Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2020 5:49:48 PM EDT
I am looking for nice stuff to do in that area.  Will be taking a side trip to Acadia.  Don't need to see Portland or go shopping in Freeport.

ETA:

Got my flights (air miles) and car (9 days SUV for $430) last year.  Everything finally aligned.  Mills has pulled her head out of her ass enough to let some shit open.  Job tried canceling my trip but my supervisor went to bat for me.  Can't wait!  May have to go to Maine Military Supply while I am there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
fort knox is interesting.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Ft. Knox,  Mt Battie in Camden,  Owlshead museum if you like old cars.  Old Ft. Western in Augusta.  Various golf courses in the area.  Stop by A&G in Fairfield try your hand at the gun claw/carnival game thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ft. Knox,  Mt Battie in Camden,  Owlshead museum if you like old cars.  Old Ft. Western in Augusta.  Various golf courses in the area.  Stop by A&G in Fairfield try your hand at the gun claw/carnival game thing.
View Quote

Nice!  Mt. Battie may be on the list as there is also a waterfall near there at the ocean IIRC.  Ft. Western is an idea.  If my father in law shows up, we may hit the links.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 12:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The pond with a boat is the only thing to see in Vassalboro. I'm sure that will be quiet and relaxing. Actually, if you go to the Police Academy at Oak Grove you can probably catch an awesome sunset view over the Kennebec Valley, probably ten or 15 minute drive tops from wherever you are in Vassalboro.

Acadia (Mount Desert Island) is a must if you've never been. Drive the loop road, stop to see the sights. The lighthouse at Bass Harbor is a nice spot too.

Fort Knox and the observatory on the way.
If you have more than one day for Acadia, check out Schoodic Point. One of my favorite places in the Park. (not on MDI)

If you like Mexican food, you have to go to Vazquez in Milbridge, hands down the best in the state, no competition.

If you like museums,
1.) the State Museum in Augusta is fantastic IMHO, and its very inexpensive admission.
2.) Maine Maritime Museum in Bath, and you can get a nice view of the destroyers at the yard.
3.) Cole Transportation Museum. Awesome place, might want to see if they are open, they were closed for covid last time I looked.

couple ideas, I'll come back and post more if I think of some.

eta- if you drive up Mt Battie in Camden, also be certain to check out the Breakwater in Rockland. And Owls Head State Park is almost always cool and peaceful in the summer even when the coast is hot and crowded. Maine State Prison showroom in Warren would be a cool shop to stick your head in and look around in that area also.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I did the Maine State Museum as a kid on a field trip before moving south. I know tons of stuff from Lewiston south but lack info further north. I’ve done Acadia as a teen but want to take the wife and kids.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It's happening.  Plan to do a cabbage island clam bake.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a bunch of neat little wineries and distilleries with tasting rooms in the area if that’s your thing.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a bunch of neat little wineries and distilleries with tasting rooms in the area if that’s your thing.
View Quote

I knew about breweries and such but not distilleries or wineries. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a place in pittston makes good whiskey

http://www.chadwickscraftspirits.com/home/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top