Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2021 9:05:21 PM EDT
I will be heading west to east and my timetable will having me stopping somewhere just east of... St. Louis.    I lived in St. Charles for a year (2008) and mostly stayed on my side of the river.  I know enough that East Saint Louis is no place to be.
The obvious route is 70 east from KC (not my actual starting point) but I'll want to/need to stop as soon as it safe, west of STL will be a little soon.   I hate driving through STL but I'll do it if I get there the right time of day.
From there I could go south to Paducah or continue straight east to Lexington, KY then south, I'm thinking Lexington to stay away from Nashville and have flat roads to make time.   My first stop for any length of time will be NW of Knoxville for a couple of days with family.

At least it was daylight when this happened to me ~20 years ago.

Vacation - St Louis Needing Directions!

This kicker is I'm doing the on the cheap, so where would you stop for the night in a SUV loaded with most of your valuables?   I'm open to a campground where I could get out and walk a little then sleep in the vehicle, I just lose focus if I drive more than eight hours.   Cheap hotel where the car is right outside your door?

Mount Vernon, IL?
Link Posted: 8/8/2021 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Came to say Mt. Vernon, IL.   But, I haven’t been there in over 10 years.   FWIW.

I think you’d be fine there though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm open to a campground where I could get out and walk a little then sleep in the vehicle, I just lose focus if I drive more than eight hours . . .
View Quote

There are about 13-14 hours of daylight right now. Seems a waste to spend five hours parked when you're trying to get somewhere. Why not just stop at a park for a cat nap and short walk, and then get back on the road? I bet you can do more than 8 if you allow yourself a break or two.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are about 13-14 hours of daylight right now. Seems a waste to spend five hours parked when you're trying to get somewhere. Why not just stop at a park for a cat nap and short walk, and then get back on the road? I bet you can do more than 8 if you allow yourself a break or two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm open to a campground where I could get out and walk a little then sleep in the vehicle, I just lose focus if I drive more than eight hours . . .

Valid point, I'm just not wired that way, I have a very active mind and my mind starts to wonder.    It's not just that I'm getting old, I've always been that way.    Even in my 20s I would feel my self not paying attention like I should.

I would love to drive 12 - 15 hours in one shot and I know a lot of people do that easily, it just isn't me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 12:54:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Somewhere around Mount Vernon, or one of the little towns along the interstate east of Fairview Heights.

You'll be able to find a campground close to Mount Vernon, and there is a reasonably nice rest stop east of Fairview Heights a few miles.
View Quote

I think that is my best shot.   The travel estimates make that easy if I drive straight through but I'll have to stop to take some on and drop some off.    I think it will be perfect.

I may even stay at Motel 6 if I can sell some more stuff.   Some of the reviews are okay, some are not.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top