Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 11:14:25 PM EDT
https://www.wavy.com/news/breaking-news/virginia-state-sen-ben-chafin-dies-from-covid-19-complications-elected-officials-local-leaders-respond/

Sad to hear but even a sadder day for Virginians. We all know just how slim the Virginia senate is and I just wonder if the dems will use this opportunity to try and push some of their more radical agendas through this year?

Anyone have any info on what can happen?
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are leaving it vacant for the session. Since the death occurred when the General Assembly wasn't in Session, only the Governor has the authority to call a special election. The GOP Leader can only call an election for vacancies that occur when the legislature is in session. Even if the legislature were in session, the session is only supposed to last 30 days, and an election would take a couple of weeks.

If you are asking specifically about HB961, it is impossible to know.

Levine said he is deferring action. Northam said he isn't pushing it due to the short session. They are worried about what the Redistricting Commission/VA Supreme Court is going to come up with in regards to the House of Delegates.

The gang of 4 (Lewis, Deeds, Petersen and Edwards) all said that they wanted a VCC study and report before they acted. The VCC hasn't produced a report or study yet, although that is the sole reason that Northam stacked the Commission the way that he did.

The vacancy does change the number slightly that the Dems would need.

It was 21-19 before. Now it is 21-18.

Lewis is the toughest nut of the 4 to crack and has made the most direct statements against HB961.

Of the remaining three, Edwards has been the most coy. Deeds and Petersen have said that they are for some version of a ban "in principle" but don't know how to do it.

Deeds and Edwards were fairly forceful in committee against some of the games that the leftist rats were playing.

I think we are 19 (all of the GOP + Lewis) instead of 20 right now. The rats are at 17 (all of the rats except Deeds, Edwards and Petersen).  They now only need two of the three to fold, instead of all three so that "rape em all" can break a tie.
View Quote

Very good summarization. Except I don't understand Edwards being a nay this last time. He has been an anti gun faggot for as long as I have paid attention. His area is Roanoke and I don't think even with the rural parts, he would have much GOP opposition.

That said, Va giving Pedo China Joe a 10% victory certainly will give the 4 dems, less so lewis, more room to vote yes for the ban. Plus the VCC, as you alluded to, will give a rubber stamp to all gun control. The Va SAFE Act is now a certainty, it's just a matter of how soon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the summary.

Looks like nationally we're going to have a 2 branch government. That's too bad. I'm going to guess there is going to be a big surge of gun sales and ammo sale in the coming weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top