Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2020 10:00:05 PM EDT
We need to start hitting the GA again hard on HB421.

We've taken a breather after the hard fought battle and defeating HB961 for this year.

Now, it's time to get up and get back at it.

HB421 is every bit as dangerous as 961.  It removes Statewide Preemption and allows localities to institute their own ordinances regarding firearm possession, storage, carrying and transport.

Basically, what this bill provides for is regardless of what state law is, an individual municipality can outright BAN open/ concealed carry, possession or storage of certain firearms.

It also repeals manufacturer protections from litigation.

WE NEED TO DEFEAT THIS BILL!

Do you think Loudoun County, Richmond, Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, etc. won't jump at the ability to enact their very own anti-gun laws and outright bans?  How's that going to work for us?

We need to get back in the saddle and give this piece of shit legislation the same treatment we gave Levine's.

HB421 is in the Senate Judiciary Committee.  It is not yet on a docket, but we have to hit them up, hard!

The same people we hit for 961, we need to hit for 421

HB 421 Firearms, ammunition, etc.; control by localities by governing possession, etc., within locality.
Introduced by: Marcia S. "Cia" Price | all patrons    ...    notes | add to my profiles

SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:
Control of firearms by localities. Grants localities authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, or motion governing the possession, carrying, storage, or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof in the locality. Various provisions limiting such authority are repealed. Provisions limiting the authority of localities and state governmental entities to bring lawsuits against certain firearms manufacturers and others are also repealed.

The bill also provides an exception to the requirement that an ordinance enacted regarding the disposition of certain firearms acquired by localities must provide that any firearm received be offered for sale by public auction or sealed bids to a person licensed as a dealer. The bill allows such ordinance to provide that if the individual surrendering the firearm requests in writing that the firearm be destroyed, then such firearm will be destroyed by the locality.

Edited to add a key notation by @Ben

When you contact these people, please emphasize that all citizens in the Commonwealth have the same rights, and we can't expect them to know the different rules for 100+ localities within the commonwealth.

Passing this would put the state in the awkward position of allowing localities to dictate restrictions on constitutional issues, and could set the precedent of local authorities passing laws on other constitutional issues- such as gay rights, marriage, or free speech. This is unacceptable.

Don't make it a gun issue. Be someone who is only slightly pro gun, but GREATLY concerned about this an equality and practicality issue.

UPDATE: HB421, along with 812, 1004 and probably every other piece of anti-gun owner legislation has been rubber stamped and Referred with Substitute.  Nothing being tabled.

The fight is now ON to prevent floor vote passage.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:34:08 PM EDT
[#2]
VCDL has an auto mailer for HB 421

Click here to write your Senator or Delegate.

Tell them to Oppose HB 421

HB 421 is the top priority right now, as the Left can accomplish with this end of preemption exactly what they could with the ban, in all counties and cities run by democrats. They will make such convoluted laws that no one will be able to keep track. AR possession banned in Fairfax... AR and AK and PCC’s in Richmond... PCC, threaded pistols and AR’s in Alexandria... AK’s and all centerfire rifles with a threaded barrel and a pistol grip in nameyourcity...
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
The sponsors who are trying to pass this garbage are...

HOUSE PATRONS
Marcia S. "Cia" Price (chief patron)
Betsy B. Carr
Eileen Filler-Corn
Patrick A. Hope
Kaye Kory
Mark H. Levine
Alfonso H. Lopez
Marcus B. Simon

SENATE PATRONS
Jennifer B. Boysko

Tell them this is NOT what you sent them to do (even if you didn’t vote for them).
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Can VCDL make auto mailer for the moderate senators who can vote against?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
These are the Senators we hit up for 961.  Hit them again for 421.

Deeds
GA: 804-698-7525
District: 434-296-5491
[email protected]

Lewis
GA: 804-698-7506
District: 757-787-1094
[email protected]

Petersen
GA: 804-698-7534
District: 703-349-3361
[email protected]

Edwards
GA: 804-698-7521
District: 540-985-8690
[email protected]

Add:
Sen. Jennifer Boysko
GA: 804-698-7533
District: 703-437-0086
[email protected]

And ask her to redeem herself after she failed on 961.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Cross-posted to GD

VA HB421
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#7]
‘wrote this up as a letter for anyone to use.  
It can be edited as needed: cut or add whatever you like, and use as a snail mail, email, or take ideas for phone calls...

Dear (insert Virginia senator or delegate name),

I applaud much of the work you do in the (House/ Senate), and would like to continue to vote for you in the future.  That will not be the case, however, unless you vote to block HB 421.

I am a firearms owner, as are members of my family and extended family.  None of us are violent criminals, just law-abiding citizens of the commonwealth who enjoy target shooting, hunting and competitions.  Some family members use firearms as part of their livelihood, working on the farm.  For some, self-defense is our sole concern.

When you folks write gun laws, we are NOT the type of people that should be affected, because we are NOT criminals.  However, many of the laws being proposed lately would restrict our ability to own, carry, transport or use firearms, rather than doing anything to reduce violence.  The laws just make it harder for good, peaceful citizens to defend ourselves from the criminals you should be focusing your laws and your attention on, and do nothing to hinder criminals... nothing to keep them from acquiring or using a gun to commit evil.  Because they’ll just ignore the law, as usual.  It’s why they’re called criminals.

Want to affect criminals?  Want to reduce criminal activity?  Stiffen the punishments for crimes.  Lengthen the minimum sentences.  Stop dropping firearm charges when prosecuting assaults, robberies, and rapes.  Don’t pass laws on possession that hurt good people who will follow the law, turning them into victims.

HB 421 would remove the state laws’ preemption over cities and counties, resulting in a hodgepodge of conflicting laws all across the state, going something like this: AR-15 possession will be banned in Fairfax... AR’s and AK’s and PCC’s in Richmond... PCC’s, threaded pistols and AR’s in Alexandria... AK’s and all centerfire rifles with a threaded barrel and a pistol grip in Chrystal City.  Are you confused yet?  Could you remember that if you were driving across the state to get to the beach for a family vacation, or getting out of town for some time in the country and a visit to Luray Caverns?

With a different set of laws for possession, use, storage and transport in every county and city, no one would be able to keep track of it.  Or the changes through the year.  How many citizens would be arrested for carrying a gun that is legal in their city but outlawed two towns over?  Or for leaving a rifle locked in the trunk in a case that is acceptable in one country, but the next requires it to be disassembled as well?

While a world without violence is something we all may strive to attain, it isn’t the world we live in.  We have and carry firearms for defense as well as other lawful reasons, and House Bill 421 would end up making criminals out of us because we crossed a county line.  Or into the city, the wrong city.  Criminalizing citizens for exercising their 2nd amendment rights in a peaceful manner makes no sense at all.

Please do the right thing, and vote “NO” on HB 421.

Looking forward to hearing of your support and voting for you again,
(Signature)
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Good Morning Arfcom

Rise and Shine

WE HAVE WORK TO DO!
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Autoreply from Boysko to the email I sent to the BCC list. Seems like her Chief of Staff might need a few hundred phone calls from 'constituents' with immediate concerns today.....

Thank you for reaching out to me during the 2020 General Assembly Session. Your views and concerns matter greatly to me. I review email daily and my staff ensures that all bill positions are logged in for my review before votes.

We prioritize replies to constituents during this busy time. Please reply with your address if you didn't include it on your first email.

You can verify that I am your legislator at https://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/.

To check the status of a bill, you can check lis.virginia.gov.You can receive bill updates for up to 5 bills by signing up for lobbyist in a box.

For scheduling and immediate constituent concerns, please call my Chief of Staff, Karen Harrison, at 703-437-0086

Kind regards,

Jennifer
Office of Senator Jennifer B. Boysko
33rd District, Virginia Senate
1-804-698-7533
Room E513, Pocahontas Building
703-437-0086 District Office

--
Senator Jennifer Boysko
Senate of Virginia, District 33
1-703-437-0086 District Office
1-804-698-7533; Room E 513 Pocahontas Building
Chief of Staff Karen Harrison
jenniferboysko.com
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#10]
HB421 WILL BE HEARD IN COMMITTEE ON MONDAY 2/24

Hit the phones and emails.  We have today and tomorrow to flood them!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#11]
You guys rock!
I'm on it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Done!

and my Wife done too!

BTT
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Called em all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#14]
OP Updated
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
"Referred with Substitute"

What was the substitute? SB35?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Hit...again and again.  Also, don't forget to mail delegates about the senate bills in the house now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#17]
SUBSTITUTE TEXT OF HB421 JUST UPLOADED

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB421S1
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
They basically changed it to match SB35 exactly which already passed the Senate on a party line vote.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+sum+SB35
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
so what im seeing is essentially HB961 is now passed on a town by town basis?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so what im seeing is essentially HB961 is now passed on a town by town basis?
View Quote
No, I don’t think it is as bad as HB421 originally proposed. It is not good but I believe it is more narrowly written as to what counties and municipalities can regulate. Basically, carry in public buildings, places and events.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, I don’t think it is as bad as HB421 originally proposed. It is not good but I believe it is more narrowly written as to what counties and municipalities can regulate. Basically, carry in public buildings,PLACES and events.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
View Quote
so like you mean.......anywhere then?

#seemslegit
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

so like you mean.......anywhere then?

#seemslegit
View Quote
PLEASE read the text for yourself and not pull my words out of context.

I didn’t say it wasn’t bad. I am saying the original text of HB421 was even worse.

We need to fight this but we need to understand exactly what the text actually states first in order to frame our argument against.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#23]
It looks like the House committee reported SB35 (Senate version of preemption weakening) with a substitute.  Does this mean that the house did the opposite of the senate and substituted HB421 for SB35?  I can’t figure out where to actually see the substitute language.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
SUBSTITUTE TEXT OF HB421 JUST UPLOADED

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?201+ful+HB421S1
View Quote
Based on my not-a-lawyer reading of the text in the link, it looks like they took what was SB35 and plugged that language into HB421. Basically states any locality can make it illegal to possess a firearm, ammunition, or components thereof on locality property or private venues being used for locality events.  These include buildings, parks, community centers, etc.

It also has the bit about permitted events, as well as like events which would be permitted (weird fucking thing to have in there....it’s has a permit or it doesn’t) being able to be made no possession zones.

I’m guessing they thought HB421 was too hot to pass so they plugged in the already Senate approved SB35 language.

Death by a thousand cuts, ask for more and settle for something, just move the ball forward, etc

Need to get R voters out in the next few elections if we have any chance of rolling this shit back ASAP
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#25]
What really concerns me most;

[prohibited] (iv) in any public street, road, alley, or sidewalk or public right-of-way or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public and is being used by or is adjacent to a permitted event or an event that would otherwise require a permit. (underlined by me)

So, I could see that faggoty Alexandria Farmer's Market becoming a "NO GUNS ZONE" (aka "VICTIM RICH ENVIRONMENT") but that could also include the public street in front of the venue. That could be a real problem if you happen to be driving by, unaware of the event.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

[prohibited] (iv) in any public street, road, alley, or sidewalk or public right-of-way or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public and is being used by or is adjacent to a permitted event or an event that would otherwise require a permit. (underlined by me)

So, I could see that faggoty Alexandria Farmer's Market becoming a "NO GUNS ZONE" (aka "VICTIM RICH ENVIRONMENT") but that could also include the public street in front of the venue. That could be a real problem if you happen to be driving by, unaware of the event.
View Quote
My biggest issue, which just came to me, goes back to the below piece from the updated language:

to a permitted event or an event that would otherwise require a permit.

Soooo, does Lobby Day fall into the event which has a permit, or an event which would otherwise require a permit.

Seems like a great way for Richmond to make it illegal to have any sort of firearm presence on Lobby Day going forward, so long as they put up signs saying it's a gun free zone at the ingress/egress points:

Notice of any ordinance adopted pursuant to subsection E shall be posted (i) at all entrances of any building, or part thereof, owned or used by the locality, or by any authority or local governmental entity created or controlled by the locality, for governmental purposes; (ii) at all entrances of any public park owned by the locality, or by any authority or local governmental entity created or controlled by the locality; (iii) at all entrances of any recreation or community center facilities operated by the locality, or by any authority or local governmental entity created or controlled by the locality; and (iv) at all entrances or other appropriate places of ingress and egress to any public street, road, alley, or sidewalk or public right-of-way or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public and is being used by or is adjacent to a permitted event or an event that would otherwise require a permit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My biggest issue, which just came to me, goes back to the below piece from the updated language:

Soooo, does Lobby Day fall into the event which has a permit, or an event which would otherwise require a permit.

Seems like a great way for Richmond to make it illegal to have any sort of firearm presence on Lobby Day going forward, so long as they put up signs saying it's a gun free zone at the ingress/egress points:

Notice of any ordinance adopted pursuant to subsection E shall be posted (i) at all entrances of any building, or part thereof, owned or used by the locality, or by any authority or local governmental entity created or controlled by the locality, for governmental purposes; (ii) at all entrances of any public park owned by the locality, or by any authority or local governmental entity created or controlled by the locality; (iii) at all entrances of any recreation or community center facilities operated by the locality, or by any authority or local governmental entity created or controlled by the locality; and (iv) at all entrances or other appropriate places of ingress and egress to any public street, road, alley, or sidewalk or public right-of-way or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public and is being used by or is adjacent to a permitted event or an event that would otherwise require a permit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the Dems don't want an armed Lobby Day in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sure, but this would put in place something which couldn't be challenged immediately in court like the emergency decree was.
Top Top