a small trailer (hiker trailer) that we MAY use to go see the eclipse. Or we might just head out for the day
View Quote

@DCPhoenix thank you so very much for your kind and generous offer!

We've booked two places for the time we'll be there.  April 4 - 7 near Magazine, and April 7 - 9 near Mountain View.  

Now to start mapping out waterfall/mountaintop/cave/whitewater adventures.  All suggestions are welcomed!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be out in Greer's checking out the Solar apocalypse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top