Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2020 3:48:16 PM EDT
Hello, need some quick advice:

What's the best/most efficient approved online "training" that will be certified and acceptable?

Do I have to apply to my circuit court?  How do I find out which court?  I'm in Alexandria near the Arlington city limits

Do I fill out the application from the state police, then hand deliver it to the court with the other documents?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hello, need some quick advice:

Do I have to apply to my circuit court?  How do I find out which court?  I'm in Alexandria near the Arlington city limits

Do I fill out the application from the state police, then hand deliver it to the court with the other documents?

Thanks.
View Quote

You have to know the exact location of your house relative to city and county boundaries.
Arlington is a county.

Who do you pay property taxes to is a good identifier.

You MUST apply to the Circuit Court in the City or County you reside in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I read an article that online training would not be acceptable after Jan 1??  David
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read an article that online training would not be acceptable after Jan 1??  David
View Quote

That's what I'm worried about.

Just the training or the whole application?

Is there a site to look up your circuit by your address?  Renting btw.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe you need to have the application submitted before Jan 1 if you are planning to satisfy the training reqt with an online course.

The VSP application should be adequate, but best to check the website for your local jurisdiction so you understand their intake process, which may have changed due to their COVID procedures.

As noted above, Arlington is a county, not a city.  Cities in VA are independent and not in a county, even if they are surrounded by a county...so Arlington and Alexandria are two different jurisdictions.  You definitely need to know in which you live to get the application submitted to the correct place.  Assuming you are registered to vote at your current address, you can verify your county/city by looking up your polling place:  https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation/Lookup/polling

Either way, you need to get on this tomorrow because the circuit courts in both jurisdictions are closed Thursday and Friday this week.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I believe you need to have the application submitted before Jan 1 if you are planning to satisfy the training reqt with an online course.

The VSP application should be adequate, but best to check the website for your local jurisdiction so you understand their intake process, which may have changed due to their COVID procedures.

As noted above, Arlington is a county, not a city.  Cities in VA are independent and not in a county, even if they are surrounded by a county...so Arlington and Alexandria are two different jurisdictions.  You definitely need to know in which you live to get the application submitted to the correct place.  Assuming you are registered to vote at your current address, you can verify your county/city by looking up your polling place:  https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation/Lookup/polling

Either way, you need to get on this tomorrow because the circuit courts in both jurisdictions are closed Thursday and Friday this week.
View Quote

Great stuff thank you.

Which is the best/least costly course online?
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Great stuff thank you.

View Quote

Can't help there unfortunately.  I provided a copy of my DD214 to satisfy that aspect of the application...more years ago than I care to remember.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@Geohans

https://virginiaconcealed.com/get-certified/

This is the one my wife did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great stuff thank you.

@Geohans

https://virginiaconcealed.com/get-certified/

This is the one my wife did.

Thanks

Completed course and got certificate.

Their email said the application and certificate must be postmarked before December 31; I’ll try to confirm this.  VAConcealed promised a second email with instructions that hasn’t arrived.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.alexandriava.gov/ClerkOfCircuitCourt
Alexandria Circuit Court Clerk website says
To obtain an appointment for a concealed handgun permit application, send an e-mail to: [email protected]  
Your e-mail must include:

Full name of applicant, their email address and phone number.
Two preferred dates and times for a video or in-person appointment.
Attach scans of your application (revision 07-16-2020) and supporting documentation.
Please do not attach pictures of your documents as they are not legible for loading into the Court’s systems
The Clerk’s office will contact you to provide further instructions. Please visit the Concealed Handgun Permits section below to download the application and review additional requirements.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Results:

Got my and my wife's apps hand delivered to the drop box on King Street for District Court.

$50 check each, application, photos of drivers licenses and certificate of course completion.

Had a couple chats on the phone with the folks there; all okay. they expect no problems processing under 2020 rules.

If a glitch occurs, I'm out $140 for two online certificates!

Curious if my AZ carry permit will be honored if I have new VA drivers license and my VA permit application submitted.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Renewed mine and submitted my wife's initial.  She did the online class through Spartan Core.  Our costs for the permits was $30 combined.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Good luck with your CHPs!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I used a copy of my DD-214, but my wife used her hunter safety card and got hers no problem. With Lord Blackface's new bullshit rules, I wonder if this is still an option, if so VDGIF offers online safety courses.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top