Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2021 7:48:13 PM EDT
I was looking to see if the hometown team had bright ideas for an O-5 headed to the NCR for their first go at the Pentagon.

Specifically, how can I keep shooting some IDPA on the side? Or find a range that doesn't require a personal loan to join...

VRE vs. Metro.  Which one and why?

If you were planning on living in the area for two years, would you consider living in Alexandria or in a hip area?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the NRA HQ range has IDPA.

Unless you are living in the exurbs or farther VRE makes no sense, just go metro.

Alexandria is trendy, if that's your speed look at Arlington as well.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent 3 tours at Belvoir/PNT.

Lived in Springfield and Alexandria the first 2.

Bought a house in Leesburg for the last and retired there in Jan. We love Loudoun Co. Early morning drive is about 40-50 to DC…but I feel like it takes an hour to go just about anywhere in the DMV.

I avoid the 95 corridor like the plague.

Just get ready for lots of people and traffic no matter where you go.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
DC Metro area is proof that our government failed along time ago.

No new highways in 40 years despite the population doubling.

Commutes are horrific.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#4]
New range is opening in Ashburn.. Supposed to have steel shoots and competitions. No idea if IDPA or IPSC based.  Low end membership is reasonable for NoVa..  Will be checking it out when they open. I'm not associated with the range.

https://xcal.com/shooting-sports/
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
NRA/Fairfax Practical Shooters does IDPA but it fills up in minutes. Fairfax Rod and Gun Club does a monthly match and you do not have to be a member. It's a pretty big match so easy to get a spot and they are very friendly.

Other options further away in Maryland, that I have not tried, are  Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore and Anne Arundel Fish & Game Club

Quantico Shooting Club (@ Marine Corps Base Quantico) and Fredericksburg Rod & Gun Club have USPSA.

Do you have a Practiscore account?

I am a member at Sharpshooters in Lorton. Its an indoor 20 yard range that's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Not great but it's convenient enough to go regularly. Bring your own ammo and targets and the membership (w/ mil discount) makes the overall cost pretty reasonable.  

Alexandria is a great choice for the Pentagon and all the new construction has added a surprising number of young people to the area. It's not all Q-Tips like it used to be. Lots of bars and restaurants but it is expensive--in every respect.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#7]
OP- do you have kids or other things you need to consider like wife job, schools, yard, etc.?

The best range around in my opinion in northern VA is Elite. I don’t think they do shooting competitions, I really don’t know, but it’s a nice to place to at least shoot.

If I was single and only had to be here two years, I would get something closer to work that had stuff I could walk to on my free time. Bar, restaurants, shops, etc.

My sister in laws husband reportedly is getting posted to the pentagon in about a year and a half after his current assignment is over.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top