Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2020 9:59:41 AM EDT
Heading deep into PA next week and need to know the laws on carrying a rifle.

Heading from Ohio, getting on the Turnpike where 70 meets 76.

Heading up to Ft. Indiantown Gap - then to a place about 30 Minutes NW of Philly, then back to Carlisle then back.

Turn pike or highway the whole way except for a few Amish areas. The guys I am meeting up with at each point will stay in contact with me for any potential troubles - i.e. BLM blocking the highway etc.

I have no Ohio CCW, so what are my legal options for carry a rifle with ammo - for the "just in case" situation.

(I had planned on having my CCW by now but my guy who teaches came down with Pneumonia in both lungs and the Rona at the same time 2 months ago so he is still a bit out of it since almost being dead.)

I'll keep it simple, 14.5 inch barreled AR w/ pinned flash hider and a few mags in and mag pouch shoulder sling for a few extra. Nothing fancy.

Any help with PA laws would help. Want to stay legal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Rifle must be transported unloaded in your vehicle. If you have it in a case keep ammo/loaded mags in a separate compartment.

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
View Quote

ETA: outside of your vehicle you can carry a loaded rifle without a license
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok.
Not messing with a pistol.

I will be in an F150.

Rifle in a case in passenger section and ammo in rifle case in back seat?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok.

I will be in an F150.

View Quote

One or the other will need to be in a locked container.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok.

I will be in an F150.

Rifle and ammo being in different cases (or different compartments of the same case) is all that's required, no need for either to be locked.

I transport my long guns in these cases with loaded mags in the pouches, perfectly legal as per letter of the law:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rifle must be transported unloaded in your vehicle. If you have it in a case keep ammo/loaded mags in a separate compartment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.

If I'm not mistaken, open carry of firearms isn't legal during a "state of emergency", which Wolf has put in place, via the "opiod epidemic" declarations?  If I understand all that correctly, I was under the impression that open carry would only be legal if you have a PA carry permit while under said state of emergency?

Fucked up, but that's what it is.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Rifle and ammo being in different cases (or different compartments of the same case) is all that's required, no need for either to be locked.

I transport my long guns in these cases with loaded mags in the pouches, perfectly legal as per letter of the law:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125713/opplanet-eagle-gun-storage-rc-28ak-0_jpg-1659670.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok.

I will be in an F150.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125713/opplanet-eagle-gun-storage-rc-28ak-0_jpg-1659670.JPG

Yeah, but he's coming from OH. Does he not have to abide by FOPA?
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If I'm not mistaken, open carry of firearms isn't legal during a "state of emergency", which Wolf has put in place, via the "opiod epidemic" declarations?  If I understand all that correctly, I was under the impression that open carry would only be legal if you have a PA carry permit while under said state of emergency?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that ended? Plus wasn't there also a clarification given that it does not affect carrying of firearms? (which is still dubious I know because letter of law says it does)

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok.

I will be in an F150.

Yeah, but he's coming from OH. Does he not have to abide by FOPA?

If OP is transporting in compliance with both PA and OH law FOPA protections are irrelevant anyway
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys.

Trip is postponed to the week after Thanksgiving.

Good info.
Top Top